• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED: Altos Computers and Peripherals

cchhrriiss11

Experienced Member
Hi Everyone,

I've started collecting ALTOS computers for my Vintage Business System's Museum that I'm building here in Duncan, BC (Canada).

Anyone have any ALTOS computers that they'd like to sell? I'm also looking for peripherals such as the Altos Terminals, External Hard Drives (expansion), External Tape Drives as well as software and manuals.

I've currently got a 580, 586, 686, 886 and 986. Ideally I'd like to get at least one of each model in the whole product line to showcase in the upcoming museum.

Each computer would be lovingly restored to "like new" condition, starting with a complete external and internal cleaning, full-recap, fresh O/S install, etc.

It's my goal to have these all connected to a serial terminal server (Digi or similar) for people to play with over the internet (similar idea to what the now seemingly defunct Living Computer Museum was doing in Seattle, WA).

Let me know what you've got -- I'm not afraid to make a fair offer and pay for shipping.

Regards,

Chris

Living Computer Museum seemingly defunct? From my understanding it is just temporarily closed due to the pandemic. I travel all over the country and that museum is one of the best imho so I would be surprised if it was closed for good. Regardless, good luck on your quest. You live in one of the most beautiful areas of North America. I just wish Canada would stop stripping the island of all its ancient trees.

Surprised that you don't have an ACS-8000. 15 years ago, you couldn't give the darned things away, with their upside-down Shugart disk drives. When one landed on my doorstep, gratis, I was a bit miffed that I would have to find a home for it. I did--I don't remember who was the recipient. The alternative was scrapping it by turning it into the local e-recycler, whose people would tear anything to bits.

Living Computer Museum seemingly defunct? From my understanding it is just temporarily closed due to the pandemic. I travel all over the country and that museum is one of the best imho so I would be surprised if it was closed for good. Regardless, good luck on your quest. You live in one of the most beautiful areas of North America. I just wish Canada would stop stripping the island of all its ancient trees.

Yes, with regards to the LCM, take a look at the following discussion thread, it seems that the future isn’t bright for its future, perhaps someone with more direct knowledge may be able to comment?

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23769184

it’s a real shame really, I never got a chance to visit it. I’d certainly be curious if any of the equipment needs to be “re-homed”. As mentioned in the thread, there’s a few other large vintage computing museums in the US that I’m sure would hopefully step up to the plate.

Back