• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5150 Computer, Keyboard & Extras

Jeff2016

Experienced Member
Hi,

I am listing for sale the IBM 5150 PC I bought as my first computer in 1983.

The computer computer is being sold with keyboard, CGA card, dual 5-1/4" floppies, Quadram Quadmaster III expansion card, DOS 1.1, DOS 3.1, and the other IBM manuals/documents. (There's also a training course on 5-1/4 floppies that I'll include.) The original packaging for the computer and keyboard will be included. (And if someone is interested, I'll throw in the original sales receipt.)

The computer boots up without issue.

Here are some pics:

IMG_5742 1024x768.jpgIMG_5743 1024x768.jpgIMG_5744 1024x768.jpgIMG_5745 1024x768.jpgIMG_5746 1024x768.jpgIMG_5747 1024x768.jpgIMG_5748 1024x768.jpgIMG_5749 1024x768.jpgIMG_5750 1024x768.jpg20181010_164541_resized.jpg

It's really in very good shape. I took pretty good care of it when it was in use. It's been stored inside the house in the original packaging since I stopped using it.

I'm asking $300 plus shipping. (I'm located in Indianapolis should someone prefer local pickup.)

I can provide more details if anyone is interested. (I'm thinking that it's probably overkill to describe everything; but, I want to provide as much information as possible to anyone who is interested.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Samir,

Very nice system. Rare to see them in this original condition.

Thanks for the compliment. It was well taken care of when I used it, and it has been stored in the original box in dry environments since.

(It's still available to anyone interested.)

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Samir,

But is the the vga cable adapter included so that one can use any monitor that takes a vga input?

The adapter is included. It is a CGA card which also has RCA outlet jacks. The card does work in spite of not having the original monitor.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Samir,

The adapter is included. It is a CGA card which also has RCA outlet jacks. The card does work in spite of not having the original monitor.

Thanks,

Jeff
Good to know for any prospective buyers. :) So it will work on any modern TV or monitor with VGA. :cool:

Hi Samir,

Thanks,

Jeff

Good to know for any prospective buyers. :) So it will work on any modern TV or monitor with VGA. :cool:

Won't work with regular VGA. Would need a multisync monitor, or CGA or EGA monitor.
Or a converter like Retrocanada's MCE2VGA converter to connect VGA.

Last edited:
How rare are 8 bit VGA cards? I have only ever come across one, which resides in my 5160. I see a lot of hub-bub about cga/mda video conversion now a days, I guess I take it for granted I have a vga card in 8 bit isa

the old tridents, like the 8900b, 8900cs and 8900c will work in 8-bit mode with a jumper settings. Also the old OAK VGA cards will do the same. I have an oak technologies VGA card in my XT and it works in 8 bit mode.

Be careful with the tridents, I have not had any luck with mine, TVGA 9000-i2 I believe? Another one, 8900CL? Not entirely sure but just be VERY sure that is the rabbit hole you want to go down. VGA on a PC or XT is a pain in the ass. I finally got mine to display with a Video 7 VRAM VGA.

Back