• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: NEC V20 CPU - D70108H or D70108HCZ

WimWalther

Experienced Member
I'm in need of a NEC V20 CPU, type D70108H / HCZ. This is the CMOS version of the chip. Please LMK if you have a spare. Thanks!

The V20 (D70108) has always been CMOS, as far as I know. At least that's why my databooks proclaim. It was Intel who stuck with NMOS/HMOS longer than the competition. So any V20 should do just fine, unless you have a need for a high clock speed rating. There are plenty on eBay.

Not the cheapest but I bought 1 from this guy in December and have been using it almost daily since then.
My fear with ebBay is always getting rebaged or completely fake parts as I did with my V30 later so I appreciate when someone gives a link to a 'known good' seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383373147908

Hey guys,

I specifically need the 'H' version of the chip, it's for the V20-MBC project. Here's what the designer says about it:

"An easy to build homemade single board computer with a V20HL aka uPD70108H (...) or 80C88"

And in more detail..

"Please remember that a CMOS full static CPU is required here, so the only V20 CPU that can be used is the V20HL (uPD7108H, see the “H” at the end of the part code that makes the difference…).
Only this CMOS full static version allows to use a clock rate from DC and, under some conditions, guaranties that the logic levels are compatible with the Atmega32A ones (the Atmega logic input levels are not TTL compliant)"

FYI - The design uses an Atmega32 as the IO subsystem, BIOS and as a replacement for the normally required glue logic ICs that populate most legacy designs.

Here's a link to the project if you're interested: https://just-for-fun.org/v20-mbc

Hey guys,

I specifically need the 'H' version of the chip, it's for the V20-MBC project. Here's what the designer says about it:

"An easy to build homemade single board computer with a V20HL aka uPD70108H (...) or 80C88"

Okay, got it "H" parts do allow operation down to DC. CH also. Most folks use the V20 as a drop-in for the 8088; it doesn't matter in that case.

There's a HK seller for one 16MHz HCZ[

Also one in California Here

Last edited:
Okay, got it "H" parts do allow operation down to DC. CH also. Most folks use the V20 as a drop-in for the 8088; it doesn't matter in that case.

Also one in California Here
​​​​​​
Careful - I've come across that listing as well. The auction title indicates an 'H' series part, but the chip isn't so marked. It's marked as a regular D70108C.

I might contact him about the discrepancy.

Sometimes the sellers are just lazy and use photos that they already have on hand. I've definitely run into listings that say "the thing pictured isn't what you'll be getting.".

Sometimes the sellers are just lazy and use photos that they already have on hand. I've definitely run into listings that say "the thing pictured isn't what you'll be getting.".

I did message him, let's see what he has to say.

UPDATE: And here's what he said..

"HI

Sorry about that we have put wrong picture. But we will ship D70108HCZ-16, as we order against title description, not the picture.

Regards,

Raymond"

So there you have it, wrong photo. Thing is, you can never really tell in these cases - did they insert the wrong photo, or the wrong description? In any case, I always contact them first.

Last edited:
Back