• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Cheap serial transfer cable - DB25 $0.99 shipped (US)

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Just ran across this one. If you have two PCs with DE9 (male) serial connections and want to set up a serial transfer between them, you really can't beat the price.

Last edited:
And hopefully you'll get the correct cable because the one pictured has one male connector! :)

Additionally they list 9 pin connectors, not 25, and, once again show 25 pin connectors.

So, what are you actually going to get for $.99?

A search on the UPC gives this.

So it's a 6 ft. (ca. 2m) DE9F-DE9F serial transfer cable. I was going by the photo--silly me. Still not a bad deal for less than the price of a cuppa.

Probably considered scrap; excess inventory. I've done business with them several times before and they're good. The last things I ordered were a couple of new Kingston DDR2 1GB DIMMs for $3.99 shipped. Factory packaging, no problems. Note that they have a limit both to frequency and quantity of purchases. Mostly, they're used for promotions for TechForLess and the like.

I was gonna buy a couple, but they require a phone number. I don't give phone numbers to ebay sellers, even phony numbers, so no sale.

I simply give them the number of the state District Attorney's office. It's a real number, and I'm sure if the DA's staff needed to reach me, they'd know how.

Last edited:
A phone number? Do you mean ebay nagging you to give them your mobile number?

I don't know if it was ebay or paypal. I went to purchase using paypal, and got a "phone number required" message from ebay. So I quit. Maybe I don't have something in my ebay or paypal account, but on the checkout screen there was no place to simply put in a number, it appeared I'd have to visit my account settings.

Anyway, I didn't really need any 9pin cables, I guess in the long run I just saved 2 bucks :)

EDIT: google found this, apparently sellers can optionally require a phone number for a sale. I've been buying from ebay since back when money orders were the preferred method of payment, and have only had 4 or 5 instances of this message popping up. In those cases the seller also had to find someone else to purchase their stuff: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archiv...r/Seller-requires-Phone-Number/qaq-p/11741555

Last edited:
Back