• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Xerox Alto cards for sale..

ehrichweiss

Hi,

About 30 years ago while I was on my way to becoming a professional programmer, I was working as a mover for a company that was moving their operations to a new location in town. While doing so I paid some compliments about an old IBM System/34 mainframe(with terminals and printer) as well as an old Xerox Alto. The company told me if I liked them and could transport them, I could have them. Well, I managed to get the Xerox but the most I ever got out of the old System/34 was the RPG I/II programming manuals and maybe a system administration manual or two. Anyway, so I took the Alto home and discovered that the screen was dead on it. I was still living with my mom at the time and she demanded that I get rid of it but before I did so I salvaged the 2 8" floppy drives, and several cards. I took the floppy with me and still have it to this day, and the cards I was just reunited with while trying to clean out my mom's place. She had saved them thinking they belonged to another computer of mine. Well, to get to the point, now I have them back in my possession and realize there's no way I need them since I never got an Alto after all these years, so I'd like to sell them to someone who could use them. They are entirely untested since I have no computer to test them with. Pics of them are below and hopefully they are clear enough for people to make out what I've got, etc. I'll take a reasonable offer for them as I have little idea what they're worth at this point. I do want to see them go to a good home though as I want to preserve as much of computer history as possible.

IMG_20210217_175103458.jpg
IMG_20210217_175058146.jpg
IMG_20210217_175000912.jpg
IMG_20210217_174949778.jpg
IMG_20210217_174939166.jpg
IMG_20210217_174927183.jpg
IMG_20210217_174921143.jpg

I took the Alto home and discovered that the screen was dead on it. I was still living with my mom at the time and she demanded that I get rid of it but before I did so I salvaged the 2 8" floppy drives, and several cards.

The boards are from a Xerox 860, not an Alto

I never did figure out how to change the title of this thread but regardless sale is pending on the cards and unless I say the sale fell through, consider it sold.

Back