• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Vintage/Semi-Vintage Computer Parts and Other Misc. Accessories: 486’s-Pentium III’s

406refining

I run an electronics recycling company in Montana and come across a wide variety of items dropped off for recycling. Most of it’s junk (pentium 4’s and so many printers/TV’s/monitors), but occasionally I get in vintage computers and other equipment. Some weeks it’s 100 pounds and other weeks it’s 5,000+ pounds so if you’re looking for anything in particular from computer parts and keyboards to mice and other vintage things for a certain unit I’ve probably got what you’re looking for (I’m not much of a tech guy so pictures of what you’re after are extremely helpful on my end!).

Items I typically get in:

-desktops 486’s up to Pentium III’s
-floppy disks (3.5”) with various programs and such (I’m not a tech guy so I don’t know if that’s something of interest)
-a lot of old keyboards and mice for late 80’s to late 90’s model computers
-word processors from time to time and other similar items
-a bunch of stuff that I have no idea how to even begin describing

*At this point I don’t sell any hard drives from computers. I also don’t do CRT’s (tube monitors/TV’s) either so I won’t be able to supply any of those at this point.

Shipping and Other Info:

-Shipping is from Billings, MT, 59101
-I would prefer that the buyer pays the shipping on items, but that isn’t a deal breaker
-I only ship to locations in the US at this time.

Anyhow, if you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Thank you for your note! I'm sure that your contact here will be very useful. I'm in Canada so that's a challenge for me...

Do you have any 486 - early pentium horizontal (the kind where the monitor goes on top of the case) desktops?

Instead of people sending pictures of what they want you would be better served to take high resolution and clear snapshots of what you have as it comes in (even if it is on a pallet) and post them somewhere easy to view and people will come to you.

Also take pictures of your bins after you strip machines so people can see boards, cards, cpus they might want that are not visible on closed machines.

Anything that looks custom or high end (power supplies, heatsinks, motherboards, cpu upgrades) should be left aside for a bit. I think after you have stripped 100's of 486-P3 machines you should be able to spot something that looks unusual or updated.

Also clicky keyboards, serial mice, and other no longer made items have some value.

406refining, I agree, It would be infinitely more efficient if you could take some pictures of what you have - you could very well have something that nobody here has thought of that might be worth some $$$ if sold right. Half the battle is just identifying what you have.

I recently had the opportunity to see a local recycling/surplus place, and the way they did things was to look up sold items by model number on eBay. They had a wide variety of stuff that was worth money all the way from medical equipment, to AV equipment, to server equipment, to a digital barometer, and I think I saw a Seagate ST225 hard drive sitting in a corner.

In general what is considered "vintage":
Obviously any pre-IBM PC stuff or non IBM compatible computers
Genuine IBM PC/XT/AT/PS2 computers
IBM PC/XT clones.
486 or earlier clone PCs, especially if they are generic XT or AT form computers.
Don't be turned off by a custom generic PC clone that has no brand markings or some small company brand marking, those are often quite desirable and may have uncommon parts installed.
You might crap yourself if you see what some beige PC keyboards sell for. I'd suggest holding on to any keyboard with an XT/AT style DIN plug. Generally anything beige that does not have the "Windows logo" keys is a good bet. Something with decent key switches can get $50-$100 and certain kinds of Alps key switches can go through the roof.
8"inch and 5.25" floppy drives are highly desirable. A combo half height 3.5"/5.25" drive can be an easy $75-$100. 3.5" drives are still quite common, but good condition drives can sell for a few bucks.

Pentium era and later stuff can be useful as an in-between system. Also, they can be desirable for certain vintages of video games. Personally, I would keep an eye out for anything in generic AT or ATX cases. Those are very easily customizable. For example, it would be easy to add network cards or extra floppy drives. Personally, I would think proprietary Dell/Compaq/Packard Bell/HP machines would be worthless, but I have been quite surprised seeing some (complete, good condition units) sell for ~$200 on eBay.

Also be on the lookout for any AMD 5x86 motherboard. For some reason those sell for obscene amounts of money.

ISA sound cards that are compatible with the Sound Blaster are quite desirable. Always be sure to describe the exact model as that can make a huge difference.

If you open a machine up and find a 3DFX Voodoo 5 video card, or and original Adlib sound card, you just hit the jackpot. Find a Macintosh version of a Voodoo 5 and you might be set for retirement :p

Anything with blue LEDs can be smashed with a sledge hammer. Same goes for PCI Winmodem cards.

