• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

sdisk II boards/kits for sale (Apple Disk II emulator)

rittwage

Veteran Member
At some point last year, I decided to build one of these.
http://tulip-house.ddo.jp/DIGITAL/SDISK2/english.html

It works well! It does not have the niceties of some of the other projects, where you can see the disk image on an LCD or switch them up and down with a button. These things could be added to the firmware, as the software is very simple, and the hard part (emulating the drive) is already done!

I ended up having 10 boards made, since that is the minimum.
I thought I had the rest of the parts covered, except the SD-card slot is unusual- it's mirrored, so that is the most expensive part (not bad). Now, I have plenty of parts left over and thought maybe some other fellow tinkerers would like to make one.

I have 9 bare boards left- $5.00 each.
Shipping only costs a stamp to the USA, and probably a couple bucks overseas.

I have enough of all the other parts for 2 complete kits. (*out of stock, you can still buy kit without SD slot for $21.50 and get slot from Digi-Key)
These would be $25 each and I can pre-program the Atmel microcontroller for you if you need it.
Shipping is $2.80 in the USA and probably a couple bucks more overseas.

I built and tested 2 of them, so I am offering one of them completely built and tested for $50.
Shipping is $2.80 in the USA and probably a couple bucks more overseas.

Once they are gone, they are gone forever.
Let me know if you want one or have any questions.

Photos here:
http://diskpreservation.com/files/sdisk2

Last edited:
I was wondering is it would be difficult to build the FDC card functions into a unit like this, on a appropriately shaped card, and plug the whole thing into the slot with the SD card sticking out the slot for the cable to a regular Disk II system.

There are projects like that.

This can be installed internally very easily, but it still relies on the Apple disk interface card, which makes it very compatible. Fortunately, those cards are cheap and plentiful. :)

I am currently out of full kits, as I ran out of the SD card slots.

If there is demand, I can buy some more, or you can buy a kit without it ($21.50 instead) and get one from Digi-Key.

I still have bare boards.

There are projects like that.

This can be installed internally very easily, but it still relies on the Apple disk interface card, which makes it very compatible. Fortunately, those cards are cheap and plentiful. :)

For myself, I was just thinking that a one piece unit would be handy to have for testing the various Apple II stuff I have around and get in.

I am currently working on a Apple II+ computer, an Apple II+ motherboard, an Apple IIe motherboard and an Apple IIe clone motherboard (the one with the STK IOU and MMU. Try finding those chips now).

I suppose it wouldn't be too much more difficult to pull the Disk II interface out and move it between boards the way you are building it.

It would just be nice to have the card in the processor with the ability to increase the stepping rate to get rid of that damn noise the floppy drives make LOL.

It would be a nice option.

This doesn't make any noise, which has it's own problems. I thought about adding a little transistor amp and PC-case speaker to the stepper line to make some clicking noises. It would be an easy hack- some of the Gotek mods do this...

You could easily solder the IDC connector directly to the board if you used a different type of connector. It may not clear the top of the case, then, though, so the board may need redesigned.

Thanks.

BTW, it's in my build notes, but to let everyone know that bought boards:

The SD card slot is unusual- you won't find them on eBay (or at least I couldn't).
The Digi-Key part number is HR846CT-ND

There isn't a full one, only the few items on the original page. There are so few components you can make it out from the schematic :)

BOM:
HiRose DM1B-DSF-PEJ (mirrored SD slot - Digikey part number #HR846CT-ND)
5 resistors; 2x100k, 2x10k, 1x330
3 caps; 2x220uF electrolytic, 1x1uf ceramic (can be 0.1uf to 1uf, just noise cap)
27MHz crystal
3.3v power regulator (L78L33ACZ is what I used)
LED (choose your color, it's activity light like on Disk II, so will not shine until accessed)
74HC125 DIP
Atmel ATMEGA328P (and I would use a socket for it, dual wipe)

Also, some flat ribbon wire and a 2x10 connector.

Last edited:
There isn't a full one, only the few items on the original page. There are so few components you can make it out from the schematic :)

All that is needed is 5 resistors, 3 caps, a 27MHz crystal, a power regulator (L78L33ACZ is what I used), an LED, a 74HC125 and the Atmel.
Also, some wire and a 2x10 connector.

That seems simple enough, I'm sure even someone as ancient as I can remember that. What were we talking about again? :)

I'll take a look at the schematic and make my own when I'm ready to build.

Hi guys,

I ran out of these boards. If there is more interest, I would consider doing a second run of kits. Let me know and I'll be happy to take preorders and get all the parts again.

BTW, here is the link for the more advanced firmware for the board. These mods add a display, controls to change the disk images on the fly, and support for SDHC cards.

https://github.com/suaide/SDisk2/tree/master/firmware

Hi guys,

I ran out of these boards. If there is more interest, I would consider doing a second run of kits. Let me know and I'll be happy to take preorders and get all the parts again.

BTW, here is the link for the more advanced firmware for the board. These mods add a display, controls to change the disk images on the fly, and support for SDHC cards.

https://github.com/suaide/SDisk2/tree/master/firmware

If you do another run, order an extra set of parts for the one I bought, Pete.

Left to myself, I'll never get around to ordering them and the board will sit there until after I'm dead, still unpopulated.

Thanks.

Back