Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

For sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have any Model II/12/16/6000 stuff, or hard drives left?
    -- Lee

If you get super-bored, try muh crappy Odysee channel: Old Computer Fun!

Looking For: Type 4 HDC for Tandy II/12/16/6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled, PC-era Tandy stuff, Weird Old Unix Stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals (HP and DG in particular)

Comment

All previous listed machines sold EXCEPT CRT tubes. I still have a couple of like new CRT tubes.

Next up will be hard drives and controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by danielbooneamerica View Post
        Next up will be hard drives and controllers.
        Can I preemptively call dibs on a type 4 HDC if you have one? :P
        -- Lee

If you get super-bored, try muh crappy Odysee channel: Old Computer Fun!

Looking For: Type 4 HDC for Tandy II/12/16/6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled, PC-era Tandy stuff, Weird Old Unix Stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals (HP and DG in particular)

Comment

I have been working on a newer system derived from my lifelong experiences with the TRS80. I had a desire to build a machine that would run my 24 bit OS based from my LSDOS experience.

For a number of reasons I need help with technology developing boards by CAD and fabrication. I had talked with a few members on this board and made a deal with one that he would sell my TRS80 collection, XLR8, THE SOURCE, DEC ALPA hardware, Convergent technologies, Unisys etc and this would finance costs of prototypes hardware and his compensation for helping with development. My project has reached point it is hard for one person to do everything to get this out door.

I shipped 1st shipment to start this project and that’s pretty much where it ended. It shipped an assortment of legacy hardware and where I am going with this and how its related to TRS80 is one item was, Steve Ciarcia smart spooler project published in Byte magazine. How is smart spooler connected to TRS80?

Back in day, Steve Ciarcia created a smart spooler project for his series in Byte magazine. Using Hitachi HD64180 (Z180), smart spooler was a project to not only provide a useful device (spooler) but introduce Steve’s followers to Hitachi HD64180. Steve had a huge following of hardware developers and students.

This smart spooler project covered about all areas of designing with HD64180 hardware such as serial ports, interrupts, interfacing Centronics ports etc as how to examples designing with this chip. Back in day when
          XLR8 was developed I was told by its designer, who’s name I have racked my brain to remember, that he used Steve’s smart spooler article as a fam course on this new fantastic HD64180.

This shipment that is now lost to history had one complete smart spooler in it that had been assembled. I had bought 2 back in day for our R&D dept and we used it for code testing/dev on 64180. With this one lost to history this leaves me with one that was never fully populated with chips or used. It is a great board made by micro mint as I recall. A project done by Steve himself (a man I admire) and his direct design.

I probably have original Byte mags but that will take more searching and I will probably sell all Byte mags as one collection. Probably scan articles for history archive when I find them. If you want to test, develop code and learn about HD64180 (Z180) on board that inspired TRS80 XLR8, I have your chance. Sadly as I said, one has been lost to history. I doubt many of these exist in world, if any other than this last one.

As I said this one was not populated with chips, it’s a 30 some year old development board, purchased new, unused and stored in dry dusty conditions. Some of you may have seen his article back in the day.

There is a time when you know your time is limited. Is anyone interested in purchasing this piece of my collection to preserve for history (among other things)? It inspired XLR8 which is another important historical piece. Message me or post here.

Boone…. aka Daniel Martin

PS I just looked and you should be able to use Wikipedia and find Steve’s article.

Comment

Mr. Martin, who knows, your stuff may show up when you least expect it; never give up hope.
            --
            Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Comment

So as things roll along this unit landed on my desk.

Future*System's main company drive for many years. Back in day when starting out wives told two officers if company didnt make enough to pay for it they had to sell their plasma.

It never came to that and here it is today. I did not try power of it needs disassembled, cleaned and connected to a TRS80. I have not time or a unit to test with.

Cannot find key but know I have it. I somewhere have office keys and it was on there. May not be able to mail key if I do find it bc I remember back in day some programmers used it for roaches. Replacement key should not be hard to find.

It is just as pictured, no cables.

Says 15 meg and to my knowledge its 15 meg drive.

Memories memories memories....when it comes down to it....its what you have in life.....dont make bad ones!

Ok now I just realized I dont know how post my cell phone pics here. If you dont see pics please send me directions.

Comment

Originally posted by danielbooneamerica View Post
                So as things roll along this unit landed on my desk.

Future*System's main company drive for many years. Back in day when starting out wives told two officers if company didnt make enough to pay for it they had to sell their plasma.

It never came to that and here it is today. I did not try power of it needs disassembled, cleaned and connected to a TRS80. I have not time or a unit to test with.

Cannot find key but know I have it. I somewhere have office keys and it was on there. May not be able to mail key if I do find it bc I remember back in day some programmers used it for roaches. Replacement key should not be hard to find.

It is just as pictured, no cables.

Says 15 meg and to my knowledge its 15 meg drive.

Memories memories memories....when it comes down to it....its what you have in life.....dont make bad ones!

Ok now I just realized I dont know how post my cell phone pics here. If you dont see pics please send me directions.
                Seems complicated.

Feel free to email me and I will send you pics of this 15 meg HD. I opened it and took a couple pics of inside also. I am taking offers.

More to come of different flavors, I think this my only 15 meg and this really was our company main drive for years. Future*Systems is wrote in top and glue stains where different business cards were taped to top down thru years for easy access to phone numbers.

You can reach me directly danny @ danielpaulmartin DOT com or via private message here if I can get a photo attached.

Thank you for all your patience.

Daniel Boone

Comment

I have multiple rolls of 100ft IBM bus and tag cable for mainframes here.

May not be good for a mainframe anymore but could be used for computer art etc. Pickup only $25 per roll. If not it may get rolled into some farm project.

Comment

So here is an update on what is left.......

I am having a final close out on one x 15 meg original RS, CRT's both in like new condition some needing bands applied to mount in TRS80, lots of empty cases, some keyboards, lots of 4Ps in various stages of disassembly, some RS odds and ends and books etc.

I see there is a festival in Ohio this year. I will be unable to attend but willing to meet if your traveling to Ohio near one of our interstates or towns. It must all go to good homes and we do background checks on all customers Prior convicted TRS80 abusers will disqualify you.

4Ps all have good strong CRTs and PS. Some complete with MB other not, incomplete cases and parts. Some 4p keyboards.

I just dont want to throw any of this stuff away but I cannot keep these things any longer. Medical issues dictate downsize.

Some of these tubes were in 4Ds and almost never used.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X