I'm guessing you are under rules about re-selling hard drives. I don't think anybody is going to cry about a generic IDE hard drive going to the chipper shredder, but the early "MFM" and "RLL" hard drives (ST506/ST412 interface) are very desirable. If you are worried about data, just testing and re-low leveling will wipe every bit of data. These kinds don't and can't hide any data away. I've also noticed that the supply of 50-pin SCSI hard drives on eBay seems to have dried up. There are a few other weird drives like XTA protocol drives or IBM "ESDI" drives that I would avoid trashing.

There is an interest in CRT monitors. At this point Monochrome IBM MDA/Hercules compatible monitors or mono composite computer monitors are desirable. Many RGB CRT monitors are desirable. Most early VGA monitors are junk, but there are some exceptions such as the original NEC Multisync, monochrome VGA, and certain brands such as IBM. Also, some of the later (2000s) VGA CRTs were very good quality, such as the Samsung SynchMaster 753DF series, so something like that in good condition would be worth picking out. Although due to shipping, you might have to consider just local sales for that sort of thing.

While most used CD/DVD drives are not worth much, just a heads up that there are a few specific models that can be worth money if they are in good condition and working. Specifically there are certain models of Plextor drives compatible with DiscImageCreator (DIC) - these drives have the ability to copy certain copy protected CDs. Also, personally I'd be on the lookout for some of the last models of DVD drives shipped with beige faceplates such as the Pioneer 118 or Samsung 552. Even just the faceplates as long as they are in good condition.

There are people, including myself, that are interested in computer software, disks, and manuals. Basically anything on 5.25" floppy disk should be plopped on eBay. 3.5" disk stuff, kind of depends. Software development tools can sell for surprising amounts. Don't dismiss software titles just because Google turns up nothing about it - that may actually make it more desirable. Real collectors like to have manuals and disks with their vintage computers.

Anyway, this forum is a great place to get help with identifying odd devices, or identifying specific details about parts.

Thank you for the pointers SomeGuy!

I will definitely keep any eye out for those cards/drives/boards. In Montana there aren't very many rules for electronics recycling in general, unless you want to do CRT's. I've had to stay away from them because of the amount of licensing required. They don't specifically outline what to do with hard drives, but the company policy is that every drive gets destroyed in house, even the old ones. I've thought about changing it to save the vintage drives, but I will need to do some more thinking on that one.

I don't personally do a whole lot with ebay (got tired of the "it's always the seller's fault" mentality), but the company that does all of my refurbishing is starting to move in the direction of listing more of the vintage stuff. I've sent down 10 or so vintage units to see what they can do with them.

I just got a brief slide show made with pictures of all of the desktops/laptops I've got at the moment.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fgefwKefNjRNSS0fypQiutpckM2ybhgpnVs5wQuAt-o/edit?usp=sharing

Update on things:

We were getting a few semi-vintage units here and there, but yesterday we just got in a full truckload of vintage equipment (most notably an apple IIgs). Other things that came in from the load:

-3-5x dell optiplex GXI's (they've effectively been stripped, but if anyone is looking to use the horizontal case let me know)
-1x dell optiplex (unit with the pentium pro processor). The board is still in it, but the power supply is missing
-A pile of apple 5.25 floppy drives and other 5.25 floppy drives
-an IBM personal computer (missing the power supply and top cover :(
-5-6x parted out desktops (all containing AT power supplies).
-a few other oddball items

Pictures of what came in will be posted on the power point sometime today. If you see anything you like, let me know!

Please don't destroy vintage MFM hard drives!! Save the 5.25" full and half height units.

They may not be able to due to contracts and data privacy standards. I remember finding an old Mac that had all the medical records for a local OB-GYN. That would be a HIPPA violation now.

I know it doesn't make sense but policies are usually meant to be followed blindly to avoid compliance issues.

They may not be able to due to contracts and data privacy standards. I remember finding an old Mac that had all the medical records for a local OB-GYN. That would be a HIPPA violation now.

I know it doesn't make sense but policies are usually meant to be followed blindly to avoid compliance issues.

I get that and understand all of the various rationales involved, but let me provide some rationale for NOT destroying the old drives:

1) Defining "old" drives as those of the 70's and 80's era, aka "winchester" drives, MFM/RLL types, 5.25" or 8", etc.
2) These drives existed at a time in which personal information was not commonly stored on these types of media or systems
3) The likelihood of PII (personally identifiable information) being found on these drives is very small, as it is almost impossible to read data from an MFM without the original controller it was operated with.
4) The chances of the existing format being good are also very small
5) The drive would need to be low-level formatted fresh before re-using anyway ...

So, basically, there's an infinitely small chance of any personal data ever existing or ever being found on these older type drives There is a much greater value in saving these drives as pieces of history, IMHO playing "from the sidelines" of course.

