• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: V20 Cpu (USA)

dabone

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a V20 for sale in the US for a reasonable amount?
I'm looking to upgrade my Tandy 1000sx.
Ebay is sparse currently.

Thanks.

Looks like the original one that I'm still using in a system. You probably won't be disappointed. For the time, CerDIP packaging was superior to plastic.

These are fake, btw. Very easy to tell by the picture.

Which are fake, the D70108HCZ-16s?

I've upgraded two Tandy machines with V-20s purchased from the perpetual eBay listing for those @ about $4 each and they worked fine. It's certainly possible they're relabeled to pretend they're rated faster than the truth but I haven't had any trouble at 7.16mhz. Judging from the solder tinning on the pins they are definitely *used*.

Just got the ceramic one from ebay, works fine and looked nos, not a scratch on the pins.

Just burned a new ide_xtpl.bin rom for the nic (I use a 16bit controller in 8bit mode) and everything seems to be working great.

What would a 'fake' CPU in this context even mean? Just a dummy plastic chip with no logic? Seems like a strange amount of effort for an item that costs $4-10.

What would a 'fake' CPU in this context even mean? Just a dummy plastic chip with no logic? Seems like a strange amount of effort for an item that costs $4-10.

"Counterfeit" is probably a better word than "fake" to describe these problematic ICs. These parts will have an IC in them that will often be of the correct general type, but have issues such as (a) lower spec parts relabelled as a higher spec part by someone other than the original manufacturer, (b) factory rejects or seconds that someone else has acquired and placed counterfeit labelling on, (c) poorly made copies made by a "no name" company with counterfeit labelling, or (d) old parts recycled as new without testing. For commonly used commodity ICs being sold in large volume, there is money to made in that business.

"Counterfeit" is probably a better word than "fake" to describe these problematic ICs. These parts will have an IC in them that will often be of the correct general type, but have issues such as (a) lower spec parts relabelled as a higher spec part by someone other than the original manufacturer, (b) factory rejects or seconds that someone else has acquired and placed counterfeit labelling on, (c) poorly made copies made by a "no name" company with counterfeit labelling, or (d) old parts recycled as new without testing. For commonly used commodity ICs being sold in large volume, there is money to made in that business.

Interesting, educational.
So, my V20 did not work perfectly but I assumed it was the box, and not the processor. But, maybe it was a marginal part. hmmph.

Back