• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM SAGE Hughes Aircraft Typotron - a Memory Charactron Tube

IbmEarlyComputers

Hello Everybody, I have an IBM SAGE Typotron Tube Display for sale.
It’s called an IBM Typotron a cousin of the Charactron.
It was part of the cold war era Program, IBM SAGE Semi-Automatic Ground Environment. It had system of large computers and associated networking equipment that coordinated data from many radar sites and processed it to produce a single unified image of the airspace over a wide area. The actual typotron , was announced and developed circa 1956, combined the character generator method of the Charactron with a storage-tube screen structure. The result was a display that required no further use of computer memory – very expensive at that time – once the information was written on the storage target until one desired to change the displayed information. In all other respects operation was similar to that of a conventional storage tube. From my research there is only a handful in existence as this was quite the achievement at the time. From my understanding, this device is quite rare to find and belongs in a proper museum to archive and display it. I have decided to sell this marvelous piece of early technology as I have been told it might bring a little money and that will help immensely with my son’s college tuition. If you or someone you know may have some interest in it, please feel free to follow the link here.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293422983032
s-l1600 (5).jpg
I posted the listing on ebay. The current price listed is just a random price as it is a best offer listing to start the “bidding process". I am open to any and all offers .

Back