Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

FS: XT-IDE rev 3 Boards, Kits, and Assembled Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to put together a BOM and add it to the Git repo. Everything's available through Mouser/DigiKey/et c.
    Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Is it possible to get the PCB boards in green? (i dont know which color would be standard on this normal version)

Is there an option if i buy the bare boards only (i dont know how much the shipping to the netherlands will be, but with everything included ( i mean the bare boards and the kits included)i think it will be much to high. And maybe i have to pay some tax / shipping fee`s as well) that i can purchase any kits later ( if i cant obtain them anywhere else)

Bare boards: $8 USD ( is this for a single board, or also up to three?)

How much will the shipping be for 6 bare green PCB boards? (rest of the components i can order my self, i think that this will be much cheaper.)

Do you maybe have a list of the components to buy? (do you get this from mouser electronics?)
      THE BIOS MASTER

Comment

Originally posted by Robin4 View Post
        Is it possible to get the PCB boards in green? (i dont know which color would be standard on this normal version)
        Basically, no. If you want green you're going to have to run them yourself. I will do a run in green if enough people want them in green, but basically everyone else who has expressed interest in these boards have been fine with blue. You are of course free to use the design files to run the boards in whatever color your like. FYI you have to do a run of 100 boards to get the price-per-board to a reasonable level if you want hard gold plating on the edge connector.

Is there an option if i buy the bare boards only (i dont know how much the shipping to the netherlands will be, but with everything included ( i mean the bare boards and the kits included)i think it will be much to high. And maybe i have to pay some tax / shipping fee`s as well) that i can purchase any kits later ( if i cant obtain them anywhere else)
        Sure, I guess that's fine, but I don't know that you will be saving any money by splitting the shipment up. It's usually more cost-effective to *combine* shipping.

Bare boards: $8 USD ( is this for a single board, or also up to three?)
        This is the price per board. There are no price breaks for larger quantities. I'm selling the boards and parts kits basically at cost.

How much will the shipping be for 6 bare green PCB boards? (rest of the components i can order my self, i think that this will be much cheaper.)
        No idea. I have to package orders up, weigh them, and measure the box to determine shipping. International shipping is especially variable. I can't just guess at a number for you on this. Experience shows it will be somewhere in the range of $15 - $35 USD.

Do you maybe have a list of the components to buy? (do you get this from mouser electronics?)
        The answer to this is literally the post above yours. I need to put together a Bill of Materials. I haven't yet as I'm very busy at the moment. I'm currently out of town at a conference.
        Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Which files / or information do i need to process my own boards? Because i dont have any skills of making my own pcb designs.

I thought it would be an easy route to order the bare boards from you.. But it seems it isnt.

Why did you change the color of these boards if previously you where using a nice style green color..

Can you also tell me how much stock you still have of those blue PCB boards? Because maybe you have to pre-order again, so you possible havent enough available to ship them quick.

Would it be possible if you can ask if the community wants a green version of this board. Maybe they want the blue because they know those can already be purchased. And if green is / was possible they know they have to wait much longer or still
          no availability when do would have to wait longer.
          Last edited by Robin4; July 23, 2016, 05:32 AM.
          THE BIOS MASTER

Comment

Why did you change the color of these boards if previously you where using a nice style green color..
            Just out of curiosity... what makes green so important to you? Does the color have some affect on performance or something else I'm not but should be aware of? AFAIK, once you install the board in a computer you can't see it anyway so the color of the board's surface seems to be totally irrelevant.
            PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Which files / or information do i need to process my own boards? Because i dont have any skills of making my own pcb designs.
              They're all up on the GitHub project I posted in the build thread. The files you will need to submit will depend on the fab you decide to use. If you have never had boards manufactured before, I don't recommend starting with a project that has a non-square shape and special requirements like gold plating.

I thought it would be an easy route to order the bare boards from you.. But it seems it isnt.
              Sorry you feel that way. About 45 other peope have successfully orders about 75 boards from me.

