• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Columbus, OH-Not finding recycling center which allows purchasing old PCs.

luvit

Experienced Member
I'm visiting Columbus and I'm failing to find a recycling center which allows people to view computers that were dropped-off and purchase.
Any Columbus people have an answer?

I'm visiting Columbus and I'm failing to find a recycling center which allows people to view computers that were dropped-off and purchase.
Any Columbus people have an answer?

Sadly you have to be rather sneaky and manipulative.

If you have to ask, they will always tell you no.

Good news is that way here, way I got around was to drop off a system, pay to recycle it and then say I had a proprietary system that required a specific monitor, I asked if they had seen any of them come through, said no but I could wait around and see if anyone brought one in on dropoff day, I ended up getting a TRS 80 and some other goodies after I convinced them it couldn't store any electronic information.

Which is why there needs to be more awareness of what is vintage, so it can be liberated BEFORE it gets to the "recyclers".

yeah, i guess i see a lot of posts here that say "stop by your local recycling center" or "look what i got from the recycling center"
so i though they liked reselling stuff cause it made more money than tearing them apart.
great tip from rmay635703

I'd really love to know of anyone who has real success with "recyclers", and how they manage that.

But software doesn't even ever make it that far since there is no gold to melt out...

The local recycler used to sell reasonably intact items including computers and other electronics. Then the planning of the recycling agency changed and all materials had to be sent away. The only way to change the pattern is to convince legislators that reusing older computers is better for the environment than bulk stripping.

It's occasionally worked for me--put a wanted ad on your local Freecycle list for what you'd like. Sometimes people come through, particularly if you offer to retrieve the data off their own hard disk...

I had a similar situation with my local transfer station. One of the workers told me they used to take anything they wanted from the electronics recycling bin. He told me it was amazing what they found on the hard drives. The town got concerned about this and they no longer took stuff from the recycling bin.

I have delved into the recycling bin a few times, grabbed a few parts. I would make it clear that I would leave hard drives behind. I have no sympathy for people who do not wipe their drives prior to disposing their old machines. When those computers get to China, what will happen to their precious data then?

Back