• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

[WTB] Some sort of front-panel programmable computer

roz303

Hi everyone! Quite possibly my most favorite kind of computers are ones that are completely self-contained, and have the fastest programming language designed for the machine available to the user as soon as the machine is switched on - that's right, front panel computers! And I want one! :grin:

What I'm looking for is a vintage machine with lamps and toggle switches, specifically a business computer, or a general purpose real-time computer (such as controllers for industrial machines). I'm not interested in kits or replicas. I'm not *that* interested in microprocessor/microcontroller trainers, because I can buy one new for under $150 (But I wouldn't turn my nose up at a trainer for $50 or under :) ). It doesn't have to be widely known, nor does it have to be in completely working order - though it would have to include the processor board at minimum. I do have two years experience in Java programming (which, if you know Java, you can learn anything else pretty easily), as well as a few years in analog/digital electronics experimentation. I think a restoration project on some obscure machine nobody's heard of would be a really fun project, too!

Some examples of machines I'd be interested in are the HP 1000 series, the Raytheon 704, the PDP 11/05, and the TI 990 series. Machines that are along the lines of these, please :)

You must be able to ship to the US, or be available for pickup around the Columbus, Georgia area.

Your offer must evaluate to "I'll take it!" according to this lovely (unintended, due to forum limitations, sadly) production system in common lisp:

(defun offer (price shipping haspicture)
(if haspicture
(cond ((< (+ price shipping) 200) (format t "I'll take it!"))
(t (format t "I can't afford it!")))
(format t "I'd like to see some pics first please!")))

(If the price and shipping are under 200 bucks and you've got a picture or two of it, I'll take it :p )

If anyone has a serious offer they'd like to make, please, by all means PM me! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Ahaha, close but no cigar :p

I'm not looking specifically for a mini (having one would be awesome nonetheless), but I'm not looking for replicas of vintage systems either. Although that's a pretty cool project!

What I'm looking for could be as large as a mini (if someone was willing to sell for so low, here's to hoping for that!) or as small and obscure as this weird little thing - the point is, front panel fun! (And yes, I do know that the LCM-1001 was probably just learning tool, because it has a 4 bit address space. Not quite capable as a programmable device.)

You do bring up a good point, though. I could forego "guaranteed working" if it comes down to it.

Last edited:
They're pretty neat, especially the KIM-1 "replica", but again, not looking for kits or replicas, but I might be interested in a gmc-4

Last edited:
I was also going to recoment the PDP 8/I project. It is a replica, but its a nice replica, and is servicable and it has the full exprience in one box...

Can I make the following observations..

1) You havn't really defined what you want. The picture you show shows switches and lamps yet you indicicate you might accept key pads. Which is it? If keypads these show up on E-Bay for within your budget..

2) These systems were pretty rare to start with and are much sought after hence the many "Blinken Lights" projects like the PDP/8I to add switchs and lamps to existing emulators, so they tend to be expensive. Heck a PDP/11 front panel sells for more than $200 (several times more)...

3) Whilst the rarer machines might be cheaper, often there is less documentation and expereince to keep them, running, so again a working one gets expensive...

Any way best of luck...

A possible example is the CIP2200 made by Cincinnati Milacron in the 70's. This was a business computer but lots and lots went into their Big Blue machine tool controller. A phone around old established machine tool dealers might turn up something. I tried in the UK but nothing.

The CPU is random logic, microcoded and looks like a 16 bit 6800. Also has a front panel with a 256 byte initial program load. Has a current loop interface to connect to a teletype, ASR33.

Used to work on them 35 years ago.

Round here those were all lost to history a long time ago.

@roz303 Get one of these http://m.ebay.com/itm/171880646382

You can't go wrong. You even get to build it. And yeah they were meant to be sort of a toy. But, they work and you can use them.

Here you can see me putting one to good use. But I also do quite a few other things with it.

Also, if you want to build your own front panel with toggle switches, I have a panel that I made that I could sell you. You have to add your own switches and LEDs.

A possible example is the CIP2200 made by Cincinnati Milacron in the 70's. This was a business computer but lots and lots went into their Big Blue machine tool controller. A phone around old established machine tool dealers might turn up something. I tried in the UK but nothing.

The CPU is random logic, microcoded and looks like a 16 bit 6800. Also has a front panel with a 256 byte initial program load. Has a current loop interface to connect to a teletype, ASR33.

Used to work on them 35 years ago.

These types of machines are definitely something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the phone lead, by the way! I'll call up some local machining/machine tool dealers.

Back