• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Need help getting PC from Gatineau/Ottawa to Hamilton or Winnipeg

mukelarvin

My dream vintage PC has appeared on Kijiji in Gatineau but the seller doesn't want to ship it for fear of it getting ruined. It is a full CRT and desktop so I understand his hesitance. If I could get it all to Hamilton or Toronto, I have a friend who could bring it to Winnipeg for me. Is there anyone on here who lives in Ottawa/Gatineau, who might be travelling to the Toronto area in the next couple of months? Or maybe someone in the area who has experience packing and shipping monitors safely? I realize this is kind of a long shot.

When I run into these types of situations I look up couriers in the area where the item is and have them pick it up. I then have them deliver it to a shipping store. I instruct the shipper to double box everything with foam peanuts between the two boxes. Also, everything entombed in bubble wrap. If I want it bad enough I pay for the extra services and materials. Just a suggestion if this is super important to you.

Last edited:
When I run into these types of situations I look up couriers in the area where the item is and have them pick it up. I then have them deliver it to a shipping store.
But what if the item gets damaged on its way to the shipping store !

I instruct the shipper to double box everything with foam peanuts between the two boxes.
Low wage worker at shipping company: "Not a problem. One layer of foam peanuts it is then."

Also, everything entombed in bubble wrap.
Low wage worker at shipping company: "'Entombed'='wrapped'. Not a problem. One layer of small-bubble bubble wrap it is then. Hmm. To be on the safe side, maybe two layers."

Hey look man, it has worked for me in the past. It was just a suggestion. If you feel uncomfortable with it, then don't do it. News flash, this just in: There is risk with most things in life.

I've never had issues shipping CRTs face down with tripled up cardboard taped to the face to prevent dings and impacts, then wrapping the thing in a dozen or so layers of bubble wrap and double boxing it. The low center of gravity with big black "THIS SIDE UP" arrows pointing to the top of the box generally keeps it from getting thrown around because all of the weight is on the bottom of the box.

Hey look man, it has worked for me in the past. It was just a suggestion. If you feel uncomfortable with it, then don't do it. News flash, this just in: There is risk with most things in life.
My post was not critising you for not considering some low probability possibilities, merely highlighting that they exist, and if the criticality is high enough, warrants such consideration.

That's cool. The way I was reading it sounded dismissive. Sometimes there are no other options. I will make a point that I babysit the process so my specifications are met as best as possible. I try to be very clear on how I want everything done with both the courier and the shipper. Luckily, it’s very rare I have to go to these extremes to obtain an item. This is why it’s also good to have international friends through forums like this. Helping each other out with sellers that wont ship internationally is another challenge.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys! I’ll investigate some couriers in the area, but with reasonable expectations of failure.

Back