• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Dallas DS1216E ROM Clock: Group buy?

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
This device lets you add a clock/calendar to a machine that doesn't have one already, and it does not take up a slot. It works by slipping underneath a 32KB ROM chip and it is generally transparent to the rest of the system. It is perfect for machines like the PCjr, PC and XT and it can easily be used in non-PC architectures. (It just needs a ROM socket to hide in.)

The details are here: http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/DS1216E.html

I just gave my last one away to a good home. But wow, they are expensive - $28! I was thinking of getting two or three more to keep on hand and I noticed that the rate for larger order (25) is a wee bit less - $22. (This is from DigiKey)

I don't think we can get them cheaply elsewhere. Is anybody interested in getting a few? If there are enough of us we can get the price break.

Mike

I'd like to get one for an IBM Model 25, it would save me the cost of finding an 8bit network card to hook the system up to the network for NTP synchronization. $28 is cheaper than an 8-bit AUI network card plus adapter and definitely way cheaper than any 8-bit network card with RJ45 that I've been able to find.

Unfortunately I really only need a single one though.

$28 is cheaper than an 8-bit AUI network card plus adapter and definitely way cheaper than any 8-bit network card with RJ45 that I've been able to find.

Does it have to be an 8 bit card? If not, I think a 3Com 3C509B card would work in that machine. And there are a lot of those cards for sale on ebay for next to nothing (if you don't already own one). OTOH, that ROM clock is probably worth the money too. Personally, I'd go for both. :D

This seller has them for $11.95 "or best offer" + $4.00 shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/251088223540

They're in Hong Kong, though, so take that into consideration...

Also I don't know if the DS1216C is any different than the DS1216E. The PCjr article doesn't mention it.

....Also I don't know if the DS1216C is any different than the DS1216E. The PCjr article doesn't mention it.

It needs to be a DS1216E to work in a PCjr or an XT. The DS1216C plugs into a RAM socket instead of a ROM socket. Also, the ones sold on EPAY are usually NOS. They may be unused but have been sitting around for years. You really need to know the date code if you buy one from EBAY. They can be bought brand new from MAXIM for the same exact price as DigiKey. I think DigiKey must be reselling them for Maxim.

Does it have to be an 8 bit card? If not, I think a 3Com 3C509B card would work in that machine. And there are a lot of those cards for sale on ebay for next to nothing (if you don't already own one). OTOH, that ROM clock is probably worth the money too. Personally, I'd go for both. :D

Probably, the Model 25 only has 8-bit ISA slots. I know some 16-bit ISA cards can work in 8-bit slots, but not sure if ethernet is among those types.

Netgear made a EA201 that as a 8/16 bit ethernet card, Intel and others did as well, but I'm drawing a blank on the models. I'm sure someone out there has a list handy ?
patscc

Whenever I need one (once every ~18 months), I just fill out their form for an engineering sample. Samples are free (they even pay shipping IIRC).

Yes, this is unscrupulous. Your internal ethics meter may need threshold adjustments in order to take advantage of this method.

Probably, the Model 25 only has 8-bit ISA slots. I know some 16-bit ISA cards can work in 8-bit slots, but not sure if ethernet is among those types.

The 3C509B is known to work in 8 bit slots. Just make sure it's the B-variant. And that it will physically fit in the computer of course.

Back