Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the overall feeling is: It's better to have the systems rescued by any means necessary, rather than end up in the crusher. Before this effort was organized, it was ALL going to the crusher. While the keyboard kidz and resellers/flippers irritate me to no end, if they rescued something that was missed, then at least it was rescued...
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
      if they rescued something that was missed, then at least it was rescued...
      Of course, that's the problem with the keyboard kidz, their stated goal is to desolder all the keyswitches and scrap the rest. From a collecting/hobby standpoint it's just as destroyed as if a goldbug dissolved it in his garage.
      My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
        Of course, that's the problem with the keyboard kidz, their stated goal is to desolder all the keyswitches and scrap the rest. From a collecting/hobby standpoint it's just as destroyed as if a goldbug dissolved it in his garage.
        What gave you this impression? (That they just desolder the switches.)

Every keyboard collector I've seen generally takes a retro keyboard as it is or puts an adapter on it to use it as a USB keyboard.
        @LegalizeAdulthd | Computer Graphics Museum | Terminals Wiki | Manx Documentation Database

Comment

Originally posted by legalize View Post
          What gave you this impression? (That they just desolder the switches.)
          Did you read this link mentioned above?

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=22030

Go down to the comments. The guy's threads have comments like this:

Already desoldered and sent off to E3E and gainsborough!
          re: switches from a non-PC-compatible source keyboard. Dig around the forums and you'll see plenty more, like when they murdered a pile of IBM Convertibles for their Alps switches...

Also the one encountered at Computer Reset apparently straight-up told the person that wanted a keyboard for his TI Professional that's what he was going to do with them, there's that too. Maybe he's atypical of "Keyboard Kidz" in general but just reading a few threads there seems adequate evidence to suggest there exists a significant subculture dedicated to keyswitch gutting.
          My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

I shouldn't have looked at the comments, he got a Displaywriter keyboard and was pissing his pants over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
              I think the overall feeling is: It's better to have the systems rescued by any means necessary, rather than end up in the crusher. Before this effort was organized, it was ALL going to the crusher. While the keyboard kidz and resellers/flippers irritate me to no end, if they rescued something that was missed, then at least it was rescued...
              This pretty much sums it up for me. While It burns my ass to see keyboards ripped to shreds for a trend, Its illogical to hold all people to my standards. If I could change anything, I would like to see proprietary keyboards saved, not chopped up. Past that, this is 'MURICA, and whoever pays the most money wins.
              It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

White Alps keyswitches on ebay are $15 for 5 ashipped so $3 a piece minus shipping so a keyboard that has 84- 100+ keys thats up to $300 for a keyboard minus the labor to remove the switches. More exotic switches will bring more. Plus you can sell the keycaps for a few bucks each over time.

I hate people stripping rare keyboards from the machines they go to but if they are going to be scrapped anyway why not. A year or so ago I broke a switch on one of my Northgate keyboards and was lucky enough to find a couple replacements on ebay cheap so it is working again.
                What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

It's still an ***k move to tell someone to their face that you're entitled to scrap every proprietary keyboard you happened to lay hands on first at a picking party. I get it, finders keepers, to the winners goes the spoils, whatever, but it's still a giant middle finger to basic civility.

Comment

If you're not going to come to Texas and buy things to add to your collection then give it a rest. I don't care for keyboard kid's tactics either, but if he hadn't purchased the keyboards who knows how many would end up in a landfill somewhere.

Hours are posted on the FB group - typically Saturday / Sunday as long as the family allows it to continue and as long as the weather holds out. I can't help it if you're doing your best impression of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino and don't like FB. It is what it is and FB is something most of us use in the Dallas area and it was the easiest way to get the info out there to the collecting community.

Comment

One guy made one comment about desoldering keyswitches from one keyboard, apparently the only keyboard to ever use that switch type.

This stuff was headed for the shredder anyway. Better to have it saved than shredded.

I've got terminals with keyboards with a single busted keyswitch in my collection. Knowing that there are people who make single keyswitches available (NOS or desoldered) is useful, even if what they are doing is not what I would personally do.
                      @LegalizeAdulthd | Computer Graphics Museum | Terminals Wiki | Manx Documentation Database

Comment

Originally posted by Al Kossow
                        1) It was 'saved' by someone who told a person who needed a keyboard for a machine that he couldn't have it. He also trashed the place in his wake.
                        I just re-read that entire thread (not the whole forum) and didn't see anything indicating this.

