• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IMSAI 8080 System For Sale

jcwren

I've decided it's time to part with my IMSAI 8080 system. It's been sitting in the basement for a long time, and I've kept promising it that I would bring it back up and relive the golden days of computing. Unfortunately, Real Life(tm) has a way of interfering, and I've got more pressing projects than I can handle. Here's what's I have:

• IMSAI 8080 22-slot chassis
  • Northstar 8MHz Z80-H CPU
  • 64K static memory card
  • Tarbell DSDD floppy controller
  • 256K DRAM card (as a virtual disk)
  • 4-port serial card
  • IMSAI GPIO card
  • S-100 extender card
  • (2) Qume Datatrak-8 8" floppy drives in a chassis w/ PSU
  • (1) Qume Datatrak-8 8" spare (possibly more)
  • Spare toggle switch covers
  • Several hundred diskettes, much software (assuming diskettes are still readable).
  • Tons of documentation

The system hasn't been powered up in *ages*, and I'm a little concerned about not doing that properly. Last thing I want to do is dump 8V into the 5V rail and watch everything go up in smoke, or watch a couple of 22,000uf caps grenade. The front panel can't single step or examine memory at 8MHz. If I remember correctly, dropping the CPU speed via the switch on the CPU card will put the clock into a range where the front panel works correctly. You can, of course, stop/reset/run the CPU at 8MHz.

The front panel is *perfect*. I think there's a minor scratch on the cover. It does still have the suicide power switch. Anyone who's been around IMSAIs know they should be reworked to put the power switch on the back, and optionally use the front panel power switch to drive a relay.

I'm pretty sure the floppies need the belts replaced.

I haven't done a lot of research so I don't know what they're going for these days. I'm looking to get a fair price, and while I'd love to get $2500 for everything, I'm not sure that's realistic. I know that shipping costs would be insane, so I'm willing to drive 200 miles from Flowery Branch, GA to meet.

I have some sentimental attachment to this system, as I spent thousands of hours in front of it. I built the motherboard myself, soldering all 2200+ connections. It wasn't my first computer, but it was my most prized computer. I can't remember if I paid $900/ea or $900 for the pair for the Datatrak 8 drives, but it was a major chunk of change at the time. The GPIO card was for a Diablo Hytype I daisy wheel printer. I wrote the first set of drives in assembly, where each of the motions was sequential. I rewrote it in Aztec C so that the platen, print head, and wheel motions overlapped, and sped up printing dramatically. I wrote a rather complicated utility for managing Televideo 950 terminals, and a bunch of other utilities for Hayes Chronographs, some checkbook software before Quicken existed, lots of stuff. So yeah, a bit sentimental :)

If there's interest expressed, I'll take a bunch of pictures and post them. Pulling everything out to take them is a little painful :(

Hey jcwren,

I am a vintage computer collector and I am looking for a nice IMSAI to add to my collection. I live in North Florida, so it is a possibility, that we could meet up, if we can get the system into
a fair price range. I do not have any experience with the IMSAI, so if you could take a day or two off or on the weekend, you could stay here with me. That way we could go over the ins and
out of this system.

I think you scared everyone away with that over the top estimate. The way I see it, the Altair is the top name computer to have and the IMSAI is second along with the SOL-20 would be my next choice.

You can take a look at a few of the items that I have collected in the video at the bottom of my website. I think you will enjoy it. I also collect vintage game systems, as I figured out early,
that most people, especially your people, do not care about the old computers. So, I wanted something that everyone could enjoy.
www.theageofgaming.com

I'm interested in your IMSAI 8080. If it is still around and for sale please call [removed by mod] .... or if anyone else sees this and has one for sale please call.

I'm interested in your IMSAI 8080. If it is still around and for sale please call [removed by mod] .... or if anyone else sees this and has one for sale please call.

Please don't post phone numbers in the open forum. If you are interested in the thing, then send a PM (but don't announce that you have done so).

I have a IMSAI 8080 for sale. original 8080 with 32 k mem 8k rom and programmer(eraser seperate) sp+3 io, CUTS tape i/o , vdm-1+ 9 inch monitor vintage, vintage keyboard.

Working and running, library of tapes, Original paper tape for monitor.

For a system like that, $2500 is not an unreasonable price. It's a very nice setup, top-of-the-line for an unbanked Z80 system!

