• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Does anyone need any copies of HP-UX for the HP 700 series computers?

jmetal88

Veteran Member
Yesterday, I lugged home what appears to be an HP Apollo 720 machine from my university that the school was about a day from throwing away. Today I went back and looked for the installation discs, because I realized I probably wasn't going to be able to log in to the machine without knowing what credentials they set it up with. And well, I came back with a filing cabinet drawer FULL of HP-UX installation, documentation, and application CDs. Some of them are unopened, some of them are opened. There are multiple versions between 8.0 and 9.1. Not sure what's all in there yet, as I haven't gone through it all. Anyway, I really only need one copy for myself, so I was wondering if anyone here needed any copies. I'm pretty sure they're all for the 700 series, although the 8.0 CDs don't appear to be specifically marked as such. It looks like the last copies that showed up on eBay of any version sold for about $10 apiece? Does that seem fair? One of 'em sold for $20, but it had like 6 CDs and is a newer version, and the newest version I have comes with three CDs (four if you count the Application CD, which seems to be bundled separately). Anyway, I might follow up with some pictures here in a bit. The camera on my phone broke, though, so I need to use my standalone camera and the battery isn't charged right now.

The only original set of HP-UX CDs I have is a 10.20 set. I'd be curious to know what versions exactly you have. Do you have a version 9.05 set? I might be interested in picking up some sets.

-Glen

Actually, it looks like I misread the newest set. I have between 8.0 and 9.01, not 9.1. So it looks like I have 8.0, 8.07, 9.0, and 9.01 if I'm reading these things correctly (and it's hard to tell which discs go with which other discs, with some of these). I'll try to sort through them all here in a bit so I can get pictures of some of them. The sealed sets, I can't actually tell which version is inside some of them except by matching the date on the spine with the open sets.

Alright, I just went through them all. It turns out the only actual OS installation discs I have are for 8.05 and 8.07 (marked June 1991 and December 1991, respectively). I have documentation CDs for several versions down to 8.0, and Application CDs up to 9.01.

I have four unopened sets of 8.05 and three unopened sets of 8.07. I have two unopened sets each of July 1992 and September 1992 application discs. I also have one unopened set each of the March 1992, February 1993, and June 1993 application discs. The 1993 discs are version 9.0. Not sure about the others, but they're probably either 8.05 or 8.07. There are more variations within the documentation and opened sets of installation discs, but I'll get to those later.

EDIT: The computer seems to indicate it's running 9.01 when it boots up. I wonder if the 9.01 application disc updated the version number, or if they actually had 9.01 installation discs in some other location?

EDIT 2: Oh, nope. I do have one set of 9.01 installation discs, and they are opened. But since I only have one set of them, I think I want to keep them.

Last edited:
I have a quite a few of the 9.xx and 10.2 forward for the 800 and 700 (PA-RISC) machines, but might be interested in the 8.xx ones. You had indicated these were with a 700 series, but do you have any that were for the 300 series by any chance? Were there any tapes available to be rescued?

IMG_1094.jpg

Here are the OS installation discs, each including one Core OS disc, one Installation disc and one Support disc. Full list:

4x Sealed June 1991 (8.0.5)
2x Opened June 1991 (8.0.5)
3x Sealed Dec. 1991 (8.0.7) -- These have June 1991 'Support' discs.
2x Opened Dec. 1991 (8.0.7) -- These have June 1991 'Support' discs.
1x Opened Dec. 1992 (9.0.1) -- I definitely want to keep this one, because this is the only one of this version I have. I only want to keep one each of the other versions, and will probably only want to keep opened copies.

Application disc versions to follow.

I have a quite a few of the 9.xx and 10.2 forward for the 800 and 700 (PA-RISC) machines, but might be interested in the 8.xx ones. You had indicated these were with a 700 series, but do you have any that were for the 300 series by any chance? Were there any tapes available to be rescued?

No, they didn't have anything that said it was for the 300 series.

