• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

PowerMac available

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
Just picked up a 7200/90 that I don't need (I'm not a Mac man). I have no monitor, kbd, etc, so no way of thoroughly checking it out. I plugged it in and none of the magik smoke came out, so that's prolly A Good Thing. Upon power-up it makes the Mac sound (built-in speakers?), and then you hear the hard drive (500 Mb, Quantum, SCSI of course) activity, as if it were booting normally. The CD tray functions normally too (unknown speed). I opened 'er up and gave it an eyeballin' and everything seems to be intact. There are two 168-pin DIMMs in it, one says 16Mb, and the other is not marked, so I have no idea what the total memory is. There are also two more (empty) DIMM sockets, and 4 other memory sockets marked VRAM, which are empty as well. There are three empty PCI slots on the M.B., and the usual array of ports on the back of the box. (I don't see any USB jack, but there is one that I think is firewire). The ports are marked only with completely unintelligible icons, so I'm just guessing at thier function.

If interested, make me an offer (all or parts, if you want to save on postage, I could part it out). Cash is fine, but I really like swaps too. If it's done properly, everyone comes away happy from a good ol' swap.

--T

Thanx for the heads-up, carlsson, I'm pretty sure I can ID all the jacks now.

ADB port for keyboard and mouse
DIN-8 GeoPorts on back of computer
DB-25 SCSI connector on back of computer
AAUI and 10Base-T ethernet connectors on back of computer

The one I thought might be fire-wire is most likely the AAUI network connector, since it has the same symbol as the RJ-45 ethernet connector. Looks kinda like this: <...>. It isn't the "normal" 15-pin D-shell connector that I usually associate with the AAUI port, must be an Apple thing. I recognize the ADB connector (and it's symbol) from the older Macs that I have seen before. It's a small, round, mini-DIN connector like the PC's PS/2 connector, but with a different pin-out. The serial ports (called GeoPorts above) are also mini-DIN, 8-pin connectors, which I also recognize. I think the mystery is pretty much solved. TNX again for the link.

--T

Actually, I just dug around in my trusty ol' toolbox and came up with an old Mac-VGA monitor adaptor (I thought I had one in there somewhere). I hooked the Mac up to a VGA monitor via the adaptor, plugged 'er in and she booted right up. Of course, I still have no kbd or mouse, so further testing was not possible. If someone here is interested in taking this off my hands, I'll even throw in the VGA adaptor at no extra cost. (Hmmmmn, I wonder if I could jack it into my network and access it remotely from a peecee???).

--T

Yes, I remember now about the Mac AAUI. We had a Power Macintosh 6100 (~60 MHz PPC601) at the computer club, and it had the same kind of connector which required an adapter to connect to RJ45 Ethernet.

That particular model even required a special display adapter to connect to a Macintosh monitor - an attempt to be future compatible, something Apple reverted back to normal with the next model released, which makes the computer even more odd and the adapter harder to find.

Oh well, that particular unit was donated away last year, so it is not for sale or trade anyway.

Yes, I used to have a 6100-series (6116, IIRC) and it had that weird video adaptor. I gave that computer to a friend who is an Apple collector, but who didn't have any PPC machines at that point, so he was quite pleased to recieve one. (I have seen the video adaptors sell on eBay for $20.00+).

--T

Update:
The Mac 7200 is no longer available. I didn't sell it, just bought a keyboard & mouse and set it up for one of the kids. She can be a MacBrat, instead of a peecee punk, I guess. (Her software-of-choice runs on either system).

--T

Back