You're right to be worried about just flipping the switch and powering it up. Especially with a North Star card in there -- I've had significantly higher tantalum cap failure rates on North Star boards, even though they're otherwise very high quality boards.

Most of the replies to this listing are a god-awful mess. Perhaps folks can take a moment to compose themselves before deciding whether a reply is appropriate, and if so, spend a few more moments composing an appropriate reply.

It is never appropriate to post a reply about something you have for sale to a for sale posting. FFS.

I'll second that $2,500 is an entirely reasonable price for this system, if not a bargain to some extent.

Sellam

Why are people throwing out prices, to items they do not have for sale? An IMSAI is not worth as much as anyone here is saying.

I just picked up a fully working Altair 8800a, with a full complement of working Processor Technology Boards, and a dual 5 1/4 drive unit, all in excelent condition and I only paid $1900
So, please do not throw out prices, that are not yours to throw out in the first place. Unless you are making an offer for this item or any other item, then that is your right to spend as much
as you would like... but I would not start off making an offer for an item that is over the value of this item to start with.

Here is something I hate to admit to, but I recently almost had an IMSAI in my hands for $350, but the seller ended up selling it to someone else for $400. I could kick myself every time I think about it.
Oh well, it has taught me a lesson, to be patient. There is a good deal just around the corner. I have picked up two original Apple II computers for around $300 each, after I bought my first one, for $2100.
I sold the other two, so that made up for the one I spent too much money on. Plus I kept the best parts for myself.

Anyway, nice chatting with you all, Keep it real !!!

Attachments

• 2018-09-11_20-09-21.jpg
    2018-09-11_20-09-21.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2018-09-11_20-09-35.jpg
    2018-09-11_20-09-35.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 2018-09-11_20-09-44.jpg
    2018-09-11_20-09-44.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1
Congratulations on your experiences. I once loaded the entire trunk and the backseat of my Honda Civic with an IMSAI 8080, (2) Vector Graphics 1, (2) PerSci dual 8" floppy drives (voicecoil) in mahogany enclosures, a dumb terminal, and some other miscellany, for $50. By my experience, you way overpaid.

I can't even remember how many times I've hashed through this pointless discussion on the CC mailing list (that eventually erupted into major arguments). Bottom line: it's worth what the seller is willing to take and what the buyer is willing to pay (offer/acceptance) on any given sale, whether than's 1 penny or 50 gajillion 1ozt gold coins.

But as someone who sells quite a bit, and who has been a collector and curator of fine vintage computers for about 30 years now, my assessment is not one that was drawn directly from a personal rectal cavity.

Your input is acknowledged, thank you, but at the same time as you want to practice the privilege to proffer your own opinions about price, others want to retain their right to reckon and recite their appraisal as well.

Congratulations on your experiences. I once loaded the entire trunk and the backseat of my Honda Civic with an IMSAI 8080, (2) Vector Graphics 1, (2) PerSci dual 8" floppy drives (voicecoil) in mahogany enclosures, a dumb terminal, and some other miscellany, for $50. By my experience, you way overpaid.

I can't even remember how many times I've hashed through this pointless discussion on the CC mailing list (that eventually erupted into major arguments). Bottom line: it's worth what the seller is willing to take and what the buyer is willing to pay (offer/acceptance) on any given sale, whether than's 1 penny or 50 gajillion 1ozt gold coins.

But as someone who sells quite a bit, and who has been a collector and curator of fine vintage computers for about 30 years now, my assessment is not one that was drawn directly from a personal rectal cavity.

Your input is acknowledged, thank you, but at the same time as you want to practice the privilege to proffer your own opinions about price, others want to retain their right to reckon and recite their appraisal as well.

I have also loaded up a van full of NStar equitment , a KIM-1 and a bunch of other things, and I did not have to pay anything for it. I did however have to fly down to Miami and rent the van, and then drive over 300 miles to get back home, but it was worth it.

But I can't imagine why any of your polite conversations would break out into a major argument??? Perhaps it is the vulgar way you speak to people.. It is completelely unnecessary.
As I agree with you, with one minor addendum. I believe that it is the seller who sets the price, not the buyer. The buyer can either agree to that price or look for a better price somewhere else.
I usually do not haggle with a seller, as I respect their right to set the price that they would like to get for the item, that they are selling.
Anyway, please work on your people skills, I am sure you will find out, that you'll have a lot fewer arguments, that way.

Good Luck with That !!!

