• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for an IBM EduQuest System.

DOS lives on!!

Veteran Member
I'm looking for an Eduquest system. They look like a PS/2 Model 25. I'd like it to be either at or below 100 dollars, but I'll look at any offer.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for,
zoom_s_p_34448_1.jpg.ashx

Last edited:
I'm looking for an Eduquest system. They look like a PS/2 Model 25. I'd like it to be either at or below 100 dollars, but I'll look at any offer.

Here's what one looks like,
zoom_s_p_34448_1.jpg.ashx

Level? There are from 386SLC models to 486DX4-100. IBM spelled out the model numbers in this line, ¨Thirty¨ to ¨Fifty-Five¨ (William has it a little wrong, and leaves off a model):

http://walshcomptech.com/ps2/eduquest.htm

We might be able to deal on a ¨Forty¨...

remembers using these in my schools lybrary as a kid sept they had the cartige cd drives

The picture does show the CD drive that uses the ¨caddy¨. ¨CD-ROM II¨ or something like that, as IBM called them. You can switch in a (usually SCSI) non-caddy drive, and there were EduQuests that came without them, didn´t have the sound system, or NIC (a special Token Ring or Ethernet adapter).

I think all models had DOS in ROM (with drivers that could run the CD drive) too...

Ah, EduQuests!

If you do stumble upon one please take detailed, decent resolution photos (if a decent camera is available) and place them somewhere accessible online...these computers are some of the harder ones to find images of (particularly with any level of detail, for example how they come apart etc)

If I didn't have a Model 25 I'd be hunting for one of these (and indeed my original hunt was for a 25 'or' EduQuest, was not too concerned about which).

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've an Eduquest as well, not sure of the specific type, but it's a 486SX-25 or 33. It came with the caddy CD-ROM, sound, and NIC. The hard drive was also in good shape, and outside of the specific networking information from the school it was located at, hasn't had anything else installed/changed from factory.

It has both SCSI and IDE on-board, which I thought was really cool, and the front audio panel was a nice touch. One of these days, I'll get around to photographing and documenting my systems (this is definitely one that needs documenting, as there is very little out there outside of William's site)

As for how they come apart it's two screws on the back side (not under-side), then the motherboard tray just pulls out. Be careful when pulling this out, however. You'll need to disconnect the audio panel header and the video header in order to pull the tray out all the way.

... As for how they come apart it's two screws on the back side (not under-side), then the motherboard tray just pulls out. Be careful when pulling this out, however. You'll need to disconnect the audio panel header and the video header in order to pull the tray out all the way.
This statement messed me up a bit. I was trying to open up the Eduquest 55 I have and removed the 2 screws you mentioned but, try as I might, could not slide the tray out. I finally noticed that there's a third screw on mine, just under a recess so it was somewhat difficult to see. :D

I've an Eduquest as well, not sure of the specific type, but it's a 486SX-25 or 33. It came with the caddy CD-ROM, sound, and NIC. The hard drive was also in good shape, and outside of the specific networking information from the school it was located at, hasn't had anything else installed/changed from factory.

It has both SCSI and IDE on-board, which I thought was really cool, and the front audio panel was a nice touch. One of these days, I'll get around to photographing and documenting my systems (this is definitely one that needs documenting, as there is very little out there outside of William's site)

As for how they come apart it's two screws on the back side (not under-side), then the motherboard tray just pulls out. Be careful when pulling this out, however. You'll need to disconnect the audio panel header and the video header in order to pull the tray out all the way.

Interesting...seems like they leaned in the direction of the PS/55-series 5530 rather than the Model 25, in some regards.

And DIN for serial? That seems un-IBM-like. Cool.

Interesting...seems like they leaned in the direction of the PS/55-series 5530 rather than the Model 25, in some regards.

And DIN for serial? That seems un-IBM-like. Cool.

A microchannel "All-In-One" would be nifty (I guess there are "portable", "laptop", and "notebook" MCA, but they don't have a CRT). More innovative systems were released for the Japanese markets rather than here. My "SCSILEVL" page has 80188-based adapters I worked with "Sandy" (actually a male) to document, not available in Western markets at the time.

Hey! I just sent you a message about the EduQuest45. I have one that's been living peacefully in my dining room for several years now, and am looking to sell it to someone who will appreciate it for all of its awesome retro goodness. It runs perfectly and has a Floppy Drive as well as a disk drive, and looks identical to that photo!

I've just inherited an EduQuest Fifty-Five (486SX-50) and it has a built-in RJ45 network adapter but I've tried every single crynwr packet driver tonight and nothing can init the board. Anyone know what kind of network board is this and what packet driver it uses?

I've just inherited an EduQuest Fifty-Five (486SX-50) and it has a built-in RJ45 network adapter but I've tried every single crynwr packet driver tonight and nothing can init the board. Anyone know what kind of network board is this and what packet driver it uses?
Just saw this... I'll have to check. I think that my 45 has the same drive, and works perfectly. That said, I have software for a 55. Unless I'm getting my numbers mixed up again :) Will check and let you know...

Do you have a picture of the NIC that's in it? If it's an OEM IBM one, similar to the one in mine is, then the VPEther package should work.

It's got a DLINK chip on it, and I think I've verified a few weeks ago that the VPETHER package was the right one. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a packet driver, and when I try to use the card anyway, nothing happens and on the next reboot I get an error that suggests the card is malfunctioning. I'm probably going to give up on it and install a card with much wider support.

Just saw this... I'll have to check. I think that my 45 has the same drive, and works perfectly. That said, I have software for a 55. Unless I'm getting my numbers mixed up again :) Will check and let you know...
Verified... I've the "School Box" for the Eduquest Fifty-five which has the software drivers for Win/DOS/OS2 Video, Win/DOS Audio, LAN, IDE CD Drivers, and Diagnostics for Type 96XX.

I'll image these up and post, hopefully today sometime. Will respond back in-thread with a link.

Very nice! Thanks a bunch.

Trixter said:
...and on the next reboot I get an error that suggests the card is malfunctioning.
I assume you're getting the same error as this one and the computer makes an "unhappy" beep after the POST? Simple solution is to leave the ethernet cable unplugged until after it passes the POST.
Code:
Error code............10635
 Network adapter error,
 Have the system unit serviced.

Click. (Temporarily...) note, uses Windows Long File Names. Why? Because my brain's fried atm and I didn't want to have to think 8.3 and text description files. Besides, I normally store my items on a Windows system anyways. Sacrilege, I know :)

Eventually, I'll get around to scanning the manual that came with (it's about 150 pages), and maybe even editing them into my site. And getting more than just PDFs of books on there. Eventually.

Trixter, hopefully this will include the LAN drivers that you need. If not...well, at least you'll have the original disk set that went with your Fifty-five :)

Just checked and it does not have a packet driver, just a .INF file. Possibly DLink had a packet driver that IBM did not include with the bundle. There's also the generic NE2000 packet driver to try.

Back