I have never run these boards in green. You're getting me confused with someone else. I chose blue for the same reason I use it on most of my other projects: to me, it provides the best trace contrast. It goes inside a computer case anyway, so I'm not sure why color should matter.

Can you also tell me how much stock you still have of those blue PCB boards? Because maybe you have to pre-order again, so you possible havent enough available to ship them quick.
              There's about 25 bare boards left. I'm not sure why you'd think I don't have enough to ship them quickly -- aside from two issues with overseas shipping, everyone's gotten their boards very quickly. I've tried to ship within three days of receiving payment, usually I ship same day or next day.

Would it be possible if you can ask if the community wants a green version of this board. Maybe they want the blue because they know those can already be purchased. And if green is / was possible they know they have to wait much longer or still
              no availability when do would have to wait longer.
              I asked in the build thread. Changing the color means paying re-tooling costs when I order more boards.

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post
                It goes inside a computer case anyway, so I'm not sure why color should matter.
                Since Robin4 has not yet replied to my question (of him) as to whether the board's color has any relevance whatsoever regarding the board's performance or any other factor that matters I'm going to take your statement to mean that the answer here is a resounding NO!
                PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
                  Since Robin4 has not yet replied to my question (of him) as to whether the board's color has any relevance whatsoever regarding the board's performance or any other factor that matters I'm going to take your statement to mean that the answer here is a resounding NO!
                  Heh, of course not :P The only "performance" enhancement is that there *is* a solder mask layer, which of course reduces solder bridging as compared to bare FR4 with no solder mask.

As mentioned, I personally find that the cyan blue solder mask provides the best contrast for copper traces against the FR4.

Comment

Sorry but iam not always on this forum. I prefer the green, because its more the original look. I know it cant come close like the old days when technology wasnt that advanced on producing pcb`s.. But green will me more close like those older boards.

They're all up on the GitHub project I posted in the build thread. The files you will need to submit will depend on the fab you decide to use. If you have never had boards manufactured before, I don't recommend starting with a project that has a non-square shape and special requirements like gold plating.
                    There is a company in my neighborhood where i can inform what is possible or not.. 2 days ago i send them an e-mail, but have to wait for their response and the outcome.
                    So no iam not going to make these boards my self, perhaps some company in my country can produce them..
                    If the company i wrote cant produce them, then i will look around further.
                    Last edited by Robin4; July 24, 2016, 05:30 PM.
                    THE BIOS MASTER

Comment

Whats the price for shipping 3, 5, 6, or 10 boards? (only the shipping costs)
                      THE BIOS MASTER

Comment

Whats the price for shipping 3, 5, 6, or 10 boards? (only the shipping costs)
                        No idea. I have to package orders up, weigh them, and measure the box to determine shipping. International shipping is especially variable. I can't just guess at a number for you on this. Experience shows it will be somewhere in the range of $15 - $35 USD.
                        I still have no way of determining the shipping without packing boards up for overseas orders.

Comment

I still have no way of determining the shipping without packing boards up for overseas orders.
                          Just for example:

1) A small flat rate box is $33.95.

2) A medium flat rate box is $66.90.

A small box would hold at least 5 or 6 and maybe more and a medium box would accommodate 50+.

I'm quite sure you could send 8-10 of them via First Class Mail for ~ $25.00.

Comment

I'm quite sure you could send 8-10 of them via First Class Mail for ~ $25.00.
                            Yeah, most people have wanted a non-Flat Rate price. Obviously the convenience with Flat Rate is that it gets there sorta quick and you know exactly how much it'll cost. The packets I've sent out via First Class International fell in the range I stated above, so $25 is probably a reasonable guess. I'm just unwilling to make guesses and have people get angry when it's different.

Comment

~$25 is for a one pound First Class parcel.

Comment

I prefer the green, because its more the original look.
                                I prefer non-green for my homebrew boards, to intentionally make them stand out as "not original/authentic/stock".

Later CGA cards are brown instead of green, which throws me off
                                Offering a bounty for:
                                - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
                                - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Working...
                                X