<...snip...>

I can't imagine why any of your polite conversations would break out into a major argument??? Perhaps it is the vulgar way you speak to people.. It is completelely unnecessary.

<...snip...>

I couldn't agree more. Your conversation is far too aggressive and arrogant.

smp

I couldn't agree more. Your conversation is far too aggressive and arrogant.

smp

Do you think my pointing out someone else's unnecessary vulgarity on this site, is being too aggressive?
Have you read his posts???
I was only pointing out that our friend Sellam might have less arguments if he used better language, when speaking to people on this site.
I really don't think anyone here, wants to know what he is, or is not pulling out of his rectum.
I am sorry, that just sounds too discussting to me, and again completly unnecessary, in my opinion.

Do you think my pointing out someone else's unnecessary vulgarity on this site, is being too aggressive?
Have you read his posts???
I was only pointing out that our friend Sellam might have less arguments if he used better language, when speaking to people on this site.
I really don't think anyone here, wants to know what he is, or is not pulling out of his rectum.
I am sorry, that just sounds too discussting to me, and again completly unnecessary, in my opinion.

I'm *very* sorry - I was not aiming at you, I was agreeing with you. I think that Sellam is being far too aggressive, and quite arrogant.

amp

Back to the point of the original post:

Agree with Glitch and Sellam that the asking price for a loaded IMSAI including disk subsystem with single owner, documented provenance is pretty much in the right ballpark. "No way to test vintage electronics powers on" sales on e**y are consistently in the 1200-1800 range for the cpu only. Add a few S-100 cards ($50-100), drives, docs...

Sounds like a lovely system. I'd be interested in seeing it and talking to the original poster about those hours they logged on it. (Contribute another thread to the forum! Document the experiences with those early microsystems and their users!)

I think we can all agree that e**y prices are way over inflated, most of the time. But on the other hand, anything can happen on e**y when bidding for any item.
It depending on who is online and willing to raise the prices up to and or above $2500.

The last IMSAI that just sold on ebay which included at least 12 S100 boards, went for $1273.00. Granted I have also seen the IMSAI go for a lot more then this from time to time.
In my opinion, for $2500 it system should be fully loaded , working and in near mint condition, and possibly come with a drive system, to BOOT !!! LOL !!!

Attachments

• IMSAI.jpg
    IMSAI.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1
I'll add to the cacophony that $2500 for such a machine seems an entirely reasonable asking price. Whether it sells for that is up to the seller and buyer, but certainly not an unheard of price for this.

So the majority seems to agree the price is reasonable, while the minority seems to agree my language is aggressive, arrogant, and vulgar. So be it.

:cool:

Hi jcwren: I read your for sale post with a tear in my eye;) as I walk the same path with my old 8080. I'm moving to new digs and doing major downsizing and the toys of my youth must go, sigh. I so like your post and seek your permission to plagiarize parts of your post in my IMSAI for sale ad. I too had hand wired stuff like I/O and real time clocks etc. and if I had a penny for all the hours put in wire wrapping and coding in assembler I'd be a rich man. Hope you found a good home for prize of your past. Let me know if okay to use some your prose in my ad, best of luck, thanks.

Hi jcwren: I read your for sale post with a tear in my eye;) as I walk the same path with my old 8080. I'm moving to new digs and doing major downsizing and the toys of my youth must go, sigh. I so like your post and seek your permission to plagiarize parts of your post in my IMSAI for sale ad. I too had hand wired stuff like I/O and real time clocks etc. and if I had a penny for all the hours put in wire wrapping and coding in assembler I'd be a rich man. Hope you found a good home for prize of your past. Let me know if okay to use some your prose in my ad, best of luck, thanks.

I would love to add a working IMSAI to my collection. I have a beautiful Altair 8800a and a SOL-20, which I absolutely love. You can see most of my systems, on my YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbBQsLXk9W7oM7Pz5lZgHOg

I am currently working with the St. Augustine Historical Society, to setup a small museum of vintage computers and Video game systems. Although I love all my vintage computers, I found out, really
quick, that kids under 40 do not care for machines that were created before they were ever born. So, I have collected a lot of vintage video game systems, so that everyone will be able to see something
here, that they remember growing up with.

However, I will not feel like I have a complete selection of vintage computers, without an IMSAI to share.

Please let me know, what the working status is of your system, and what boards you have installed, and or any peripherals and or documentation or software, you may have. And I always enjoy hearing the history of the system. Please share as many pics as you can.

Back