• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED... New sealed Pentium II CPU at 350, 400, or 450MHz

computerdude92

Veteran Member
Any Slot 1 Pentium II CPU, as long as it's a 100MHz bus model. Must be factory sealed.

I live in Alaska and I don't have much vintage gear to trade anymore, so please name your price.

Any Slot 1 Pentium II CPU, as long as it's a 100MHz bus model. Must be factory sealed.

I live in Alaska and I don't have much vintage gear to trade anymore, so please name your price.

Hey, would you believe I just picked up a sealed 450 yesterday? I might sell it, send me a PM

So you want to unseal a collector's item just because of ESD? Unlike a used and tested one, there's no garantee that a still-sealed one even works.

Slot 1 CPUs with the original SECC housing are almost impossible to damage by ESD, as you can not touch the contacts.

Also, CPUs are the most reliable part of a computer. I never had a single CPU failing in any PC, no matter if modern or retro. If anything, people kill these on purpose by overclocking.

I've seen gaps on the connector side on slot CPUs.

Someone also told me ESD can even be caused by touching the pins or goldfingers on any PC part.

Also, I'm the kind of collector that actually uses any stuff I find that's new and sealed, rather than let it collect dust. Some say life is short...

Last edited:
ESD damage is not visible. Any part you use could have ESD damage. So yes, life is short. Don't waste time with such thinking.

If you worry about the lifetime of the CPU, just buy two or three. Loose ones aren't that expensive. But again, anything else will fail before the CPU does. Mainboards are most prone to just stop working.

Also, no offence, but this:
Someone also told me ESD can even be caused by touching the pins or goldfingers on any PC part.
means you have no idea about ESD yourself and just rely on what "someone" told you. That also means you don't know how to prevent ESD, you most likely have no ESD-safe work area, and thus you will probably cause ESD damage by building your retro PC anyway.

I've seen microscope pictures of ESD damage on PCB circuit traces online.

Thank you for your advice, but I still prefer sealed CPUs.

I think that there's an unsaid motivation and I have no idea what it is. I've got a box of slot I CPUs, and none has ever failed. The OP could simply ask a forum member to check out a CPU, drop it in an antistatic bag and ship it. A factory-sealed package is no guarantee of function.

To evade any ESD risk, and so it lasts longer than a used one - if it was stored properly.

Yeah this is complete nonsense, no idea where you got the notion that NoS parts are any more reliable than ones which have been stored loose on a shelf or in a drawer, or even used for that matter. I've had CPUs, RAM, cards, etc. stored in plastic drawers for decades and they still work fine.

If you want a new in box 25 year old processor, be prepared to pay collectors item pricing, or several times what the thing originally cost.

No offense, but talks about ESD views seem as head to head as talking about politics or religion. Lets get back on topic please.

I am still open to any other new sealed Pentium II's to keep as spares.

I've now changed my mind about buying these PII CPUs, but thank you very much everyone for looking for them for me.

An old Saturday Night Live sketch by Gilda Radner. She played a woman who'd rant about a topic until she discovered that she'd misunderstood. Her trademark catch phrase was "Never mind". You can find YT vids of some of these sketches.

Back