Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.


Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.


Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.



Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.


Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.


Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.


Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.


New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.


Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM 5150 PC, two slim 5.25 floppies, keyboard, monitor, printer, DOS 2.1 on eBay

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    IBM 5150 PC, two slim 5.25 floppies, keyboard, monitor, printer, DOS 2.1 on eBay

    I'm the original owner, now out of storage and selling at:

    http://ebay.us/EzbObC?cmpnId=5338273189

    Take a look, and offer comments.

    Thanks

    Peter

    #2
    My comment would be to compare prices to other 5150 sold on ebay, because $850 for a non-working, used 5150 with a 3rd-party monitor is insane. Look at listing 402623545489 for example. That one was working and came with the IBM 5153 color monitor - and sold for $357,50.

    Also, if you state being the original owner, you should prove that by the receipt. If you can't, just don't state it at all.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Timo W. View Post
      My comment would be to compare prices to other 5150 sold on ebay, because $850 for a non-working, used 5150 with a 3rd-party monitor is insane. Look at listing 402623545489 for example. That one was working and came with the IBM 5153 color monitor - and sold for $357,50.

      Also, if you state being the original owner, you should prove that by the receipt. If you can't, just don't state it at all.
      Thanks. I made the error of comparing asking prices, with a few (better) complete systems at $1,000 - $1,200, so was undercutting those. Reviewing sales, I see just one as high as $850 complete in recent weeks. I will adjust my price down and will, of course, consider offers.

      Do you really expect me to have a receipt from 37 years ago? You'll have to take my word for it. The point is, it has never been exposed to any adverse environment.

      Peter

      Comment


        #4
        Dream big I guess. I think it will be tough to get anything like that price for a dead machine, or even a working one.

        Comment


          #5
          I think your asking price would be a lot more realistic if you took the time to repair the power on fault. It's probably something simple like a shorted tantalum

          Comment


            #6
            Would be helpful if your listing includes pictures of the internals.
            Since you're the original owner, I'm wondering why, in a previous post, you asked "...I think is a original PC, but want to know what's inside the box". I've owned mine since new (01/82) and still know exactly how it's configured.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Andrettigto View Post
              Would be helpful if your listing includes pictures of the internals.
              Since you're the original owner, I'm wondering why, in a previous post, you asked "...I think is a original PC, but want to know what's inside the box". I've owned mine since new (01/82) and still know exactly how it's configured.
              The reality is that we have lived in this house since 1986, so the computer was moved just once while still new. When retired, it went into a 2'x2'x2.5' wooden box that some art had come in, and stayed there the next 30+ years, in a cool, dry basement. We're cleaning up now, so it's better to sell to an interested party than going to e-waste. My earlier post was before I checked dates, and now know that this is not an XT, therefore "original". I saw on some postings that there were details like the chip, RAM, etc., and would have put that in if easy to know. I'm not interested in opening it up, although I have put expansion cards and memory into other computers. I'm certainly not qualified to replace capacitors as another poster suggested. Thanks for your suggestion.

              Comment


                #8
                I've been looking for an original PC for some time now, but finding one on eBay is problematic. Sellers, like the op, look at past sales which is misleading. eBay's system is somewhat screwy when doing this. When a potential buyer sends me an email on eBay it's accompanied with a "Make Offer" button that I can use to offer the potential buyer a deal. However, when a buyer takes advantage of the offer the listing shows up as sold at the original price I was asking. I don't think this is a "glitch" but rather eBay's way of getting sellers to list their items for higher prices in hopes of making more profit. Either way it skews prices and makes sellers think they are going to get a fortune for that vintage equipment they have.

                In it's current condition I would not consider anything close to the asking price. If I were to offer what I believe is a fair price the op would more than likely take that as I'm trying to rip him/her off.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mycre View Post

                  Thanks. I made the error of comparing asking prices, with a few (better) complete systems at $1,000 - $1,200, so was undercutting those. Reviewing sales, I see just one as high as $850 complete in recent weeks. I will adjust my price down and will, of course, consider offers.

                  Peter
                  I work in estate sales, so take it from me when I say that if you want to know what something is worth on eBay, you have to look purely at sold listings, and you can't just look at the highs. Rich and impatient collectors exist in all corners of eBay, but they don't set the going rate, because they represent only one half of the spectrum. There are just as many items on eBay at a reasonable markup, or even under priced, and all this together sets the going rate

                  Obviously, there are many strategies to selling on eBay, and I understand people tend to overprice things in order to fish for someone willing to buy it outright, but a more conservative approach is to total up what you have, take the high and the low and find a median or average price. In this case, you'd be looking at the average price for a non-working IBM 5150 missing the original monitor + the average price of a Princeton HX-12 + average price of a similar dot matrix printer.

                  Even if you're not comfortable changing your list price, I suggest researching an average price for your own purposes, because in all likelihood you won't get asking price and you'll need to know what the acceptable minimum is.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by SunSpotter View Post
                    I work in estate sales, so take it from me when I say that if you want to know what something is worth on eBay, you have to look purely at sold listings, and you can't just look at the highs. Rich and impatient collectors exist in all corners of eBay, but they don't set the going rate, because they represent only one half of the spectrum. There are just as many items on eBay at a reasonable markup, or even under priced, and all this together sets the going rate

                    Obviously, there are many strategies to selling on eBay, and I understand people tend to overprice things in order to fish for someone willing to buy it outright, but a more conservative approach is to total up what you have, take the high and the low and find a median or average price. In this case, you'd be looking at the average price for a non-working IBM 5150 missing the original monitor + the average price of a Princeton HX-12 + average price of a similar dot matrix printer.

                    Even if you're not comfortable changing your list price, I suggest researching an average price for your own purposes, because in all likelihood you won't get asking price and you'll need to know what the acceptable minimum is.
                    I have followed your (and others) advice and reduced the price to $395, assigning no value to the printer and mounting base. Average recent sold prices for the computer, keyboard and monitor total $442, so this should be fair. We'll see what happens. Thanks.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      That is much more in line with current market expectations. Thank you for being receptive to community input.
                      Offering a bounty for:
                      - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
                      - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Trixter View Post
                        That is much more in line with current market expectations. Thank you for being receptive to community input.
                        Well his ebay name is "fair-seller" after all.

                        ^.^

                        That system is VERY clean. And to the people that poo-poo that monitor. I have one, and it works very well. Anecdotal experiences being what they are, anyway. I hope someone gets this setup.
                        It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I'm thinking of donating this system to Goodwill and taking a deduction. If anyone would like to come to Sausalito, CA and pick it up instead, let me know. Call Peter at (415) 699-2739.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Selling keyboard separately

                            Originally posted by mycre View Post
                            I'm thinking of donating this system to Goodwill and taking a deduction. If anyone would like to come to Sausalito, CA and pick it up instead, let me know. Call Peter at (415) 699-2739.
                            I have removed the listing from eBay, and have now listed the Model F keyboard separately at https://www.ebay.com/itm/164738873067

                            Based on feedback during this process, this will sell for close to what the entire system would get. If interested, take a look.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by mycre View Post
                              I have removed the listing from eBay, and have now listed the Model F keyboard separately at https://www.ebay.com/itm/164738873067

                              Based on feedback during this process, this will sell for close to what the entire system would get. If interested, take a look.
                              I'm not sure if the data point is useful, but I paid $135 for a Model F back in April.

                              The keyboards can go for a lot, but there can also be a lot of variability depending on how many other keyboards are on the market at the time. Supply fluctuates.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X