Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exceter View Post
    Ugh... I should probably stop reading this thread. Living within walking distance of the Canadian border and seeing posts like this makes me feel ill. I'm happy for the guy and I'm glad that he saved those items from the landfill. It just sucks to know that I could do the same thing if I didn't live so far away. I've driven 4 hours one way to get things multiple times but 28 hours one way with only a couple days warning is too hardcore even for me.
    I feel you there; I'm 60 miles south of Montreal. 6 to 7 hours one way for something is my limit.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Comment

Heck, I live in Reno and that's too much of a trip for me.

I watched LGRs video and that place is dangerous for me too....all those XT and AT clones and 1st Gen Deskpros would be costing me $$$$ in gas on the way back.

Almost wish I had the venture capital to buy it all out, get some property here and start a decent retro electronics shop of my own. The resources where I live are lacking or just plain closed.

Comment

Everybody likes a firesale but those type of systems that need work generally don't sell for much on any given day.

The biggest distance I ever went to pick up vintage equipment was a little over an hour one way, and that is kind of it for me unless you are giving away a Powermac 9150 or something.

I don't have the space for what I own now let along filling up a uhaul with items I would eventually get the urge to clean up, repair, and upgrade and then let them sit collecting dust instead of selling them off.
        What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
        Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
        Boxed apps and games for the above systems
        Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Now i was curious about how this place could look, now thanks to the LGR video i was able to see something from the insides.
          Wish i could go to the US just to get in the place, looks like lot of fun just walking there sure a unique experience.
          Nobody have more videos or pictures from inside the place ?.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Kossow View Post
            Other than the ones from Canada the Computer Museum saved, and are on exhibit in their original unmodified-for-Hollywood state today in Mountain View, CA.
            Thanks for the correction!

However, I think the exception kind of proves the rule...
            @LegalizeAdulthd | Computer Graphics Museum | Terminals Wiki | Manx Documentation Database

Comment

For all you upset that you are too far....

It's worse to be 12 minutes away and be banned

Comment

I joined the FB group and am having a change of heart. Now I'm thinking a one day excavation at a future event might be in order...at least 2 CRT, a 386 (DeskPro) and a box of random stuff. Budgeted out incl shipping costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Redmaus View Post

....go on. You can't just bait a post like that in here.
                  [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Comment

Originally posted by Redmaus View Post

Being banned implies having been there at least once soooo... No, no, not really.
                    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Comment

If I went, I would NOT bring a U-Haul truck. I’d bring an SUV, and whatever wouldn’t fit in the back of that wouldn’t go. That’s the best way I could think of to force myself not to get too much. Not to mention I think it would be totally awesome to see all of that stuff.
                      Compaq - It simply works better

Comment

Originally posted by compaqportableplus View Post
                        If I went, I would NOT bring a U-Haul truck. I’d bring an SUV, and whatever wouldn’t fit in the back of that wouldn’t go. That’s the best way I could think of to force myself not to get too much. Not to mention I think it would be totally awesome to see all of that stuff.
                        Lol. Kid in a candy store!

And yes, you'll probably get some stuff that doesn't work, but lets be honest, fixing and refurbishing this stuff it is half the fun!
                        My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Exceter View Post
                          Ugh... I should probably stop reading this thread. Living within walking distance of the Canadian border and seeing posts like this makes me feel ill. I'm happy for the guy and I'm glad that he saved those items from the landfill. It just sucks to know that I could do the same thing if I didn't live so far away. I've driven 4 hours one way to get things multiple times but 28 hours one way with only a couple days warning is too hardcore even for me.
                          Same sentiment over here... Watching LGRs video (as well as the other guy's livestream back in May) was a pretty big mistake on my end as well, as now I know exactly what I'm missing out on. As an IBM / MicroChannel nut, seeing all of those machines, including Model 95s, all of the NoS cards, parts and kits (like the hard drive kit LGR picked up) on top of things like Model M SSKs and PS/2 displays and knowing that even if I could get the time off I needed on a minutes notice to go down there, I'm just not at a point in my life financially to be able to do so. The trip costs alone would probably be too much. Knowing that I'm missing out on what's a once in a lifetime opportunity (doubly so for IBM nuts like me) is nothing less than soul crushing.

Comment

Originally posted by blackepyon View Post
                            Lol. Kid in a candy store!

And yes, you'll probably get some stuff that doesn't work, but lets be honest, fixing and refurbishing this stuff it is half the fun!
                            Haha, exactly!

And yes, I love fixing this stuff.
                            Compaq - It simply works better

Comment

Originally posted by ButINeededThatName View Post
                              ... even if I could get the time off I needed on a minutes notice to go down there, I'm just not at a point in my life financially to be able to do so. The trip costs alone would probably be too much. Knowing that I'm missing out on what's a once in a lifetime opportunity (doubly so for IBM nuts like me) is nothing less than soul crushing.
                              I know the feeling. I run a small landscaping company, but I'm not at the point yet where it can run without me (which would mean missing out on contractual maintenance obligations), which pretty much means that I'd only be able to do such a trip from BC on a long weekend, or during the winter after pruning's done and everybody's off for the season.
                              Last edited by blackepyon; July 16, 2019, 04:33 AM.
                              My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

I haven't watched the video's and not going to, being on the wrong side of the pond as usual

Comment

Working...
                                X