IMG_1095.jpg

And here are all the Applications discs. Full list:

1x Opened June 1991
2x Opened Dec. 1991
2x Sealed Jan. 1992
2x Sealed March 1992
2x Opened March 1992
2x Sealed May 1992
2x Sealed July 1992
2x Sealed Sept. 1992
2x Sealed Feb. 1993 (Rev. 9.0, 2 Discs)
1x Opened April 1993 (Rev. 9.0, 2 Discs)
1x Sealed June 1993 (Rev. 9.0, 2 Discs)

The 1991-1992 stuff all seems to be version 8.0.5, although I can't tell for sure on the later sealed ones. The 1993 actually printed the version on the case. I'll probably want to keep one of the later 1992 and one of the later 1993 sets.

Forgot to address the tape question. I got a 16-track drive, a box full of backup tapes, and three additional individual tapes with the machine. No idea if the drive is working or the tapes are in good condition yet. There do appear to be two retail software tapes. One is a program called Wingz 1.1a. The other is a tape containing Island Write, Island Draw, and Island Paint version 3.0.

IMG_1096.jpg

And finally, here are the LaserROM documentation discs. Couldn't put these on edge, 'cause they have no labels.

Full list:

July 1991 - Opened (8.0+)
Jan. 1992 - Opened (8.0+)
Feb. 1992 - Sealed (8.0+)
March 1992 - Opened (2 Discs) (8.0+)
April 1992 - Opened (2 Discs) (8.0+)
May 1992 - Opened (2 Discs) (8.0+)
June 1992 -Opened (8.0)
July 1992 - Opened (8.0)
Aug. 1992 - Opened (8.0)
Sept 1992 - Opened (8.0)
Dec. 1992 - Sealed (9.0)
July 1993 - Opened (9.0)

I was initially confused by the '8.0+' markings on the 1991/early 1992 discs, thinking they included HP-UX and documentation, but after looking into it, I think they probably only contain documentation and the + was supposed to be an indicator that the documentation also applies to revisions of 8.0 after the original.

Ah, shoot. I missed a stack of documentation CDs I set off to the side. No picture for these yet, but I've got 'em:

Oct. 1992 - Sealed (9.0)
Nov. 1992 - Sealed (9.0)
Jan. 1993 - Sealed (9.0)
Feb. 1993 - Sealed (9.0)
Mar. 1993 - Sealed (9.0)
Apr. 1993 - Sealed (9.0)
May 1993 - Sealed (9.0)
June 1993 - Opened (9.0)
Aug. 1993 - Sealed (9.0)

One more CD: CD-ROM Verification Disk v.1.0

I'm not sure what it does, or what it's for. On the disc, it says "FOR DOMAIN m68k and DOMAIN PRISM".

OH WAIT, I think I just figured it out. It's for when you first install a CD drive on your system and you need to make sure it can read/boot/etc. Okay. Looks like this was originally distributed with a "Series 6100 Model 700/S" CD-ROM drive. No idea what happened to the drive, but I've got the disc here. I'll hang onto it at least until the CD drive I ordered off eBay gets here. Funny enough, the cheapest external SCSI CD drive that was on eBay when I looked happened to be an HP model A2655A/C2944D drive, which looks very much like it would have been something marketed for use with this computer.

Funny enough, the cheapest external SCSI CD drive that was on eBay when I looked happened to be an HP model A2655A/C2944D drive, which looks very much like it would have been something marketed for use with this computer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261754733613

I think the closest case style match for that external SCSI CD drive is the 712 series:
http://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?hwimg=430

Looks like the same screwless plastic locking tab mechanism in the back that holds the sliding case top in place. Those can get a little brittle with age and can easily be broken with rough handling.

Ah, yeah. So a couple years after the computer I have, then, but still for one in the 700 series.

Just saw this reply tonight. Sent you an e-mail. Still have all these discs and not much use for them, especially considering how the power supply for this machine failed dramatically and seems to have taken out either my CPU card or IO card or both during testing after my attempted repair.

I believe all HPUX versions south of 10.20 are not Y2K compliant so you may need to set your system clock appropriately.

Back