• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Noted at Mendelson's Dayton--keyboards

Chuck(G)

25k Member
UCS ANSI Keyboard
IBM Chinese Keyboard

I thought these were interesting, but otherwise don't know a thing about them. If you're in Dayton, you can probably browse the store in person.
UCS = Universal Computer Systems. Given the key layout, I suspect that this is a PS/2 interface keyboard with pretty keys.

They've got a bunch of other stuff, but don't use their categories; use the site search.

Last edited:
I live about 15 minutes north. Gonna have to swing by again here before too long. Might have to pick up one of those Pingmasters with the Japanese layouts.

The UCS boards Generally have Cherry MX Black keys. Might be worth a shout. They Are Not however, PS/2. They are what seems to be standard for that time frame, RJ11 type connector. I'm sure someone out there has made a converter at some point. The Mechanical Keyboard scene is fairly large, someone out there surely knows how to convert it.

The UCS boards Generally have Cherry MX Black keys. Might be worth a shout. They Are Not however, PS/2. They are what seems to be standard for that time frame, RJ11 type connector. I'm sure someone out there has made a converter at some point. The Mechanical Keyboard scene is fairly large, someone out there surely knows how to convert it.
This keyboard looks very much like it is intended to replace an LK201 keyboard on a VT220, VT340, VT420, etc.

I wasn't sure what they were for--the RJ11 did shout a real terminal, but the layout looked PC. Good to know.

Many terminals had ANSI layout as an option.
It is pretty unlikely the protocol is compatible with DEC.
The only way to tell is to look at the protocol on the wire.
I've also seen 4, 6 and 8 pin RJs used on kbds.

Digging a bit, Terminals-WIKI has a page on UCS that shows the keyboards and terminals. From the R&R website linked to, it seems that UCS was a vertical market outfit, supplying auto dealerships with gear and software.

I doubt that this terminal was anything other than a rebadged commodity item. Anyone recognize it?

Last edited:
I see they also have an environmental enclosure for the IBM PS/2 model 30. I'd be all over that if I had a PS/2.

https://meci.com/ibm-environmental-enclosure-model-7495-ee2.html
Agh! Why did I see this?

But a really great find. It will also work for the 30-286 like we have. The inside of it really shows how well thought out it was with the filter panel for the side and the cutouts for all the rear connectors. Not too bad for under $40 shipped...quite tempting...

And how did I forget? We have a Model 30 too. :cool:

Back