DOD wiping should satisfy any requirements. As long is that is practiced consistently alongside certification (e.g. sampling) there is no issue whatsoever.

DOD wiping should satisfy any requirements. As long is that is practiced consistently alongside certification (e.g. sampling) there is no issue whatsoever.

Margins are slim. DOD wiping of an older MFM or RLL hard drive could take hours. That's if the machine even boots. If it doesn't they'll have to get it running again.

When you start your own scrapping service you can run it the way you want.

At every large scrapper I've talked with it's run the hard drives through the shredder and separate the scrap. No bother with paperwork or liabilities.

Fair points. Just pointing out that there is no requirement to shred HDDs but obviously DOD wiping is an option.

I get that and understand all of the various rationales involved, but let me provide some rationale for NOT destroying the old drives:

1) Defining "old" drives as those of the 70's and 80's era, aka "winchester" drives, MFM/RLL types, 5.25" or 8", etc.
2) These drives existed at a time in which personal information was not commonly stored on these types of media or systems
3) The likelihood of PII (personally identifiable information) being found on these drives is very small, as it is almost impossible to read data from an MFM without the original controller it was operated with.
4) The chances of the existing format being good are also very small
5) The drive would need to be low-level formatted fresh before re-using anyway ...

So, basically, there's an infinitely small chance of any personal data ever existing or ever being found on these older type drives There is a much greater value in saving these drives as pieces of history, IMHO playing "from the sidelines" of course.

I don't know why you say that. In the past people were far more lax with giving out personal info. A guy I went to high school with ran out of college money and enlisted in the army. He asked me to hold on to textbooks. Kept them for a long time, never heard from him again. I was perusing them one day and he had his ss# written on the inside cover of everyone of them. People today are far more unlikely to dole out personal info. The idiot cops in NJ would ask for your ss# for a long time. Why? Because, well I'll omit the scathing vitriolic explitive I want to equate them with. Ok I'll compromise and just call them intrusive bastards. Anyway I imagine personal info was far more likely to be share in the 70s and 80s as there wasn't the risks we have today. People used to do all their household finances on their C64s. Ok those were floppies, but still

I was playing around with a hard drive that came with a local ebay sale. No critical personal info to be had, damn, LOL LOL kidding. But I did get to view some photos of a nice Italian family enjoying pasta.

Certain Compaqs are worth looking at, usually the stuff made before computers became a commodity. That would include the original Portable, Portable Plus, Portable II & III as well as the Portable 386. Desirable desktops include the original Deskpro, the Deskpro 286, and the original Deskpro 386. That last would be the "Darth Vader" desktop that weighs a ton, not one of the later rounded beige things.

I would cheerfully kill for a Deskpro 386, but they're expensive. There's a 386/20 (the original was a 386/16) on eBay right now, but they're asking something like $300.

I've noticed that XT/AT style cases are almost unobtainable, unless you're willing to drop $140 for the case and another $100-$120 on shipping from California. I suppose they're all imports.

Old computer parts

Old computer parts

Hi
I am Mike
Currently I am looking for Amiga A2000 keyboard And mouse.
Those two items are the items that I really need.

Other items I’d be looking for are 486 cases computers motherboards and ISA, sound, SCSI, cards.
Sound cards, specifically sound blaster.
I know you said in your post you don’t sell hard drives, but I would be interested in some SCSI hard drives as well.

Any Amiga accessories I may be interested in also.

Mike

I run an electronics recycling company in Montana and come across a wide variety of items dropped off for recycling. Most of it’s junk (pentium 4’s and so many printers/TV’s/monitors), but occasionally I get in vintage computers and other equipment. Some weeks it’s 100 pounds and other weeks it’s 5,000+ pounds so if you’re looking for anything in particular from computer parts and keyboards to mice and other vintage things for a certain unit I’ve probably got what you’re looking for (I’m not much of a tech guy so pictures of what you’re after are extremely helpful on my end!).

Items I typically get in:

-desktops 486’s up to Pentium III’s
-floppy disks (3.5”) with various programs and such (I’m not a tech guy so I don’t know if that’s something of interest)
-a lot of old keyboards and mice for late 80’s to late 90’s model computers
-word processors from time to time and other similar items
-a bunch of stuff that I have no idea how to even begin describing

*At this point I don’t sell any hard drives from computers. I also don’t do CRT’s (tube monitors/TV’s) either so I won’t be able to supply any of those at this point.

Shipping and Other Info:

-Shipping is from Billings, MT, 59101
-I would prefer that the buyer pays the shipping on items, but that isn’t a deal breaker
-I only ship to locations in the US at this time.

Anyhow, if you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Back