• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

USB Converters for old IBM or compatible, Apple ADB keyboards and mice..

tinkerBOY

Experienced Member

Attachments

• adb_kb.jpg
    adb_kb.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IBM_PS2.jpg
    IBM_PS2.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IBM_XT.jpg
    IBM_XT.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1
  • m0100.jpg
    m0100.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1
  • m0110.jpg
    m0110.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 1
  • terminal.jpg
    terminal.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1
  • terminal_1.jpg
    terminal_1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1
How does this $27 + ship PS/2 to USB converter differ from the $1.50 units on eBay that handle both a PS/2 keyboard & mouse?

How does this $27 + ship PS/2 to USB converter differ from the $1.50 units on eBay that handle both a PS/2 keyboard & mouse?

AFAIK, those only work on devices that are already USB-ready internally. (Personally, I'd only seen such for mice. Can you link a keyboard example?) These are real converters that will work on devices that have no conception of USB. (I've bought the Mac ones, and was pleased enough that I've now ordered the XT/AT and PS/2 units.) The PCish ones are said to be based on "Soarer's Convertor". You can find other implementations, at generally similar prices, but not as elegantly packaged.

The PCPlay-based ones are pretty good. Work flawlessly with Model Ms and PS/2 mice in my experience. Even work with my own PS/2 keyboard interface cobble-up.

The PCPlay-based ones are pretty good. Work flawlessly with Model Ms and PS/2 mice in my experience. Even work with my own PS/2 keyboard interface cobble-up.

I'm not having much luck with "PCPlay" as a search term. I did find that some generic adapters like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007AP2O

are a lot cheaper than they were last time I looked. But I have an adapter that looks like that, apart from the color (who knows how it differs internally) that I wasn't happy with, that I replaced with a BlueCube, that I recently decided I wasn't happy with either. The old adapter would too often crash, blinking the keyboard lights and briefly dropping input. The BlueCube did it less often, but still did it. I'm hoping that maybe the Tinkerboy adapter will be free of this issue... we'll see.

The USB VID identifies the chip as being from PCPlay. I have no idea who actually put the adapter together.

I had a Model M and mouse on one in a system for two years before I remembered that I'd used it--the PS/2 rear panel connectors were empty. No problems in all that time. I also use the same setup for an Orange Pi PC; again, no problems.

AFAIK, those only work on devices that are already USB-ready internally. (Personally, I'd only seen such for mice. Can you link a keyboard example?) These are real converters that will work on devices that have no conception of USB. (I've bought the Mac ones, and was pleased enough that I've now ordered the XT/AT and PS/2 units.) The PCish ones are said to be based on "Soarer's Convertor". You can find other implementations, at generally similar prices, but not as elegantly packaged.

No, I don't think that is true. I have never had any issue using PS2 Keyboards on any usb adapter. But looking at the site, there is mention of re-mapping, so I am guessing this is more than just an adapter, which could justify the price delta.

No, I don't think that is true. I have never had any issue using PS2 Keyboards on any usb adapter.
There are adapters like this:

shopping

which are purely passive, with the USB electronics in the device (mouse) itself. This is what I thought of when I saw "$1.50". But I see now that there are real adapters going for ~$5 (and maybe even less), vs. the ~$15 I saw when I last (long ago) bought one.

shopping

which are purely passive, with the USB electronics in the device (mouse) itself. This is what I thought of when I saw "$1.50". But I see now that there are real adapters going for ~$5 (and maybe even less), vs. the ~$15 I saw when I last (long ago) bought one.

Ok, well I mean there is a reason those things are color coded. The mouse ones won't work with keyboards and vice versa. But I've had no problems with the keyboard ones. But you are right that mice are different in regards to this.

Right, thats the passive type.

I purchased 5X *active* PS/2 mouse & keyboard adapters for $1.50 USD/ea. in qtys of 5pcs. They are a Y-cable style with PS/2 female connectors for both mouse & keyboard, and have a chip built-in the cable.

Only thing I notice, is that they are fussy with some hardware / OS combinations.

shopping

(I've bought the Mac ones, and was pleased enough that I've now ordered the XT/AT and PS/2 units.)

So, I've received these. Briefly, I can say that my XT/AT adapter is working well, for both types of keyboards, with full coverage of all functions. The PS/2 adapter works, but not with my Unicomp Model M (what I mostly wanted it for), possibly due to what's said to be an excessive power draw by that keyboard. (sigh)

I use my model M's with the PCPlay keyboard/mouse USB adapters quite a bit (seeing as I don't even own a USB keyboard or mouse). I've never run into the situation of "excessive power draw" even on things like the little Orange Pi PCs--and that's with a laser mouse (which I assume draws more power than a mechanical one).

Dunno; never ever had a problem with a Model M and PCPlay adapter, even with a laser mouse. It's worth noting that the Geekhack postings are from 8 years ago.

^bump

I will be selling some mouse adapters for Amiga and Macintosh pc too so watch out.. :)

Are you referring to Amiga or Mac mice working on a USB PC (which honestly makes no sense to me since both mice suck), or being able to use a USB mouse on an Amiga & Mac?

Back