• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Trade: Am486DX4 120 for Intel 486 DX4 100

GiGaBiTe

Veteran Member
I have a ZEOS 486 motherboard that I'd like to upgrade the CPU on.

It will accept up to a 75 or 100 MHz CPU, but unfortunately it has an Intel chipset and won't work with AMD or Cyrix parts (which is all I have on hand.)

I can offer an Am486 DX4 120 for an Intel 486 DX4 100 or
an Am486 DX2 80 for an Intel 486 DX4 75

Plus a few dollars for USPS shipping.

I have a ZEOS 486 motherboard that I'd like to upgrade the CPU on.

It will accept up to a 75 or 100 MHz CPU, but unfortunately it has an Intel chipset and won't work with AMD or Cyrix parts (which is all I have on hand.)

I can offer an Am486 DX4 120 for an Intel 486 DX4 100 or
an Am486 DX2 80 for an Intel 486 DX4 75

Plus a few dollars for USPS shipping.

I may be a little off on this, but it's worth investigating. I believe that an AMD 486-100 will run on an Intel chipset if the mobo is prior to the Pentium II. Your biggest concern is the voltage, usually a 3.45V for the AMD 486-100 chip. I'm not familiar with the Zeos mobo, but it's probably set for 5 VDC (?). Have you tried to use an AMD CPU yet?

The motherboard manual states it only supports Intel parts:

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Zeos/pdf/python.pdf

(page 56)

It also gets the vcore based on what the bus and multiplier settings are, there is no voltage selection jumper.

I know the chipset is locking out the CPU because any AMD part I toss in won't even get warm when the board is powered on, even after several minutes it will remain cold. I've had experience with Intel chipsets locking out AMD CPUs before on Socket 5 and Socket 7 motherboards which were made only a few years after this board was.

The motherboard manual states it only supports Intel parts:

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Zeos/pdf/python.pdf

(page 56)

It also gets the vcore based on what the bus and multiplier settings are, there is no voltage selection jumper.

I know the chipset is locking out the CPU because any AMD part I toss in won't even get warm when the board is powered on, even after several minutes it will remain cold. I've had experience with Intel chipsets locking out AMD CPUs before on Socket 5 and Socket 7 motherboards which were made only a few years after this board was.

It is what it is. That's seems to be a real nice setup. I do have have an Intel 486-100 but it's in one of my setups and I don't want to break it up. I also have a few of the AMD variety. Do you think that a POD might be a way to go? I saw one Intel 100 on the net but it was going for $99.00. I think that is a little high.

It's really not a nice setup yet unless you consider a board a nice setup lol.

iV4r5g7.jpg

I tossed my last AT style case years ago since it hadn't seen use in a decade or more and it was a huge 8 bay monstrosity of a tower taking up all sorts of room.

I do have a POD-83, but it's in another machine. It'd be a pain to disassemble and swap because it's in a LIF socket under a hard drive bay and would require disassembling the case to get out.

I also think there may be something wrong with the chip because it's dog slow, DOS games run better on my Am486 DX2 80 than on it.

Back