• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

For Sale: HP Pavilion ATX Socket 7 Motherboard (PCI, ISA, I/O shield included)

jmetal88

Veteran Member
So, I just bought this thing on eBay with the intention of using it in my floppy imaging machine only to discover it doesn't work with my 4-drive floppy controller at all. The board is functional, although it seems to be pretty finicky, and it took a while messing with the settings before I actually got it to boot with my hard drive.

Anyway, since I don't have my camera usable right now, here's the auction I bought it from, which has a couple of pictures. Note that I cut the top off the I/O shield so it would fit in a standard ATX case, since I don't have an HP Pavilion case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321535007236?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The price it says on the auction is not actually what I paid for it, as it was on sale for $24 when I bought it. If I get back that or close to that, I'll be happy. Since I did modify the I/O shield already, I'd rather just sell it to someone else than try to return it.

I've got a stack of Socket 7 boards about two feet high none of which works any longer mainly because of those damn electrolytic cans! They all need to be recapped. If there's anybody here who will recap a few of them for me, lemme know the approximate cost per board. Some are boards I'd really like to return to service.

I should probably re-cap this board before selling it. It works, but some of the caps don't look too good. It doesn't have too many electrolytics, so I don't think it'd be too expensive or take too much time.

I've got a stack of Socket 7 boards about two feet high none of which works any longer mainly because of those damn electrolytic cans! They all need to be recapped. If there's anybody here who will recap a few of them for me, lemme know the approximate cost per board. Some are boards I'd really like to return to service.
Why not have a go at it yourself? If you lose a few in the process of trying does it really matter?

Poor thing. Surely there's some old coot in the neighborhood who is into packet radio radio who can help out. Postage costs these days are absolutely horrendous. I mean think of all that wasted time pickng out a few suitable boards, packaging them up and the added expense of popping down to the local freight agent/post office. A hell of a task if you ask me.

Last edited:
Come to think of it I know someone who used to repair boards at Sprint. I called her and she said she'd gladly bring her toolkit over and recap these boards. Thanks for the suggestion. :) BTW, she said she even did surface mount stuff so she can do the caps blindfolded. :)

Buy top quality caps before you get her over there; it's not worth recapping with cheap caps. Use appropriate series from Rubycon, Nichicon, Panasonic, United Chemicon. And you are probably best off not purchasing them on ebay (lots of fakes out there). Hit the badcaps forum if you need help selecting appropriate replacements. Sorry for preaching if you already knew all that.

Okay, I'm gonna hold off on selling this 'til after I re-cap it. It only has 13 electrolytics, so it's not going to take much time and it's only going to cost me a few dollars in capacitors. I'll order an ATX power connector for my M5ATA at the same time. It has all the holes and solder pads needed for the 20-pin ATX connector, it's just not installed.

Alright, board is re-capped now, feel free to make an offer. Probably looking closer to the $32 range with the new capacitors on. Board fires up the first time I press the button, now that it's re-capped. Took a few tries when I first got it, so it's definitely in better shape now.

EDIT: I'll add photos of my own in a bit.

EDIT 2: I just managed to get a partial refund for the board from the original seller. The seller had a total satisfaction guarantee, so I didn't feel bad about asking and mentioning the cost of the replacement capacitors. So now I'd still be alright with making my original $24 back.

Last edited:
This board is still available. It's been sitting in a box wrapped with anti-static bubble wrap since initial test after the re-cap was completed.

Back