Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Wanted: Digital LK421-AA (DEC's UNIX keyboard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kgober
    replied
    They are just names of different models of keyswitches. Keyboards like the Drop CTRL allow you to swap out the keyswitches with different types, based on your preferences. The problem then becomes, how do you choose? It's not like you can go to your local keyswitch store and try them all out. So for the benefit of anyone who is building a USB mechanical keyboard that wants to replicate the feel of an LK401 I tested the ones I happen to have to see which ones felt similar.

Naturally if you are going the Unicomp route you won't need to worry about any of this.

Leave a comment:

• hackerb9
    replied
    Originally posted by kgober View Post
    If you go the Unicomp route, they do sell replacement keycap sets for exactly this purpose, although you will probably need to do the scan code swap in the Arduino because I don't know if Unicomp lets you modify the firmware.
    Unicomp, Inc.: Alternative Ctrl-Caps Lock Buckling Spring Keys (pckeyboard.com)
    Thanks for the link! It looks like Unicomp's Mini M isn't reprogrammable, unlike their Model F keyboards. Fortunately, the swap should be easy in the Arduino. The styling isn't as pretty as Drop, but I think it would match the VT340 better. Especially since I'll probably end up repainting the cases, la ModRadio:

modradio.png

Originally posted by kgober View Post
    If you care about the feel of the keys, the Model M has a clicky feel (and sound) *very* different from DEC keyboards. I don't happen to have an LK421, but I did have an LK401 handy and the keyswitches on my LK401 are mushy and silent, with a slight tactile bump at the top of the key movement (like a rubber dome keyboard). I tested a bunch of different Cherry MX and MX-clone keyswitches and the ones I have that feel most similar to the LK401 are Cherry MX Clear, Cherry Tactile Gray, Zealios 78g, and Kailh Box Royal.
    "Clicky" versus "mushy", I get. When I hear “Zealios 78g” orKailh Box Royale”... I don't know if we're talking high-end perfumes or expensive cigars, but I know I'm in over my head.

Thank you for all the helpful information and sorry I'm not at the level where I can completely appreciate it.
    Last edited by hackerb9; August 30, 2021, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kgober
    replied
    Yes, updating the firmware would allow you to change the scan code generated by each key, and yes, getting another Ctrl keycap of the appropriate size would be needed if it bothers you to have your Ctrl key physically labeled "CapsLock" on the keycap.

If you go the Unicomp route, they do sell replacement keycap sets for exactly this purpose, although you will probably need to do the scan code swap in the Arduino because I don't know if Unicomp lets you modify the firmware.
    Unicomp, Inc.: Alternative Ctrl-Caps Lock Buckling Spring Keys (pckeyboard.com)

Keep in mind that Unicomp keycaps are different from and not compatible with the Cherry MX style so you shouldn't expect to be able to mix and match replacement Unicomp keycaps onto a keyboard using Cherry MX keyswitches.

If you care about the feel of the keys, the Model M has a clicky feel (and sound) *very* different from DEC keyboards. I don't happen to have an LK421, but I did have an LK401 handy and the keyswitches on my LK401 are mushy and silent, with a slight tactile bump at the top of the key movement (like a rubber dome keyboard). I tested a bunch of different Cherry MX and MX-clone keyswitches and the ones I have that feel most similar to the LK401 are Cherry MX Clear, Cherry Tactile Gray, Zealios 78g, and Kailh Box Royal.

Leave a comment:

• hackerb9
    replied
    Thanks for the super informative help! I had not known about "TKL" or "QMK".

And that "Drop ENTR" keyboard looks very close to perfect! So, I would just need to flash the firmware to get rid of capslock and then buy a control key that would fit in its place? The kit you linked to with the red buttons has everything I'd need?

I've also found something called the "Mini Model M" by Unicomp that looks like a good contender if I can't find an LK421-AA.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• kgober
    replied
    A USB keyboard meeting your needs shouldn't be hard to find. Google for "TKL keyboard", TKL standing for Ten Key Less, i.e. having no number pad. There are also keyboards without the cursor keys, these are generally referred to as "60%". If the Ctrl key isn't already where you want it, then look for a model with customizable firmware. The QMK firmware is very popular and with it, changing the keyboard layout is just a matter of generating a new firmware image and reflashing the keyboard. If you change the layout this way, you may need replacement keycaps if, for example, the CapsLock and Ctrl keycaps are different sizes. If you get a keyboard using something popular like Cherry MX keyswitches then finding replacement keycaps that fit the MX stems won't be difficult.

I have a Drop CTRL keyboard (https://drop.com/buy/drop-ctrl-high-...nical-keyboard) that lacks the number pad but has the arrow keys, using the 'standard' layout. I do have a replacement keycap set that includes a larger Ctrl keycap that will fit the space where Caps Lock is, but it doesn't have a smaller Caps Lock key. I'm sure there are keycap sets out there that will have both.

If you aren't interested in the fancy RGB lighting, there is also the Drop ENTR keyboard: https://drop.com/buy/drop-entr-mechanical-keyboard.

While searching I found this keycap set that you might find interesting: https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3...tom-keycap-set
    These keys don't have translucent legends allowing individual keyswitch lighting to shine through, but this set does include Ctrl keys in a variety of widths as well as a number of other interesting terminal keys (more IBM-ish than UNIX-ish, alas).

Leave a comment:

• hackerb9
    started a topic Wanted: Digital LK421-AA (DEC's UNIX keyboard)

Wanted: Digital LK421-AA (DEC's UNIX keyboard)

Hiya! Does anyone have or know where I can find an LK421-AA?

Alternately, can anyone point me to a USB or PS/2 keyboard that is laid out in a similar fashion? I can make an adapter using an Arduino so it'll work in my VT340. Unfortunately, it's been hard for me to find any keyboard that is right. The LK421-AA has the control key directly to the left of the letter A, and one-story Return key. It's also cute and small because it omits the application keypad. The "Happy Hacking" keyboard is the closest I've found, but I don't think I'd be very happy with the Backspace key being in a different location.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
Working...
X