Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

HIMEMV2 or equivillent PROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update,
    Although it works, it's not without glitches. First durring a cold boot, USE!UMBS,SYS loads (umb memory handler) and the display shows;

PARITY CHECK 1
    ?????
    A0000

It then start loading drivers and such to upper memory and all works fine. However if I do a warm boot(CNTRL+ALT+DEL) then the PARITY CHECK 1 doesn't come 'till after drivers and tsr's are loaded and the system hangs and will only recover after power down. Also, at this point the display shows;

PARITY CHECK 1
    ?????

Note, the A0000 is not displayed as it was durring the cold boot. I figured that was pointing to the begining of EGA RAM, so I swapped out the EGA Wonder with a spare EGA Wonder and got the same results. So I tried the original IBM CGA Adapter, same thing. Next I relpaced all the PARITY RAM chips, still same results so I systematicaly replaced each RAM chip on the MOBO(those of you familliar with the insides of the 5155 know what a pain that was). So now I'm thinking it must be a timing issue or something. I wonder if there is a way to keep the system from doing the parity check on that portion of RAM.

Greg

P.S. The problem only shows up if I make a change to CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT to change whats being loaded high.
    So maybe the problem is that UMB is not being purged or re-initiated durring the "Three Finger Solute".
    If I do a CNTRL+ALT+DEL without making changes, it reboots without the parity check coming up and all runs fine.
    Last edited by ibmapc; December 5, 2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

My guess is that the POST routines don't write memory above 640K (why would they?). So, when the next read (after a cold boot) happens, you get a parity error.

You could disable parity checking or have a dummy driver that writes the upper 128K before it aborts.
      Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
        My guess is that the POST routines don't write memory above 640K (why would they?). So, when the next read (after a cold boot) happens, you get a parity error.

You could disable parity checking or have a dummy driver that writes the upper 128K before it aborts.
        Is there a way to disable parity checking in dos, or would the BIOS need to be modified? I can't find anything in the limited DOS documentation that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by ibmapc View Post
          Is there a way to disable parity checking in dos, or would the BIOS need to be modified? I can't find anything in the limited DOS documentation that I have.
          The easy way is to write a bit of code to mask NMI. See here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
            The easy way is to write a bit of code to mask NMI. See here.
            I'm still lost. Would this be done with DEBUG? I haven't a clue where to start. Anyone want to help me. Or, at least point me to a tutorial that will help me learn how to do it?

Comment

Immediately after PC power on, the contents of RAM is somewhat random. Certainly, in a good percentage of RAM addresses, the contents of the PARITY bit chip is not going to reflect the parity of the contents of RAM chips bits 0 to 7. That is why one of the things that the POST does on power up (after setting up refresh, and before enabling the NMI) is to write to all RAM addresses that are parity checked. The act of writing to each address will set the correct value into the PARITY chip.

RAM in early video cards is not parity checked, and so I agree with Chuck in that the POST is probably not doing its 'initialise parity bit' routine past the 640K mark.

And so at computer power on, after the POST, your block of RAM has a quantity of addresses where the PARITY bit is incorrect. For some of those 'parity chip contents incorrect' addresses, whatever you are loading into the RAM will perform a write to the address. No issue there, and in the act of writing, the PARITY bit gets initialised to a correct value. But in some cases, 'parity chip contents incorrect' addresses will be read before they are written. For each of those, a parity error will be generated.

A warm boot is not going to change the situation much.

As Chuck alluded to, before you access your block of RAM, some code needs to run that writes to every address in your RAM block. I'm confident that that is a fix.

Disabling the NMI will work too, but has at least a couple of disadvantages:
              1. If a RAM chip later becomes intermittent, you're not going to be alerted to the fact (via a PARITY error message).
              2. Can't use an 8087 (it uses the NMI).

Whichever path you choose (write all RAM, or disable NMI), it has to be done before any code reads a 'yet to be written to' address in your RAM block. And so, as Chuck suggested, a dummy driver (that writes to all your RAM block, or disables NMI) loaded early in CONFIG.SYS should be the answer.

