• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Western Europe for sell : 2MB expension for PS/1 2011-2121

Covers: Germany, France, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Monaco and Liechtenstein

whaka

Experienced Member
Hi,

yes... they're real, again :) (4MB for the 2121 are on the road too... if all is fine!)
for the moment, i have 3 of them to sell. they are my prototype PCB, so, they have tin/lead finish for the connector.
not the best, may oxidize a bit with time (maybe in few years...) and it's more brittle to plug/unplug cycle.
but anyway, it should last long enough.

final pcb's are on the way, and have gold plated finish, and some improvements for assembling. they'll cost a bit more.
i'll update the thread once i received them, and i'll sell them " bare foot" or assembled, as you wish :)

so, for the moment, i sell them 10€ each + ship. already assembled, fully tested with checkit to be sure there's no errors.
i ship worldwide (from france) the best option is the international tracked letter : 4€ till 20 gram, then 5,50€ till 100 gram.
if you wish insurance, signed, let me know... but it will be far more expensive...

picture of actual sell :

they are for sell elswhere too.

so, here they are, again :)

Very interesting, I made a 2MB module ten years ago (totally hand-made)

2011-06-04_21-37-04_886.jpeg

I was planning to make a new design, with freely downloadable gerbers so anyone can build them. Are you planning to share yours?

Last edited:
Hi nestor :)

yes, i plan to do it.
but not for now. for the moment, i want to benefit a bit... times are a bit hard... i don't work. so, this can give me little revenues.
but promise, i'll share the love, i didn't put any copyright. :)

Do you still have these available? I'd be interested in a 4mb if you have made those.

@whaka: Greetings from Finland! I need 2MB expansion RAM for my 2011 which has only 512KB card at the moment. Do you have any of those RAM expansions for sale?

@to hamartetikon @batwings21

hello :)

i still have pcb and components to build some. and also have pcb's for 4MB extension.
i can build some very soon, i'll let you know when done.

but for the 4MB i still don't own a 2121... so i can build, but can't test.
usually it's fine, but ram chips sometimes can be defective, despite they're NOS.

i still have pcb and components to build some. and also have pcb's for 4MB extension.
i can build some very soon, i'll let you know when done.
Thanks for reply, that's so nice to hear! Yes, let me know when I can order one 2MB unit. :)

I have also read the your ACU threads and I would definitely also be interested to buy even experimental solution for xtide/cf. Is the BIOS patching hard to do?

First I will try to replace the flat Dallas chip. :)

Is the BIOS patching hard to do?
no if you already have the stuff to do it.
otherwise, you'll need an eprom programmer and two 27C010 or 27C1001
you can reuse thoses in the machine, but it mean you'll loose the original stickers, depending how you're keen on keeping things original or not :)

and ok, i'll let you know.
i think i can build one for you today, i have some spare time :)

ah yes, you need 10 posts to be able to send/receive PM.
and yes, paypal is fine :)

Thanks so much Whaka! I got your email and sent the payment while ago.

By the way, any idea if it's the flat Dallas that causes my Model 2011 to always boot to ROM instead of HDD? In HDD there's good bootable files (DOS 6.22 installation that worked fine 25 years ago) at the C root, but the computer boots only to IBM DOS v4 from ROM.

yes, because without good battery, he can't remember where to boot from.
so back to default, and it's the rom.

for changing boot order, you also need a program called configur.exe (or customiz.exe) i don't remember exactly which one allow boot modification.
maybe it'll do the trick as long you don't power off :)

Ah yes! I have both configur.exe and customiz.exe in floppy, but cannot use the floppy before I get the replacement Dallas chip.
Sadly configur.exe or customiz.exe are not included in the ROM.

Anyway, working Dallas chip will then solve this problem too. :)

Replacement Dallas arrived a couple of weeks ago and I installed it without problems.
Floppy started working and I could run CONFIGUR.EXE and CUSTOMIZ.EXE to change the boot order. :)

(i just noticed that this message was forgotten as draft state unsent for a two weeks, so i just sent it now, with minor edit)

And finally, after a while of adventuring in Finland's mail office's unknown ways, the 2MB RAM expansion that Whaka made arrived last week!

I swapped the original 512KB RAM expansion to the new 2MB expansion, and it works perfectly. It is amazing that I have been wishing this RAM upgrade 30 years and never thought I will find a solution, and finally succeeded to do the upgrade.

Now my Model 2011 is in very good shape! Only IDE solution is still missing to get more than 30MB mass memory.

I was surprised that MEMMAKER.EXE does not work on 286 as I have memories that I have been using it with this Model 2011, but I realize that I have been remembering my times with the generic 486 PC that I got after the PS/1 2011.

Internet got many guides for optimizing DOS memory for different situations so MEMMAKER is not necessary. I still remember that using MEMMAKER was fun and easy way to get started with optimizing.

Thanks so much Whaka! The quality of the expansion is very good!

1644135730291.png

Last edited:
Whaka, I love how you even made the holes for the original blue plastic levers! The levers fitted very well and function as they did with the original.

I also love the "Make PS/1 great again" text on the card. :D

New 2MB expansion on the left, original 512KB expansion on the right.

1644136350408.png

ohhh, perfect, i was not absolutely sure if holes were really where they should be.
but i picked the placement (and the global design) from the same original 512K module you have, but mine lack levers. but so... no real reason for them to be misplaced.
thanks for the feedback :)

Back