• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8 Honeywell Magnetic Tape Recorders HD96D HD96E ( Time Sensitive )

Atari26003

Experienced Member
I found an auction online, for 8 honeywell Magnetic Tape Recorders( Some are Metrum). The auction ends in 3 days and few hours from the time of this post. I have personally no need for 8 drives and would only like to keep 3 out of the lot, the rest of them are up for grabs if I am able to obtain them. I would be willing to go through with the auction and help pay to freight them to just outside Ottawa Ontario but I cannot do it alone because of the vast amount of money involved. The auction will not break up into smaller amounts sadly. The Freight costs $1400 to bring it to Ottawa and from there it would be available for pick up.

I have included the pictures of the machines as well in case you need to know anything more please contact me and I will get you an answer asap.

Thanks!

ITEM SPECIFICATIONS:

They include two models of Tape Recorders the Honeywell HD96D and the Honeywell HD96E

Packing density is variable from 16kbpi to 33Kbpi
Tracks; Max of 24 Digital track and 4 Analog tracks. User selectable.
Last use of systems is 6+ years.
HD96-D Width 44" , Height 73", Depth 42".
HD96-E Width 22" , Height 80", Depth 42".
HD96-D Weight 1020 lbs.
HD96-E Weight 605 lbs.

pic7.jpgpic4.jpgpic1.jpg

Last edited:
I can vouch for Atari, I've known him for quite awhile now and I will actually be pitching in for this along with him.
I'm sure there aren't many people who need a tape drive, and I honestly don't have a need for one now either.
But I think about the fact that this is being sold by the government and it's actually the second time they've posted it with a severe price drop which I think means this is everyone's last chance to buy it before they toss it.
So I personally will use this tape drive for a decoration piece and tinker with it when I can and or if I find a machine to hook to it.
If you've wanted a nice vintage computing decoration piece and want to save some old equipment from finding it's way to the dump it would be great if you could chip in.
Trust me you'll be getting a tape drive for a lot less then you could if you found one on ebay. He hasn't figured out an exact price he wants to ask yet since I think he was going to see how many people are going to want one but I can tell you it's going to be less then 500 a piece.

Also some info he left out, the 3 that he is keeping are two of the Honeywell short and wide ones (HD96-D) and the third one is the one I chipped in for (a thin and tall one, HD96-E, this tape drive is actually branded Metrum but is apparently also from Honeywell just re-branded).
So that means there are 4 Honeywell HD96-Ds available and 1 Metrum HD96-E available.

Back