Comment

Look, the guy who wrote the UMB software that you're using did a commendable job--it's well documented and the source code is included with the driver.

But I have a quibble with him requiring you to patch the addresses of your UMB areas into the driver. Far better would have been to parse it from the DEVICE= line, put them into the table, then write/test them (the way that some versions of HIMEM.SYS do).

I could probably do it in an afternoon--it's not difficult code, but I've already put in a couple of afternoons on a project that I have no use for.

If you can't recruit someone on the list with simple assembly experience, that should tell you a lot about the members of this forum (and probably a ton of others).

You might also work on learning x86 assembly yourself. There's no shortage of information out there.

Comment

the following code will write to the entire D000xxx segment. The program you will need should include all of the extra segments of RAM above the 640K limit in your system.

Code:
                  ; Write to RAM segment
                  mov es,D000h ; Set target Segment address
                  xor ax,ax    ; Clear ax, will be the word written to RAM.
                  mov di,ax    ; Start at offset 0000h in target segment
                  mov cx,8000h ; Number of Words to write, 8000h = 32KW = 64KB
                  rep stosw

; Terminate program
                  ret
                  Last edited by per; December 7, 2011, 10:46 AM.
                  Current systems owned by me:
                  Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
                  Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Comment

Per, the test has to be made before the first driver loads high. So it's got to be in a device driver.

Comment

you can run program files from config.sys, at least in later versions of DOS (unless I'm slightly mistaken).
                      Current systems owned by me:
                      Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
                      Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Comment

Originally posted by per View Post
                        you can run program files from config.sys, at least in later versions of DOS (unless I'm slightly mistaken).
                        Yes, but they're run after device drivers have been processed, in the same way that SET statements are processed in the CONFIG.SYS file.

If I get a few minutes this afternoon, I'll make the driver mods, rather than waste time gumming the subject to death.

Comment

I found some time to throw together CLEARMEM.SYS (attached).

Invocation is easy, just put it in your CONFIG.SYS file ahead of the USE!UMBS.SYS command. It takes two arguments, both in hex. The first is the starting segment address of an area to be zeroed; the second is the hex number of paragraphs to clear. CLEARMEM releases its memory after it clears, so it doesn't occupy any space permanently.

So, to clear the range between D000:0 and E000:FFFF, use the following statement in CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=CLEARMEM.SYS D000 2000

In other words, clear 8192 (decimal) paragraphs, or 128K starting at segment D000.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That did it!!
                            Now boots everythime without the Parity Check. Thanks again Chuck.
                            And by the way, you are right, of coarse,I do need to learn assemly. I guess I've felt that it was beyond my mental abillities. Maybe you could recomend a good book? Something like Assembly X86 for old Dummies?

Best regards,

Greg

PS Boy o Boy, this 5155 is a real Hot Rod now!

Comment

Reading books about machine architectures can induce coma in many people. And I'm the wrong one to recommend a tutorial--the best thing to do is to ask someone who's just learning about the subject.

That being said, take a look at this tutorial that you can run on your 5155. I think it's pretty cool.

Comment

I hauled out one of my XT clones and looked at the motherboard. It appears to be a Turbo 640, or a close relative, with an ERSO BIOS.

One thing that caught my eye was a socketed 16-pin IC just to the right (looking from the rear) of the BIOS sockets, near the edge of the PCB. It turned out to be a 82S129 PROM, which is the Signetics equivalent of the 24S10 PROM on the 5160. I suspect, but haven't verified, that the HIMEMV2 mod will work as-is on this board.

Here's my question to the XT clone community at large.

If you have a XT clone motherboard with 4 x 9 chip RAM organization that accepts 256Kb DRAMs in at least the first two ranks, do you also have a socketed 16-pin bipolar ROM on your board?

Since the ERSO design was the reference design for most Taiwanese XT clones, I suspect the answer will be "yes". There are later designs where the last two ranks of RAM are replaced with 4464-type chips, but they're easily recognizable, as they don't have the "block" of 36 chips arrangement.

Comment

Working...
                                X