Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

FYI: Computer Reset liquidation (Dallas, TX)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mbbrutman
    replied
    Your wish is my command. This thread has run its course.

Leave a comment:

• ngtwolf
    replied
    Honestly, this thread just needs to be closed unless there is something new actually related to this sale, and not just back and forth about a guy who bought a bunch of keyboards who's since been banned from the (closing) store.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Originally Posted by Exceter
    It was the stated intent of the CR owner(s) and volunteers to save as many of these vintage systems from the scrappers as possible.

Ya', but you can't say for sure just how savvy (or diligent, for that matter) these people are or how they determine just who is and who isn't a scrapper. It took them a little while to figure out what this guy was all about, didn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Shadow Lord
    replied
    Originally posted by Stone View Post
    What makes you think that the organizers give a hoot about what happens to all that junk once it leaves the premises?
    Based on:

Originally posted by Exceter View Post
    It was the stated intent of the CR owner(s) and volunteers to save as many of these vintage systems from the scrappers as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    I am also going to say something which may be very unpopular: The organizers also bear some of the responsibility.
    What makes you think that the organizers give a hoot about what happens to all that junk once it leaves the premises?

Leave a comment:

• Shadow Lord
    replied
    Originally posted by dkarguth View Post
    He's not a bad guy, he just got carried away at CR. When you see literal piles of the very thing you collect for dirt cheap, you tend to grab a bunch of them.
    While I agree with this, that is not what he did. Having been in a similar situation I have grabbed a ton of things (4 pallets worth to be exact) but no more then I had need for (e.g. I only need one old LJ printer not all of them) and not at the detriment of customers coming after me... The difference is he is not grabbing one kb that was lying by its own lonesome. He was actively separating the kb from a complete system. I understand his motivation (money) and the reward (status with KB geeks and money). I just don't agree with him. I also understand people like this exist for ever hobby and industry.

I am also going to say something which may be very unpopular: The organizers also bear some of the responsibility. Yes I understand they are overwhelmed, under powered, volunteers, blah blah. However, if you are taking on the responsibility you should make the effort to put in some safeguards in place. I mean a KB limit (hell many limits) seems like a no brainer for anyone opening up a warehouse to the public. If you see someone trying to buy 50 keyboards (or 50 of anything) as a non-scrapper you got to think to yourself "what am I missing?" Why are they interested in buying crappy dirty keyboards for $5 when brand new ones are available for $5.99 shipped.

Leave a comment:

• Al Kossow
    replied
    Originally posted by dkarguth View Post
    I would bet most of them just don't realize that a bunch of those keyboards are special, and the machines they go with are bricked when they are separated.
    I have an IBM Displaywriter that I had been putting together to finish documenting the hardware so it can be properly emulated in MAME
    They know damn well it is 'collectable', and butcher them with USB adapters.
    I am going to put the system back in storage since I've spent a year trying to find one.

My other big annoyance with them is they'll draw keymaps, but they don't dump the original firmware so you can't clone it.
    This is especially annoying with terminal keyboard hoarders.
    Last edited by Al Kossow; November 9, 2019, 08:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dkarguth
    replied
    In Redmaus's defense, he was very generous when I contacted him to let him know he had a couple of proprietary keyboards for a system of mine. I picked up two TI Professional Computers, and handed one off to someone else from CR who had been looking for one. However, the keyboards were nowhere to be found. I later found out that redmaus had picked them up. He mentioned he was planning to remove the switches, as they were a rare type and the keyboard basically looks like a generic 80's PC keyboard. However, when I contacted him and asked him to spare the keyboards if I offered to buy them for a decent price he held off scrapping them. Once I explained they were proprietary and the computer was useless without them, he ended up just giving them to me even though I offered to pay for them.
    He's not a bad guy, he just got carried away at CR. When you see literal piles of the very thing you collect for dirt cheap, you tend to grab a bunch of them. I'm not saying I agree with everything he did, but he did at least apologize and actively attempted to rehome the proprietary boards he picked up to people with those systems once he realized they could not be replaced.
    I can't speak for all the deskthority people, but I would bet most of them just don't realize that a bunch of those keyboards are special, and the machines they go with are bricked when they are separated.

Leave a comment:

• NeXT
    replied
    I really wish there was a way for us computer collectors to cut off deskthority's supply of this stuff.
    I can think of quite a few things you could do to at the very least move their work back underground but none of it is within the rules on this forum.

Other than that, you could work on compiling lists of usernames and handles for the purpose of making a blacklist.
    Last edited by NeXT; November 8, 2019, 12:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• falter
    replied
    Oh wow.. I hadn't seen those pictures. Redmaus - you are a cad, sir.

I really wish there was a way for us computer collectors to cut off deskthority's supply of this stuff. Personally any time I've seen a keyboard I know would appeal to them come up for a reasonable price on ebay, I grab it. Or sometimes I'm a jerk in auctions and bid stuff up as high as I know the market will bear just to make em pay. Anything to annoy/deny them.

Leave a comment:

• Unknown_K
    replied
    We would not be having this conversation if the complete keyboard was easily sold for more then the sum of it parts minus time and labor. Kind of reminds me when companies are worth more parted out and closed down then they are running with people working there. Same people destroy companies that destroy keyboards, its just the corporate raiders have more cash.

Leave a comment:

• Exceter
    replied
    Originally posted by Trixter View Post
    It's slightly better, in that the keyboards can someday be reunited with their host systems.
    That's a very dim hope but it's a valid point.

Leave a comment:

• Trixter
    replied
    Originally posted by Exceter View Post
    This renders the exact same number of vintage systems unusable as if the keyboards were scrapped for their parts. That's not better, in my book.
    It's slightly better, in that the keyboards can someday be reunited with their host systems.

Leave a comment:

• maxtherabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I get the analogy, but killing elephants is not the same level as parting out a keyboard
    tbh I think a keyboard has more meaning to me than some big dumb elephant

Leave a comment:

• Exceter
    replied
    Originally posted by Stone View Post
    It's refreshing to see that some assessments are still rational.

Basically you're putting the collectors into a similar category as the scavengers and I can't say that I disagree with that reasoning.
    If by "collector", you mean someone who takes a rare piece of history and modifies it then, yes, I'm putting them into a similar category as a scrapper.
    If by "collector", you mean someone who takes a rare piece of history and preserves it for future generations then no, I'm not putting them into a similar category as a scrapper.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X