• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

***INTEL ISA Video Card*** [RARE] VGA + EGA - 8-Bit

aaronkatrini

For sale this rarity, an 8-Bit ISA Video Card from no other than Intel, the 82706! Great for someone who wants an Intel only build (CPU+GPU). I've received this specimen described as pulled from a working computer, however I couldn't get an image, hence sold AS IS. Here are some photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BPCXWgQ77AX3zuDmfGWqhgEfs0x0MHQe?usp=sharing

Asking price is: 250 euro (or near offer) + shipping

The card is currently in Rome, Italy but willing to ship worldwide.
Shipping quotes:
- Europe with tracking and insurance is 25 euro
- USA & Canada with tracking and insurance is 40 euro.
- Other regions please ask.
Payment: PayPal (Friends&Family - or - add fee)

1.jpg

And OSC1, U15 and U22 have been removed from the board (note the open vias). I doubt that it's functional.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that €250 is a bit optimistic. :)

But he put "[RARE]" in the title! Clearly that gives the value a 100x multiplier. I mean, if you want that much money for an item, at least clean it.

Thank you all for the observations. I don't think is polite to make a comment about the price.
It is my card and that is the price I'm willing to let it go for now.

@Trixter, Yes the chipset is from Intel. Just like many modern cards are made from ASUS, MSI ecc; if the chipset is from Nvidia, then I'd call it an Nvidia card. :)

@Chuck(G), I don't think anything is missing from the board, just unpopulated. Unfortunately I cannot find photos of this card anywhere else on the internet to make comparison.

@luckybob, well... it is Rare, have you seen something like it?

@Chuck(G), I don't think anything is missing from the board, just unpopulated. Unfortunately I cannot find photos of this card anywhere else on the internet to make comparison.

I disagree--I believe that U22 (28 pin) is intended for the required DAC, which is not provided by the 82706. You can see the DAC at U25 on the Hercules card here. VGA is analog and requires an analog output from the controller, which the 82706 does not supply directly. So I stand by my assertion that this card has had parts removed.

Well, first of all, I want to thank you for obtaining and offering a piece of vintage tech for sale. Some of this sort of stuff IS getting a little hard to come by.

Please understand that the word "rare" is very overused on eBay and some other places. Enough so that the word has become almost meaningless to those that frequent eBay. Additionally, when listed in a place or specific category for vintage gear, the word is often redundant.

When I look at that item, all I see is a rather generic VGA/EGA combo card. Most VGA cards that have EGA were rather early in the life of VGA, and likely do not support extended VGA resolutions, and are usually not very fast. These come up quite commonly on eBay. This specific model? Perhaps not, but OEM manufacturers made many variants, although I would assume they all do roughly the same thing.

If I were interested in this card (which, sorry, I am not), I would want to know more technical details about this specific model, such as supported resolutions, total memory, if it could handle RGB monitors, does it work on an 8088 (an 8-bit ISA connector does not guarantee that) that sort of thing. What would this card do for me that others do not?

For a video card, ideally one should list both the brand and the chipset. Buyers might search for one or the other. Annoyingly the brand or card model is often not written on expansion cards. The brand can sometimes be important for finding correct driver software or utilities.

I'm hesitant to comment on the price, since I don't really know the euro, or what the market is like in your area. It sounds like you might have a very good reputation elsewhere, where people may be happy to pay more for your service. But with only 3 posts, that is not true of this site. Please understand that there have been some issues with scammers recently.

Of course, the entire "tested, no video" strongly suggests that it may not actually work, or not work properly in other systems. That would normally badly hurt any sale price. Although, selling "as-is" seems to be almost a requirement these days.

I can't really tell if there is damage or removed components. To me it looks like the vias may just not have been filled in. A higher resolution photo might clear that up. Note that this forum can store JPGs up to 250k Size it with a photo editor first, otherwise the forum may automatically shrink the image.

Just glancing at eBay I see a 16-bit EGA/VGA card listed for $59.99+SH, and a couple others that are just a bit more. Looking at actual sales, another 16-bit EGA/VGA sold at bid for $8.50+$10SH, and another for $20+$8SH. It seems like most sell for about $20-$40. I do see an 8-bit model that sold for $50. You have lots of competition. So, if I wanted something like that I would just wait for a better deal to come along.

Also, if it is not obvious by now, be aware that this forum is filled with critics, cheapskates, and people who browse eBay more than they should. :) Expect to get comments and criticism.

A bit more. Here's another Juko card using the Intel VGA chip, this one with a printer port (supported by the UM82C11 40-pin DIP):

video600.jpg

See the AV3676? That's the DAC.

