• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: Sun SPARCstation IPX Named Bilbo with New NVRAM, No Hard Drive

glitch

Veteran Member
According to the front, this one's name is Bilbo:

The asset tag shows that Bilbo was owned by Lucent/AT&T/Bell Labs in 1997! This one is in OK shape, though it was clearly someone's parts donor machine: no hard disk, the hard disk power connector had been cut off, no slot blanks, and no RAM. I've added 16 MB of RAM in a single 72-pin SIMM, as well as a new NVRAM, and booted the machine from an external drive. Works fine, boots SunOS 4.1.4 from CD and OpenBSD 5.9 from an external SCSI disk. Asking $100 + shipping. Shipping in the US will be $25-30. Overseas shipping is no problem, but I'd recommend using a freight forwarder if you can.

Since this one *is* named Bilbo, after all, I can include a Gandalf Networks AUI to 10baseT Ethernet adapter, if desired. Any MAU will work of course, but it seems fitting :)

As you can see, the slot blanks are missing, even though there are no SBus cards installed.

Logic board is nice and clean, Fujitsu 40 MHz SPARC CPU, LSI metal can type cache controller. SCSI hard disk cable included, even though the drive is missing.

Installed one of my GW-48T02-1 NVRAM replacements and reprogrammed the NVRAM, so you won't have to deal with no Ethernet address/no Host ID, and it can be set to boot from hard disk on power-up. Uses a standard CR1225, so when it dies you just pop it out and put a new battery in.

Someone stole the hard disk connector. I spliced in a right-angle adapter from a pigtail. Joints were soldered with Kester 63/37 "44 Core" and then heat shrinked.

Powers up with no NVRAM or clock errors!

And boots SunOS 4.1.4 installer off of an external CD-ROM just fine!

Do note that, while Solaris 7 is the newest supported Sun operating system that'll run on sun4c, you probably don't really want to run that on this machine. Even Solaris 5 is quite slow! SunOS 4.1.4 is very usable, as is OpenBSD 5.9. NetBSD -CURRENT still supports sun4c, but I've never tried to run it.

Back