• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Buy/Trade: Apple IIgs ‘ROM 3’ motherboard

gsteemso

Experienced Member
Hello all,

I have been “blessed” (?) with not one but two working ‘ROM 0’ IIgses. (Yup, that’s right, whoever owned them never bothered upgrading them to ROM 1.) I would dearly love to get my hands on a ROM 3 motherboard to swap into one of them (I know a guy who did this and he says it works great). As I only have one set of peripherals and thus only need the one machine, I’d be happy to swap any or all of the following to get such a beast:

- The ROM 0 motherboard I’d be replacing
- The ROM 0 motherboard, or the whole CPU unit containing it, of the extra IIgs (does not include a RAM card)
- Apple ADB keyboard and/or mouse (not original IIgs peripherals, I never got those) to go with the above “headless unit”

Yes, you could be the proud owner of a ROM 0 unit for your collection _with_ a spare motherboard in case the first one dies. Shipping and/or cash-in-lieu are negotiable.

Any takers?

Well, I believe I still have a spare ROM3. Let me check what ROM my spare IIgs is, I'll get back to you in the next couple days. It's a complete box, though; not just the mobo. Just to let you know, there are a couple games that will *NOT* play on a ROM3, but WILL on a ROM0.

Well, mine is a complete CPU unit, too; I just thought it would be silly to spend $$$$ to ship several pounds of identical IIgs case each way in exchange for each other. The ROM 0 board should work just fine in your case. What would be the benefit of swapping our two lumps of plastic and aluminum? Even the sturdiest cardboard carrier to ship the boards in would have to be lighter than mailing the whole thing. Haven't yet investigated antistatic bags of suitable size, but they can't be THAT expensive.

Also, thanks for the warning, but I am not too worried about software compatability -- I haven't got any and was planning to write my own.

Back