• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: John Bell Engineering Boards/Documentation

glitch

Veteran Member
I'm looking for documentation and devices made by John Bell Engineering. In particular, I'd like to find a 6502 CPU module, the EPROM programmer and a solid-state switch or two, though I'll likely be interested in other devices as well. Devices need not be in working condition.

Any documentation will be scanned and made available online.

I have to ask, why?

I've got a couple of the CPU boards (80-153 and 82-300) but I still have this silly notion that I might actually use them some day; not much to 'em though.

Documentation consists of a hand drawn schematic, a page of assembly instructions, and photocopies of relevant Rockwell data sheets ;-)

Also a 12 page 'catalog'...

I have to ask, why?

Eh, it's an old 6502 SBC to play with a little. I could whip most of it up point-to-point in a couple of hours, but the boards seem to be well-designed (I've got one of the 6522 boards for the Apple II). Some of the Blacksburg Group 6502-related books used John Bell products in the examples, so I think it'd be neat to have some of the boards to go with the books -- both of which actually get used.

Well, like I said I'm not quite ready to part with the boards yet but if I can find a scanner somewhere among this junk I could scan the schematics, such as they are. These two boards are really bare bones, 6502/6532/EPROM and 6502/6522/'LS10/2x2114/EPROM.

2.JPG1.JPG

Last edited:
That seems to be common with early 6502 designs. The OSI 400 board does the same. Of course, the more "critical" ACIA timing is provided by a 555 timer with a pot!

I finally found one of the 6502 SBCs with documentation -- the 80-153. I scanned the documentation (all three pages) and made them available here:

http://filedump.glitchwrks.com/manuals/john_bell/6502micro.pdf

It is indeed every bit as simple as it looks. This would be very easy to duplicate if someone wanted to just wire-wrap their own and doesn't specifically want the John Bell board. More to come as I test it out. Still looking for other John Bell stuff mentioned above!

Sorry, looks like I dropped the ball on this one; glad you found one elsewhere. There was a revision, connecting phi2 to pin 11 of the 'LS10, "to improve memory response".

That's the deluxe version BTW; the 82-300 is only 3 chips ;-)
(CPU, EPROM & RIOT)

We really must get together and compare what, if anything, still remains on our respective want/offer lists...

Meanwhile, Happy New Year!!

That would be the one I purchased! A little bit more than I think it's really worth, but I've been looking for one for a while, and it's not really /that/ much for something that's going to get used in a project anyway.

That would be the one I purchased! A little bit more than I think it's really worth, but I've been looking for one for a while, and it's not really /that/ much for something that's going to get used in a project anyway.
Sorry 'bout that; you should have reminded me, woulda been cheaper (and included the 6502 ;-) )

Oh well, at least now I know what to price mine at... ;-)

Slim

Slim

I have the doc's for SLIM, which was the 6502 monitor program for the 6502 PCB. Did you ever find the schematics for the 6502PCB? I cant get the links in this thread to work.

Jeff
p h y s i c i s t at cox.net

May I ask if anyone has come across a copy of the John Bell 82-300 document with schematic on-line, please? I'm interested in the 26 pin connector signals.

TIA... Happy Holidays & Cheerful regards, Mike

May I ask if anyone has come across a copy of the John Bell 82-300 document with schematic on-line, please? I'm interested in the 26 pin connector signals.

TIA... Happy Holidays & Cheerful regards, Mike
Got your PM today and yes, I have the schematic, such as it is; just have to dust off a scanner.

m

Doc sent privately; too big to attach.

Enjoy!

m

Hi Mike. Just wanted to say thank you very much, Sir. I'm re-drawing the schematic and I'd be happy to post it when I'm finished, if anyone is interested.

Cheerful regards, Mike, K8LH (Michigan, USA)

Just came across some John Bell Engineering documents.

Solid State Switch - 2 pages
A to D and D to A converter - 6 pages

The last includes how to interface with an Apple 2 Parallel I/O Board for Speech.

I have photographed them all and can send them or post them for download if any interest.

Peter

Back