• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Maxtor LXT340A IDE Hard Disk Drive Vintage - powers on

dafivehole

Veteran Member
This drive has been in storage for many years. I tried connecting it to a USB drive enclosure and it powers right up and you can hear it spinning... the computer says that it's ready to use but it will not show up in My Computer as a usable drive so I'm not sure what's going on. That is the extent to which I can test it. Looking for $10 plus shipping from 80138.

Thank you,
Roger

View attachment 40541View attachment 40542View attachment 40543

I'm not exactly sure where those IDE enclosures begin to recognize drives; whether it's ATA2, ATA3 or ATA4 but I am pretty sure that AT is not useable in the enclosure.

Yes and no.

I've got dozens of IDE drives that power on and spin -- but they're still useless. :)

I think their embedded servo tracks are hosed rendering them unsalvageable.

A (factory) LLF might be able to return them to service but that's about it.

They do have very nice neodymium magnets in them, though.

OK, here's the skinny:

•ATA: Known also as IDE, supports one or two hard drives, a 16-bit interface and PIO modes 0, 1 and 2. The enclosure will not support this type of IDE unless the enclosure is an antique model.

•ATA-2: Supports faster PIO modes (3 and 4) and multiword DMA modes (1 and 2). Also supports logical block addressing (LBA) and block transfers. ATA-2 is marketed as Fast ATA and Enhanced IDE (EIDE). Contemporary enclosures support this (ATA-2) and later drives.

Interesting... thank you for the info. I guess the bad part is that I can't fully test this hard drive in order to confirm it's fully functional and sell it :(

Roger

You can if you plug it into a machine's IDE port directly.

I have a pair of mobile drive racks in my tweener so I can swap drives in an instant. :smile:

Back