• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTT YE-Data YD-580 Bezel Have AT-grey need XT-black

maxtherabbit

Veteran Member
I have a YD-580 360kB drive from an AT. I would like to trade just the bezel and door lever for one in XT black.

This is what I'm looking for (note the little asterisk to denote 360kB) - I have the same one in AT grey to trade.
IBM_YD580_XT_floppy_drive_1-2_front.JPG

Alternatively if you have a dead black drive, I would be interested in buying just the bezel or perhaps the whole thing for parts.

Last edited:
I also have the 1.2MB version the YD-380 in AT grey. I'd like to trade bezels for that one as well (exact same as pictured without the asterisk)

I've got a YD-380-1710 in black, but it's not the AT (asterisk) version. Date 1985-08. It's definitely old-school, complete with head-load solenoid. PM me if interested--I might trade. I've long put it aside, thinking it was a 720K model, but to be honest, never checked it out.

The asterisk was only included on the YD-580 to denote double density. It makes sense the 1.2MB HD YD-380 would not have it. I'll definitely take you up on that, will get with you tomorrow on PM. Taking the bezel off is pretty easy as far as I can tell, just loosen the set screw on the lever and slide it off, then 2 screws on the bezel itself. I'll verify that and then message you.

Well, here's another thing that's a bit strange--the lever on mine is as shown in the top photo, but is "inverted". That is the "stepped" side faces down, with the "flat" side facing up. This is as shown below and agrees with what's in the service manual:

YD380-01.JPG

Clearly, this is by design and not some adjustment error. In fact, my drive is the same model as shown here

Last edited:
I painted several bezels with some 'plastic' spray paint from Walmart. Did a pretty good job, not perfect but okay. One of them was a CD-ROM bezel that goes in my big gamer - it was military green and came out real well. You can shop and find crinkle finish flat black or just flat black for plastics.

Well, here's another thing that's a bit strange--the lever on mine is as shown in the top photo, but is "inverted". That is the "stepped" side faces down, with the "flat" side facing up. This is as shown below and agrees with what's in the service manual:

YD380-01.JPG

Clearly, this is by design and not some adjustment error. In fact, my drive is the same model as shown here

Is your lever held on by a set screw? The pic you posted looks like the YD-380B which uses a totally different lever design and is not interchangeable with the non-Bs

I painted several bezels with some 'plastic' spray paint from Walmart. Did a pretty good job, not perfect but okay. One of them was a CD-ROM bezel that goes in my big gamer - it was military green and came out real well. You can shop and find crinkle finish flat black or just flat black for plastics.

I may end up doing this. I'm trying to restore a 5162 XT-286 as best I can

Is your lever held on by a set screw? The pic you posted looks like the YD-380B which uses a totally different lever design and is not interchangeable with the non-Bs
I have the YD-380B, it doesn't have the set screw and has a green led instead of the red one. Other than that it looks like the pictured drive.

No, there's definitely a set screw there. My drive conforms quite closely with the model mentioned in the service manual here. See PDF page 18--also note the orientation (flat side up) of the lever.

Interesting. Also notice on that same page how the second diagram depicting the removal of the bezel and lever appears to show the flat side down.

The drive shown in the 1983 maintenance document here shows flat side up.

Now, my -1710 model is apparently for use in the Japanese market, as the claim is made that it's essentially PC98-compatibe (1.6MB unformatted/1.2/1.3MB formatted) and not DD/HD dual mode. However, pin 2 is definitely connected, so I'll have to read through the manual to get to the bottom of that one.

There's a setscrew on the lever and the label on the back of the drive says "YD 380-1710) just as in the photo of the site I linked to. Other than the manufacturing date, mine's identical to that shown there.

perhaps it's an IBM thing? both my YD-580 and YD-380 are flat side down and say "manufactured for IBM" on the back

My YD-380 Type 1711 that was in my 5162 has the same, IIRC the 5162's were shipped with 1 x YD-380 1.2Mb from the IBM factory as standard, The 360k / 720k was optional, I can't remember if the 5162's were available barebones from IBM, If they were it was up to the dealers.

Chuck - does that drive you have have the "textured" finish of the ones pictured in the OP? Or is it just standard black

As pictured, it's a fine-grained matte black, not the "pebblized" finish of the IBM models.

I'm of the opinion that the IBM ones were a QSE with Y-E. Not unusual--Y-E made drives for a lot of companies.

Back