• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Floppy Tape Drives

kb2syd

Veteran Member
I have 4 or 5 of various makes. Anyone have a use for them? Pay postage for shipping from NJ.

Kelly

Those were great until I got into the 800MB to 1600MB land. Real pain at that point.

Hey, even the 250Mb ones were too much for me, I switched to DAT at that point (4Gb). I mean, >2 hours to back-up a 4Gb drive , and 4 tape swaps, was beyond the limits of my patience...

--T

Last edited:
I was talking about the hard drive sizes. Yep, it was those 250MB Mountain tape jobbers. I too got where I couldn't stand how long it took, plus you would get tape write errors and have to start over!

My first tape backup was a Colorado 120MB QIC drive (still have it and it works), this was used on a 386 DX/40 in the early 1990's where the HD was probably the same size as the tape.

After that I upgraded to a Iomega Ditto 3.2GB (compressed) with a ISA controller card (2x the speed of the floppy port). This drive was slow and the tapes would get warm if you tried to backup large amounts of data (rarely used it). Still have it just so I can retrieve data from my old tapes.

Around the later 1990's I purchased a $1100 HP 4020i cdr and use that for backups eventualy going back to tape (4/8GB DDS before the 90's were over).

Currently I have 1x DDS1, 2x DDS2, 1x DDS3 and 1X DDS4 drives for my machines (Mac and PC). I also have 2x 1.3GB MO rewritable drives used mostly to archive files for my 68K Macs.

Oh ya, that's it. Colorado, not Mountain. I had their floppy controller units and their parallel interface ones. They seemed to go downhill fast after HP bought them out. My LAST HP tape drive is used as a "hole filler" for my full sized tower, not even plugged in internally.

Back