• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

New Apple-1 Mimeo boards available

Corey986

Administrator
Well I received the run of Mimeo boards. I also have Cassette Boards and now have compatible Proms available.

You can check them out on my website, look under the "Mimeo Reproduction” menu item

http://myapplecomputer.net/mimeo-reproduction.html

If you wish to place an order let me know.

Cheers,
Corey
MimeoAndACI_Front_C.jpg

MimeoAndACI_Back_C.jpg

Looks really nice!

Where are you getting the PROMs? I had a devil of a time sourcing PROMs for my mimeo, and I recall a similar hassle when I repaired an Asteroids Deluxe almost 15 years ago. They can't be getting easier to find. Actually it's not hard to find electrically compatible PROMS, but most of them don't have a programming algorithm on modern (or even older) programmers, and the protocols are proprietary. The NS and compatible versions, which had a published algorithm and are widely supported, are particularly hard to find.

Actually the hardest issue with PROMs was getting g blank ones. A few lots were not blank that said they were. You have to pay a premium to get guaranteed blank ones. Compatible programmers like the Data IO 29B aren't cheap which is why I knew I needed to offer the PROMs and not just PCBs.

Cheers,
Corey

Last edited:
Apple 1 compatible PROMs are definately getting a bit harder to find. I bought a Data I/O 29B with the correct programming pack some years ago for something like $125. That solved the programming issue. Having it on hand, came in handy for some other vintage parts, as well. I'm not sure how much a working 29B costs these days, but I consider it an essential tool for a vintage computer buff.

regards,
Mike Willegal

I think I bought my Data IO a little over 2 years ago for an Apple-1 restoration. The Apple-1 didn't have the original PROMs and it booted to monitor with a spare set so I wanted to know what was on the PROMs. I also figured in the future I'd want to be able to create my own. I know I paid a lot more than $125 for mine. Until the taking over the Mimeos from Mike, I've maybe used it 10 times. I have a small modern programmer which handles everything from a 2708 and up. Now if you asked me about my 1702A programmer that one has had a lot
of use.

Cheers,
Corey

I had similar problems in the past. A long time ago, when I was repairing the Asteroids Deluxe, I was surprised to find 82S129 PROMs on the rack at Fry's. Too good to be true, they were not blank.

Although not many modern programmers can program the 6301, there are pin-compatible and read-compatible parts (DM74S287, AM27S11, 82S129) than can be programmed by modern programmers. Those PROMs are actually easier to get than the 6301, but still very hard to find functioning and blank.

Do you have actual 6301 PROMs?

At any rate, if anyone has a lead on a reliable supplier of these PROMs, I'd be interested to see you post it here.

The supply of true 6301 PROMs that are still blank seems to have dried up a few years back.

regards,
Mike Willegal

Everytime I get a set of MMI branded PROMs these days they aren't blank. I have to send them back or sometimes I have to eat the cost so I've given up. I have a few other brand ceramic compatible PROMs which are good for re-logo'ing and when those run out I have plastic compatible ones. I will always be on the lookout for a good ceramic chip supplier, but I also need to make sure the chips are blank and compatible with the Data IO. Those comparibly inexpensive Tesla chips from Bulgaria won't work.

Cheers,
Corey

Corey, can you PM me a price for a set of PROM's that have been re-logoed please, I have Mikes ones with Stickers and I would prefer the right look :)

Clint brings up a good question and so let me be clear before I get a ton of emails.

I don't plan on providing or selling re-logo'd PROMs. Other people have written up on Applefritter how to use white silk screen PCB transfer stuff to recreate the logo. I haven't tried that yet. I understand it doesn't survive cleaning with alcohol. I have done re-logo'd proms in the past using a home built press, stamper and epoxy paint which survives everything including paint thinner. It is a giant pain in the butt to setup the press and if everything is not perfect (about 1/2 the time) you have to wet sand the epoxy off like the original paint required and start again.

I guess when things calm down after the winter, I feel like a taxi driver to my kids who seem to have activities every day of the week in December and January, I'll try the PCB transfer technique and if it works out I may offer it. I don't expect to offer the epoxy paint ones since they can take up to a day to make a good set of 4 PROMs. I can describe the process in detail in another thread if anyone is interested in trying that. I practiced on junk ceramic chips first before I did the real thing.

Cheers,
Corey

Back