I also don't see anything "new" or particularly "egregious" here compared to all the other stuff I see. I see ebay sellers parting out machines all the time on ebay. I see recyclers cutting off "gold fingers" from boards and then trying to get me interested in the chopped up boards.

The world isn't full of collectors or "history folks", it's full of a variety of people all of whom have different perspectives on what these things are good for.

Once you start down the road of "everyone who looks at things differently than me is a lower form of human being", you end up in a dark place.

Hell, I know people in our community that nominally say that they are trying to get the equipment into the right hands for preservation and restoration and 10 YEARS LATER, they're still just talking and saying that they have the boards I'm looking for.

Bottom line is that all this stuff was rotting away in this guy's warehouse. Things clearly have been out-of-hand for many years, this isn't a recent development. He could have started getting this stuff into the hands of "people who care" long ago, but for whatever reason he didn't. Now it's a free-for-all fire sale and everythings gotta go and it's gotta go quick and it's gotta go now.

You can be irritated at the keyboard collectors because of their perspective on the value of things, but if you're going to blame them for their attitude, then you also have to blame the business owner for his attitude that created this gold-rush-grabbit-now scenario in the first place.

Speaking for myself, I'm not irritated at either party. Both of them are making the best of a tough surprise situation that the business owner found themselves in.

Comment

My day job is IT administration and computer teacher and I have many different types of students and I tell them all the time for whatever they gripe about; "Life is hard. If you can't make it easier, come hell or high water don't make it harder." I think this applies to many things. Including this one.
                          Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
                          Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
                          Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Comment

Originally posted by legalize View Post
                            Hell, I know people in our community that nominally say that they are trying to get the equipment into the right hands for preservation and restoration and 10 YEARS LATER, they're still just talking and saying that they have the boards I'm looking for.

Bottom line is that all this stuff was rotting away in this guy's warehouse. Things clearly have been out-of-hand for many years, this isn't a recent development. He could have started getting this stuff into the hands of "people who care" long ago, but for whatever reason he didn't. Now it's a free-for-all fire sale and everythings gotta go and it's gotta go quick and it's gotta go now.
                            I am not sure how much I agree with your other statements but these two I can definitely fall behind. I personally know some of the people in the first line. All talk about how they want items to get into the hands of people who will appreciate them and will not chuck them or flip them on eBay. However, when it comes to deliver suddenly they are asking eBay prices and acting like they are doing you a favor.

As for the second one the owner was never much into selling/listing his ware. As I have mentioned I had previously bought from him and had asked specifically for certain pieces that he swore he didn't have. Recent postings would indicate otherwise. He just wasn't willing (or couldn't) dig through the stuff to make a good inventory of what he had. Plus once a few items started selling for ridiculous prices he thought he should get that all the time. If you have this much stuff to sell I would think the smart money is on selling as much as you can before you end up in a home - because as they say you can't take it with you...
                            Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Comment

Sadly, it seems that for a lot of these guys that have these big piles of stuff, we have to wait until they have serious medical circumstances or have passed away before the stuff becomes available to collectors at semi-reasonable prices. (My idea of "semi-reasonable" probably makes me willing to pay a lot more than the average vintage collector because I'm accustomed to ebay prices.)

That's how it was with The Black Hole surplus in Los Alamos. I made 4 trips down there with a trailer and hauled out heaps of stuff at very reasonable prices because Ed Grothus's heirs didn't want to continue the business and the stock on hand was their inheritance. They gave interested folks plenty of time to rescue items at a fair price (at least 6-12 months). In the end, they had a last gasp sale before what remained went to the scrapper. I probably could have pulled out even more stuff from there: Friden mechanical calculators, typewriters, some more teletype stuff, about 7 or so TI Silent 700 terminals, etc., had I put even more effort into it. As it stood, I got a good amount of stuff out of there that I'm pretty sure would have ended up on the scrap pile. It was an all day drive one way for me to pull stuff out of there, but for the things I was interested in, it was worth the effort.

Comment

People get funny when items they purchased as junk starts selling as collectable and prices keep going up.

Nobody really thinks about someday not being able to lift somewhat heavy objects, their eyesight slow failing, forgetting where they put everything or even what they have, and finally not being able to take care of yourself let alone the stuff you hoarded. I would think hoards like that end up in landfills more often then not.
                                What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                                Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                                Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                                Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Working...
                                X