• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

XT/AT CLICKY mechanical keyboards

Jeck

Experienced Member
Hi,
I want to sell Crystal Data KB-6251EA and Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162 with English-Russian layout. This is a clickable mechanical keyboards with a switch AT/XT. The keyboards are working, all the buttons are checked and working, without jamming and other problems.
Let me know if you are interested.

Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162:

Crystal Data KB-6251EA:

I can put on sale on ebay, where I have a positive rating.

If I didn't have a bunch of Model M keyboards, I'd probably go with the Chicony--has a good, positive "click' when keys are depressed. Probably an Alps clone.

Are such clickety keyboards desirable? I used to have one of these. It was from the late 80's and made such a ruckus when typed on. I trashed it more than 20 years ago and have never had regrets. Are they valuable now?

Are such clickety keyboards desirable? I used to have one of these. It was from the late 80's and made such a ruckus when typed on. I trashed it more than 20 years ago and have never had regrets. Are they valuable now?

Depending on the type of key switches it uses, yes, it can be quite valuable. There are mechanical keyboard fetishists on sites like https://deskthority.net and https://geekhack.org that will pay top dollar for some vintage keyboards, especially IBM beam spring and capacitive buckling spring (Model F series) keyboards. Some even buy old IBM terminals just to poach the keyboard from it, and then try to sell the useless, keyboardless terminal on eBay or Craigslist afterwards.

Depending on the type of key switches it uses, yes, it can be quite valuable. There are mechanical keyboard fetishists on sites like https://deskthority.net and https://geekhack.org that will pay top dollar for some vintage keyboards, especially IBM beam spring and capacitive buckling spring (Model F series) keyboards. Some even buy old IBM terminals just to poach the keyboard from it, and then try to sell the useless, keyboardless terminal on eBay or Craigslist afterwards.

I seen this, I did something like it to a par of junk/broken POS system.
One of the two keyboard had a funky complex white alps like switch that took oil off all things. Etch switch has a oil fill port about the size of a paper clip. There was a blank key that did nothing so I pulled it off and took it a apart, It had rubber seals in the switch and a pan for the oil to go into. Very different than anything I seen before or since.

The other one I pulled did not work but I sold the alps switches off the keyboard for about 20$

Normally, I'd say that preference depends on training. I learned typing on a full-size office Underwood manual and was so happy to eventually get a portable electric (you can see its clone in the movie "Delirious" being used by John Candy).

When I was out of school, I was able to avail myself of several very good typewriters, including an IBM prop-spacing Executive model. I still use a couple of Selectrics on occasion.

My point is that all of these have positive aural and tactile feedback, which is what I'm used to. The puzzling thing for me is that keyboard hacking/collecting clan is far too young to be exposed to this. Hell, they type on laptops, which, to me have some of the worst keyboards ever made, tactile-wise. So, I don't understand the phenomenon.

So, I don't understand the phenomenon.

Part of it is from the widely held belief among gamers that a mechanical keyboard will speed up your response time and thus improve your gaming performance.

Indeed, most mechanical keyboards made today are specifically marketed towards gamers, with emphasis on flashy styling and multicolor LED lights.
Pictek-PPC021B-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard.jpg

Oddly enough, for the vintage stuff around my workshop, I've turned to using cheap rubber-dome keyboards. I have several and it's mostly a matter of grabbing one and pointing it at the right system. (not bluetooth, but IR).

It works well enough.

Oh well. I guess I should have kept that keyboard, but when I would type, it would keep the other people in the house up - it was that loud. Also, I could type faster on a new rubber-based keyboard. It feels like the deflection distance is quite a bit less. An issue with the cheap rubbery keyboards is that the keys tend to get sticky over time. Is this an issue hat is serviceable? I usually just swap out the keyboard when this happens.

Normally, I'd say that preference depends on training. I learned typing on a full-size office Underwood manual and was so happy to eventually get a portable electric (you can see its clone in the movie "Delirious" being used by John Candy).

When I was out of school, I was able to avail myself of several very good typewriters, including an IBM prop-spacing Executive model. I still use a couple of Selectrics on occasion.

My point is that all of these have positive aural and tactile feedback, which is what I'm used to. The puzzling thing for me is that keyboard hacking/collecting clan is far too young to be exposed to this. Hell, they type on laptops, which, to me have some of the worst keyboards ever made, tactile-wise. So, I don't understand the phenomenon.

I learned how to type on an electric IBM typewriter in high school.. My first computer was an Epson QX-10, which had a layout remarkably like the Model M. When I bought a Compaq Portable the PC layout drove me nuts for a while.

For those who want a clicky keyboard, but distrust eBay, I offer the Unicomp website. You can buy either a "classic" Model M layout or one with Windows keys for $87. They offer both PS/2 and USB interfaces, and even offer a Mac version.

Oh well. I guess I should have kept that keyboard, but when I would type, it would keep the other people in the house up - it was that loud. Also, I could type faster on a new rubber-based keyboard. It feels like the deflection distance is quite a bit less. An issue with the cheap rubbery keyboards is that the keys tend to get sticky over time. Is this an issue hat is serviceable? I usually just swap out the keyboard when this happens.

So take it apart & clean it. :)

I offer the Unicomp website. You can buy either a "classic" Model M layout or one with Windows keys for $87. They offer both PS/2 and USB interfaces, and even offer a Mac version.

I'm only able to find USB versions for some reason.

First time I've run across the phrase "premium experience" in a keyboard ad. :)

On older gear, I'll sometimes haul out my NCR Cherry switch model. Not really clicky, but not bad, either.

One of the problems with non-mechanical keyboards is the switch travel. I'm used to standard typewriters, so my touch is pretty heavy.

Memories of "Alright class, let's begin: A S D F J K L sem, A S D F J K L sem, A S D F...." A regular, measured rhythm was important back then so that the type levers wouldn't jam

Do not sell the mechanical keyboard hobby short.

Yes there are raiders who gut old keyboards, but there is also a vibrant community of keyboard PCB and keyboard case designers and a whole new ecosystem has sprung up to support the new market for mechanical keyboards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/ - Great pictures of some of the custom keyboards being created

https://kbdfans.cn - one of MANY shops that has sprung up selling custom aluminum and acrylic cases, PCBs, switches for keyboard enthusiasts

https://pimpmykeyboard.com - one of MANY shops that has sprung up to sell custom keycaps, many of which are homages to classic boards

Gaming keyboards are not looked very highly upon by mechanical keyboard enthusiasts, who prefer customs built to their spec.

Any selling double-shot keycaps?

How about keyboards for IBM Display Writers?

Seems to me like it's too late to put the toothpaste back into the tube. :(

Back