Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

WTT: Sergey ISA SVGA for Comparable ISA Video Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTT: Sergey ISA SVGA for Comparable ISA Video Adapter

Hey everyone,

I finally managed to get myself a nice IBM 5160! I decided to begin upgrading the system today when I ran into an issue with the Sergey ISA SVGA card when installed in the system. I know the card works because I have tested it in my Commodore PC10-III. All the jumpers are correct so I looked to the forum for help, where I found the following thread:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...rd-IBM-XT-5160

It seems that this card, or the Trident chip on the card, is not compatible with my 5160. I've tried both versions of the BIOS on Sergey's site, along with lots of other troubleshooting to try to get it to work but it's a no go.

So, unless any one knows how to fix the problem I'm having, I would like to trade my card for a VGA/SVGA card that will work in the 5160. Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks so much!

Heather

*EDIT* More information on Sergey's ISA SVGA card is at http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-...s/isa-supervga

Originally posted by SkydivinGirl View Post
    It seems that this card, or the Trident chip on the card, is not compatible with my 5160. I've tried both versions of the BIOS on Sergey's site, along with lots of other troubleshooting to try to get it to work but it's a no go.
    An earlier thread on the subject of sergey's VGA card is [here]. The thread is primarily about the card's incompatibility with an IBM PC, but the IBM XT is also discussed.

At post #13, sergy writes, "I was assuming that if the board works with IBM XT and XT clones it will also work with IBM PC", suggesting compatibility with the IBM XT.

But at post #5, like you, mmruzek writes of an inability to get the card going "in an IBM stock XT".

So, unless any one knows how to fix the problem I'm having, ...
    You may be aware of the special requirements of slot 8 on the 5160 motherboard. If not, ensure that the card is not in slot 8.

... I would like to trade my card for a VGA/SVGA card that will work in the 5160. Please let me know if you can help.
    If you get desperate, I have VGA cards that are known to work in the IBM XT (and IBM PC), but if Stone does not have something, I will be surprised.

*EDIT* More information on Sergey's ISA SVGA card is at http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-...s/isa-supervga
    Unless a fix is identified:
    1. Maybe sergey should remove the "such as IBM PC, IBM XT" from his web site;
    2. I should remove reference to sergey's card at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160/vga/5160_vga.htm

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
      ...but if Stone does not have something, I will be surprised.
      No surprise for you today.
      PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Oh I'm glad I saw this... I was going to build myself one of these cards... for my XT

Comment

Thanks so much for the additional information and responses. I did not know about the slot 8 requirements so that's very helpful for the future. Unfortunately, I had my SVGA card installed in slot 1, closest to the outside of the case.

So, if you have a VGA card then I am definitely interested.

Heather

Comment

How 'bout this?

It's also got the driver/utility disk.
            PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Deal agreed to with Stone to buy a video card.

Thank you!

Heather

Comment

I received an Octek EVGA-16 from Stone. Thanks!

Heather

Comment

I received an Octek EVGA-16 from Stone. Thanks!
                  That card is listed at [here] as a card known to work in an IBM 5160.
                  If you ever acquire an IBM 5150, and find that the card works in that, then let me know so that I can add the card to [here].

Comment

Sure will.

Today I'm working on installing the cards that I want to use in the 5160. I didn't know about the Slot 8 limitations so I'm one slot short of being able to put in all the cards that I want to. Oh well. I'll figure something out.

Heather

Comment

What are the eight cards you want in this machine?

Comment

Sure will.

Today I'm working on installing the cards that I want to use in the 5160. I didn't know about the Slot 8 limitations so I'm one slot short of being able to put in all the cards that I want to. Oh well. I'll figure something out.

Heather
                        Originally posted by Stone View Post
                        What are the eight cards you want in this machine?
                        I think Stone asks this question because there is a very good chance that at least one of the cards you want to install will work in slot 8. I've found that some cards that are not specifically designed for slot 8 will work there anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ibmapc View Post
                          I think Stone asks this question because there is a very good chance that at least one of the cards you want to install will work in slot 8. I've found that some cards that are not specifically designed for slot 8 will work there anyway.
                          That's one possibility and should that not work out the other is replacing two cards with one. Of course another limitation is that anything that goes in slot 8 needs to be a half card as well.

Comment

Here are the cards that I've installed. The only thing I have not yet installed is a parallel port OR network card. The parallel port would be nice because I could use it for parallel functions or plug in one of the Xircom network adapters. On the other hand, a network card would be fine because I may never use the parallel port for anything other than the network adapter. I have two different parallel port cards as well as two different network cards that I can try.

Here's what I have in each slot so far.

Slot 1 - Octek EVGA-16 VGA Adapter
                            Slot 2 - SoundBlaster Compatible Card with Game Port
                            Slot 3 - MIF-IPC-A Clone MIDI Adapter
                            Slot 4 - Lo-tech 2MB EMS Board
                            Slot 5 - Lo-tech 1MB RAM Board
                            Slot 6 - XT-IDE Rev 2 with UART
                            Slot 7 - Sergey ISA Floppy Disk UART

Everything is working great but I'm going to open another thread to ask some memory addressing questions. I know the 2MB EMS Board probably won't be used much, but I'd still like to keep it. Adding that one extra card would get the system precisely where I want it to be.

Heather

Comment

FWIW, if you have the 64K - 256K board it can be very easily rigged to be a 640K board. That might free up Slot 5.

Comment

Working...
                              X