• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Cheap NOS 16Kb DRAMs available

Hmmmm... $.60 each...

They're 1 bit chips, aren't they?

So nine would make a 16Kb bank (with parity).

64 banks would make a MB.

64 banks = 576 chips.

So 1 MB of these chips would run ~ $345.60 or so.

Wow... $345 per MB... whata deal! :)

Old things are what they are. My Altair used 4Kbit chips. And that was an improvement over the 256 bit and 1Kbit chips.

First-gen 5150s used these as well as many older 8-bit systems. $0.60 for NOS is quite a deal.

A 5150 sold at inflation-adjusted prices today would seem insanely expensive, given the capabilities.

So what's your point?

Just stating facts, not unlike you did.

You editorialized as well:

Wow... $345 per MB... whata deal!

Non sequitur.

In fact, in 1975, it would be an outrageous deal. But the same thing could be said of virtually any storage medium. With a 16TB hard disk going for $400, a 20MB hard disk should cost about $.0005 (five one-hundredths of a cent).
Try to find one on eBay for that--oh, and deduct a bit for the controller (part of the 16TB drive) that you'll need for that 20MB drive.

Any idea what machines used these? They aren't pin-compatible with MOSTEK 4116s that I have in my TRS-80 Model I

Lift pin 8 and connect it to pin 9. It's then a drop-in for 4116, but uses only a single-rail +5 supply.

+5v 16Kb DRAM is pretty hard to come by, normally.

They used to have flat-rate USPS shipping for small items--something like $5. $25 is insane for a bunch of DRAMs. Glad I bought my keyboards when I did.

It was only showing $7 and some change for me. I’m guessing the price of a small flat rate box? One weird thing is that when I clicked the PayPal link it looked like it wasn’t going to charge me any shipping at all. I didn’t complete the check out because I’m seeing if they have some other stuff I want to get too.

Could be a case of "the Amazon phenomenon". You know, where they say "free shipping", but at checkout, they default to a higher shipping fee--you have to manually select "free shipping".

Speaking from the other point of view, while $25 does seem a bit high I understand why shipping and handling costs can be higher than the cost of the parts. A couple of years ago, when I was actively putting together kits of hard-to-find parts and printed circuit boards for the CPU280 project, I saw first-hand the costs involved, especially when buying antistatic packaging supplies.

It would be easy to use the Amazon model and just build the price of shipping into the cost of the part, but even Amazon draws a line, as there are things I've ordered that had to be 'add-on' items since the cost of the item wouldn't cover the cost of shipping. Amazon is also able to cut deals with shippers for better rates, and smaller businesses (such as my hobby business doing the CPU280 stuff) don't have that leverage.

But the small box flat-rate shipping alone is at least $7.35 for Priority Mail; Priority Express is $25 or more. And then there is the cost of the packing material....

I understand the idea to build the cost of shipping and packaging into the item price, but I preferred, when I was actively shipping kits out, to quote costs for the parts (including in the parts costs a bit of my time to test the chips I shipped, especially the Z8028012VSC MPU chips and the very hard to find particular FDC used by the CPU280) and then let the buyer know that there was a cost for packaging; in my case, for US buyers I charged a flat $10 for shipping and handling (shipping with insurance for the kit of parts and board was usually $9 or so, and that left >$1 for my time to package it plus the various antistatic materials and bubble wrap). International was more, but International Priority Mail is rather expensive anyway, and as I recall I think I just barely broke even on that, with the cost $34.95 or so and I think I charged $35 flat S&H for International. Having said that, I didn't experience a single lost package with International Priority, and the shipping speed was pretty good.

So, while $25 might seem steep for shipping a few chips, the business overhead has to be covered somewhere, and some businesses choose to subsidize overhead across the parts costs, and some subsidize with the shipping and handling costs. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just saying that the business overhead costs have to come from somewhere, or eventually the business will close. In my case, after figuring my costs, over one year I netted like $16 or so for about $1,000 gross sales of just the CPU280, according to the P&L spreadsheet I prepared for filing my tax return for that year. Good thing that wasn't my primary business!

Back