• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Free/trade: IBM PC 5150 + IBM PCjr (not working) for Pickup Near Jenkintown, PA (USA)

WishIHadMoreTime

Hi Folks,

I got an IBM PCjr in the mid-eighties and shortly thereafter a hand-down original IBM PC 5150. I used them hard for several years, retiring both around 1990 and then carrying them around ever since. They've been kept well and dry, but neither worked when I tested them a few months ago, though the 'jr showed a tantalizing sign of life with the initial ROM-init screen *once*. As for the IBM PC...no sound at all from the power supply, which I understand is a weak point in that model.

I have neither the skill nor the time to learn how to fix them or effectively sell the pieces. But I would prefer not to dumpsterize them - I feel that they could be useful to someone in some way and both are a part of history. The 5150 is iconic, while the IBM PCjr is notable because it represents the very first time that the haters came out en masse against a piece of technology.

Ideally, I would trade them to someone for some sort of microcontroller starter kit (which is more my speed these days) like something from the Arduino family. Ultimately I will simply settle for someone who can meet me at any semi-public spot (like a Septa station parking lot) within 30 minutes of Jenkintown, PA (USA). That's a suburb to the north of Philadelphia.

Once yours, maybe you'll fix them up, maybe you'll sell them for pieces, maybe make them into a modern art installation...

Here they are:

--------------

IBM 5150 computer with 8088, 256K RAM, 1 full-height 5.25" floppy drive, 1 half-height 5.25" floppy drive (a later replacement). There's a slight indent on the left side of the case. Between the replacement half-height drive and the dent, I make no claim that this is in pristine shape.

Princeton Graphics HX-12 RGB Monitor
IBM 5151 Monochrome Graphics Monitor
Original IBM PC keyboard
AST SixPackPlus (384K, clock, Parallel Port, Serial Port)
Hercules Graphics Card with Parallel Port (MHS HCT VIDEO 200 8541, HCT "LPT" 200 8509, GENROM 200 CN48178N)
IBM Monochrome Graphics Card
Floppy disk controller
8087 math coprocessor (I used this a lot)

Doesn't turn on at all - no sound from power supply

No software included!

--------------

IBM PCjr computer, 128K RAM, 1 half-height 5.25" floppy drive
IBM PCjr "CGA Plus" Monitor
It has the IR keyboard, but it's not the original chiclet keyboard - as you can see from the picture they are regular keys
IBM Parallel Port sidecar
Racore Expansion Pack with 384K RAM, clock, parallel port, 2nd half-height 5.25" floppy drive
PCjr Joystick
Power supplies for both the PCjr itself and the Racore expansion chassis

Showed the initial boot screen the first time I turned it on, but not after. No smoke or other drama.

No software included!

I'm new on the forum, so I don't believe that I can private-message, and my posts might take awhile to appear since I understand that newbie posts are reviewed manually. You can email me personally by removing the spaces to get my email address: "ma mb ro se 10 at ver izo n.ne t".

To recap:

* Yours for some sort of Arduino trade, or simply for pickup at a location within 30 minutes of Jenkintown, PA (USA).
* I am willing to split the equipment in half (IBM PC + IBM PCjr) if you are only interested in half of it, but I'm not willing to split it into a million pieces and drive all around delivering chip-at-a-time.
* Pickup only - I will meet you anywhere within 30 minutes of Jenkintown, PA (USA)
* Timeframe is any time in April or May, 2015. I have a job during the day, but could meet on the weekend, or evening/morning during the weekday.
* Reply to this post, but expect delays as I am new to the forum and my posts will be moderated. You can also contact me at my email: "ma mb ro se 10 at ver izo n.ne t". I'll check email maybe twice a day.

I have great memories of these computers. The IBM PCjr was a commercial failure, but I loved it. I did Pascal and assembler programming on it and played some games - its deficits never affected me. I coded in the same languages on the IBM PC. On the PC I bought and used an 8087 co-processor to speed calculations of fractals (they were cool back then!). I wish I still had my Epsom RX-80 printer to include, but it went to the trash years ago.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Michael

Attachments

• IBM PCjr with Racore Expansion Chassis.jpg
    IBM PCjr with Racore Expansion Chassis.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Original IBM PC Keyboard.jpg
    Original IBM PC Keyboard.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IBM PC Case.jpg
    IBM PC Case.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1