I'm very dissapointed to see many of you who are also members of Amibay acting like this!
Trixter, luckybob, I recognize both of you and you both must've seen my posts on Amibay

I am not the same "Trickster" that frequents Amibay.

I called you out on writing it was an "Intel" video card because Intel never made 8-bit ISA video cards. It is a Juko video card that uses an Intel chipset.

There are many differences between VCFED forums and Amibay, but the biggest difference you're learning about today is that some of us are very technical and we are not cool with statements that are intentionally ambiguous or misleading. Another difference is that we are more practical, and -- rare or not -- a non-functional dirty card with missing components is not going to find a buyer here at a 250-euro price. We like to use our equipment, not mount it on the wall or place it on a shelf.

There are many differences between VCFED forums and Amibay, but the biggest difference you're learning about today is that some of us are very technical and we are not cool with statements that are intentionally ambiguous or misleading. Another difference is that we are more practical, and -- rare or not -- a non-functional dirty card with missing components is not going to find a buyer here at a 250-euro price. We like to use our equipment, not mount it on the wall or place it on a shelf.

I am certainly not always practical and I happen to like hanging things on walls, but not necessarily placing it on a shelf. Although, I might get daring and try a shelf some day, but for now I'll be practical and just hang it on a wall. If it's a fully functioning circuit board and I deem it artistically worthy I might even stick in a display cabinet on a shelf made of glass, but definitely not wood. Plastic shelves are completely out of the question though.

I'm very dissapointed to see many of you who are also members of Amibay acting like this!
Trixter, luckybob, I recognize both of you and you both must've seen my posts on Amibay, where I post a lot of stuff for trade, and what I sell, I like that my prices have been very competitive and way below of what ebay is asking. When I list something I know what I'm selling. I don't understand this kind of behavior!

@tipc, I think you misunderstood me with someone else, I don't know what crowd you're part, but I'd expect a 10-year old kid to talk like that!

Just to give you an idea, I sold a mint, working 8-bit VGA card (Paradise PVGA1A/256K DRAM) about two years ago for $40. Admittedly, mine did not have EGA like yours. Recent times have shown vintage hardware going for absurd prices. An example would be many Amiga systems going into the high hundreds and now thousands of dollars regardless of condition for the most part. Considering I bought a fully functioning near mint Amiga 2000 on Ebay for $50 just three years ago some people in other forums I frequent have stated they feel the pandemic has led to this. The thinking goes new blood is getting in on the vintage hardware action because of a nostalgic itch that needs to be scratched while they are stuck in lockdowns and have more time to reflect. Just a theory of course, but I have noticed over the last year, during this pandemic, prices have skyrocketed. So if you do get that price, good for you, but I personally would be very flexible on the price.

Some 8bit dual cards are more expensive than average price. Good example is ATI VIP (when I was looking for it, then sold items were up to ~120€). But ATI is a bit different world (almost any ATI ISA is valuable).
So I suggest not compare directly to `similar` cards. Sometimes `similar` makes a significant difference :)

Last edited:
Some 8bit dual cards are more expensive than average price. Good example is ATI VIP
Yes, very good example of something that looks similar but has much more value. Looking that up, the ATI VIP is somewhat visually similar to the OP's card. But the ATI cards usually have much more functionality and compatiblity, are therefore quite desirable and may sell for more.

It is quite possible that the OP may have seen one of these sell for a pile of money and incorrectly assumed that something that looks similar might be worth as much or more. (although, once in a RARE while, that might be the case).

Half the battle of selling something is knowing what you have.

Just BTW, I have a suspicion, if the OP really did test that card and could not get any video output (and it is not physically damaged but we can't really see from the photo), it is quite possible that was not configured for VGA output, but they did not know how to configure it.

My recollection is that the Intel VGA chip was as popular as ringworm because its performance was terrible. The competition had much better product.

Trixter, luckybob, I recognize both of you and you both must've seen my posts on Amibay, where I post a lot of stuff for trade, and what I sell, I like that my prices have been very competitive and way below of what ebay is asking. When I list something I know what I'm selling. I don't understand this kind of behavior!

@tipc, I think you misunderstood me with someone else, I don't know what crowd you're part, but I'd expect a 10-year old kid to talk like that!

I honestly can't remember the last time I logged into that site... So I doubt i've "seen your posts".

sorry to disappoint.

I had to clean up this post, as hilarous as some of the response were (and I did chuckle at more than a few) they were unrelated to this post.

Back