• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: Unique IMSAI

smp

Veteran Member
This IMSAI system is a good, working IMSAI with Front Panel, original IMSAI 8080 CPU board, and a clear plexiglass cover. I think it's pretty unique. And, it keeps the dust off of everything inside while still allowing one to see what's in there. Quite an advantage over never putting the cover on because you must be able to see the insides (like me), and also allows you to see whatever indicator LEDs your boards may have. I've never seen another like this. Somewhere, long ago, I heard that one of the west coast Computer Stores had these covers made for their display systems. I don't know if that's true or not.

I acquired this system more than 15 years ago. It needed a bit of work to get it running. As you can see in the photos, back then the only replacement switch handles I could find matched pretty well in red, but unfortunately not at all in blue. However, the Front Panel is completely working with the few switch handles I purchased. I cannot remember which two the replacement red ones are. I've used this system with many S-100 boards, as I put together various bits to get a system running. Over the years, it has been my main test bed. Now that I recently completed my Altair 8800c, and since I also have a Northstar Horizon, I find that I am not using this system. Rather than continue to have it doing nothing, I would like it to go to someone who really wants an IMSAI, and will enjoy using it and showing it off to others, as I have in the past.

The photos also try to show the mod made by the previous owner to be able to detach the AC power connection to the Front Panel. This is lamp cord with a plug and a socket. The only time I disturbed this is when I worked on the Front Panel in the beginning.

I'm looking for at least $1500 (US) for the working chassis with Front Panel, original IMSAI 8080 CPU board, and plexiglass cover. If I am lucky enough to get more than one interested party, I will inform all parties of this, and I will consider the highest offer.

I do not have the proper boxes or packing material to properly pack this system for shipment. I will be bringing it to a local FedEx to get it packed well. I will post back here about what the packing cost turns out to be. Then, of course, there will be the actual shipping cost on top of that.

I do have some family commitments going on, so things might not move as quickly as you (or I) would like, but I will be as communicative as I can, and I will get things done as quickly as I can.

Please ask whatever questions you have, and I'll do my best to answer them. If you have questions, perhaps they'd be best here in the thread, so others can benefit from the answers.

IMG_1429.jpg IMG_1422.jpg
IMG_1415.jpg IMG_1423.jpg
IMG_1416.jpg IMG_1424.jpg
IMG_1417.jpg IMG_1425.jpg
IMG_1418.jpg IMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1420.jpg IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1421.jpg IMG_1428.jpg

I hope this is interesting to someone! If you've been looking to acquire a good working IMSAI (with the risk that things could change during shipping) this could be your chance. And I think it's a pretty unique one, too. :lol: Thanks for looking!

smp

"If you've been looking to acquire a good working IMSAI (with the risk that things could change during shipping) "

They should not "change during shipping" if you spend the money to pack it correctly.

"If you've been looking to acquire a good working IMSAI (with the risk that things could change during shipping) "

They should not "change during shipping" if you spend the money to pack it correctly.

A big AMEN to that. The system is currently at FedEx, being professionally packed for shipment. They will be using InstaPack, so the computer will be nestled in a clamshell of form-fitted foam, after the front panel switches are protected by themselves. The cable to the front panel, as well as the IMSAI 8080 CPU board, are separately wrapped in anti-static bubble wrap inside the chassis cavity.

Once I have the package, it will be pretty easy to determine the shipping cost options for whoever is interested.

smp

Well, now that my post has fallen off the first page, my analysis says that I was too optimistic about what I might achieve with this system.

As an update, does this system interest anyone at $1200 plus shipping?

Please remember that this system is a good solid working system that has been working for many years - it is not one that has had to be brought back to life. It should be a goos system for many years to come.

Thanks for looking!

smp

Mine has just arrived in the UK. All safe and sound using the Ebay global shipping programme at a cost of $170 to the UK (plus a fortune to the UK government in import duties and taxes of course)

I note your Ebay listing doesn't seem to include international shipping - is Ebay's shipping programme something you would consider to ship internationally ?

Back