Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Intertec Superbrain I QD for sale (UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intertec Superbrain I QD for sale (UK)

Hi

I have here a Superbrain (original version) with QD spec floppies. 64K RAM, runs CP/M. This machine is fitted with a uIDE with boot ROM, this is a sold state hard disk system designed by me and documented in full here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/UIDE...Z-80_computers

It is all fully working and the uIDE is loaded with CP/M software (some of which may need configuring for the Superbrain's display).

The case is in good condition and the machine itself is refurbished. PSU recapped, and there is an auxiliary MeanWell 12v PSU for the floppy motors (which have the MOTOR_ON modification so they do not spin constantly). The reason for the extra PSU is well documented in the Superletter magazine - the Intertec PSU is a bit weak, and so adding another unit helps it last. Of course, it is still supplying 12v to the Superbrain's mainboard.

I will supply it with various Intertec boot disks (it boots from floppy as well as uIDE) and a uIDE utility disk.

I'm looking for at least 450. That's not bad when you consider the uIDE with ROM board, ROM and bus cable costs 80.

Let me just remind you that this one is fully working. That in itself is rare!

Collection only, from West Sussex (UK).

Cheers
    JonB

Any takers so far Jon?

Comment

Alas, no. As you may have surmised, I'm having a bit of a clear out but I'm loth to pay eBay's exorbitant fees. I will keep the SB II of course, even though it has the less pretty case. Tell you what - I sold a Sorcerer with (non working) floppy drive for 400 the other day, that was a bit of a result. As I've retired I think it's time to downsize; plus I have another toy that needs to be funded (it's a Lotus Elise) and I try to ensure I balance expenditure with income (from selling stuff - I don't earn otherwise). At the moment I am 400 in the red... so the first tranche of machines comprises the Superbrain, Memotech MTX 512, TRS-80 Model 4, TRS-80 Model 4P and a 4032 PET running in 80 column mode. All refurbished, all excellent condition.

Maybe I am asking too much for them?

Comment

Presumably you'd get a better price on eBay - but yes, the fees. The SB gets little interest on VCFED in terms of post numbers etc, just a few of us engaged in our investigations and discussions. Unfortunately there are few alternatives to eBay that have the same reach. Hope you get a buyer, cant be me - I have a working one and my wife would be most unimpressed! Wouldn't mind an Intetec Intertube II for my S100 box however - hens teeth though.

Comment

You could always use a VT52 terminal emulator under CP/M...

Comment

Given Jon is so close to me, It has taken an incredible amount of constraint for me to not pop down and buy the lot.
            I'm also trying to thin down my collection so I'm selling rather than buying.

Ebay now seem to want to own the entire selling process by allowing sellers to avoid PayPal. I no longer seem to be getting the 'sell for 1' offers, otherwise I'd have a load of stuff for sale right now.

Comment

Come on mate you know you want it!

Regarding eBay, they do have offers from time to time as you know. I have listed a QL on there with their current offer: "sell three for free" which means no listing or final value fees. I have a Memotech MTX 512 and a PET 4032 with 80 column upgrade going up next, and that will be my 3 items... Ther are other machines I want to sell, including TRS80 Model 4 and 4P, Sharp MZ80A, Amiga 1200 (boxed) and some console machines - BBC Model B (with disks), Oric Atmos, Dragon 32, Amstrad 6128, Tatung Einstien (twin drive with Tatung monitor, 80 column card, Tatung printer) and a rather rare Amstrad PCW16 and "unrare" PCW. That's before I get to the Sun Ultra 10 Workstation... Corel Netwinder, TI 99/4A (times 2), 520 ST (original model with external drive / PSU). I guess I am having a proper clearout!

Comment

Originally posted by JonB View Post
                You could always use a VT52 terminal emulator under CP/M...
                You mean use my Superbrain as a terminal? I had thought about that - I guess I'm trying for the period correct thing though. The IMS 8000 had a Televideo terminal originally. They look kinda cool too.

Comment

Did you manage to sell it ? I now have a (non working) Superbrain junior for sale on Ebay too.
                  Alan8086 and Witchy have both turned me down as takers so far but I'm hoping to work on that

Comment

Nah but I’m not bovvered. Got loads of other cr@p to punt before that.

Why aren’t we trying to fix your Jr? And did you read the other advert “Probably the only Superbrain for sale in the world” ha ha what a dick. 1200 too, LOL…

Comment

Part of the reason I put my SB up for sale was because I wanted to draw attention away from that other one for sale on Ebay at the crazy price!
                      I actually have two of them both with duff power supplies so I'll have a crack at the other one when I get time (Ha!)
                      Happy for someone to take the other off my hands with a decent offer.

Comment

I have to say, the PSUs are pretty easy to fix…

Comment

Working...
                        X