• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: Assembled XT-IDE ($ or trade)

Anonymous Freak

Veteran Member
Finally getting a 5150, I'd like some easy-to-interface-with-modern-media storage for it. But I suck at surface-mount soldering, and I'm too impatient to deal with soldering anyway. :D

Anyone have an assembled XT-IDE they want to part with? (Or be willing to do the assembly for me and charge a reasonable rate?)

Cash or trade, I've got plenty of old gear I'm starting to clear out. Lots of ISA cards, 50-pin SCSI and old IDE drives, old Mac gear of just about any type (need an Apple Adjustable Keyboard? PowerBook Duo mini or micro/floppy dock? PowerBook 100, 520, and 5300 parts and pieces? A "the battery exploded all over it" Macintosh IIsi logic board?)

I'm happy to help with assembly! I was about to place an order for an XT-IDE PCB so we could combine shipping to save a little there. Drop me a PM and we can discuss the details. :)

Heather

I've got plenty of boards, kits, and assembled units on hand. These are the N8VEM derivative XT-IDE rev 3 boards:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?52343-Anyone-Selling-XT-IDE-Cards

Kit + Board:

fBOIs80.jpg

Assembled boards after washing, before bracket installation:

O4zLJ3j.jpg

I charge $85 for the assembled unit, $28 for a parts kit + board, bare board is $8. I don't think it needs to be said, but it's 100% open source and I don't mind at all if someone else wants to assemble them and sell assembled boards at their own rate :)

That's a great price for a kit. Do your boards support Slot 8 on the 5160? I've already got XT-IDE Rev. 2 boards but I would like to get one that works with Slot 8. :)

Heather

You can dead-bug Slot 8 support on, I put a pad on the board for it, and I've been planning on a little daughterboard to add it on, but the card is a very close fit in Slot 8 with a cable, and won't fit at all with a CF card or industrial Flash module. If I'd made the card longer to support Slot 8, it wouldn't have fit in Slot 8 at all, so that didn't seem worthwhile!

If you're actually wanting Slot 8 support with this board (you're I think the first person to actually want it) I will get a daughterboard made up this week. If you don't want a daughterboard or to dead-bug it on, the Lo-Tech board has Slot 8 support. IIRC you've got to tack some surface mount stuff down on the back for that. I don't know if it's disable-able once it's populated.

... the card is a very close fit in Slot 8 with a cable, and won't fit at all with a CF card or industrial Flash module.
There is more room for the cable if a straight header is used instead of the right angle one in the kit. probably could stick a DOM on there to since there would not be another card on the right side if it's in slot 8.

Last edited:
How many components are needed to dead bug this? If it can be done neatly and be on there solid, I may want to try your board.

Heather

I believe it's just a NOR gate, the way I've got it laid out. I was planning on working up a little single-sided SMT board and selling it prepopulated and ready to mount, so you'd just glue or double-sided tape it on and make a few jumper wire connections.

There is more room for the cable if a straight header is used instead of the right angle one in the kit. probably could stick a DOM on there to since there would not be another card on the right side if it's in slot 8.

That's true -- I hadn't thought about mounting the DOM on a straight header, since that would (normally) interfere with the card next to it.

Thanks for the additional information! I think I'm going to go with the lo-tech board because it already has the locations for the Slot 8 components on the PCB. I haven't heard anything from the OP so I suppose he should contact you to buy one of your completed devices. :)

Thanks again!

Heather

You can dead-bug Slot 8 support on, I put a pad on the board for it, and I've been planning on a little daughterboard to add it on,
I would be very interested in slot 8 compatibility for one of my XTIDE rev 3 boards. Either "Dead Bug" or daughter board. I would be willing to add the dead bug if you could design it and tell me what parts to order and how to connect them. Of course, the Daughter Board would be preferred. Would it be possible to put a pair of holes in it to line up with the keystone bracket so that it could be mounted there with long screws and spacers?

I seem to post this often, but why bother when the Lotech 8bit IDE board already has this functionality and many other benefits.

To me, it doesn't really matter, I consider the lo-tech to be an XT-IDE card, since it uses the XT-IDE BIOS. In fact, the lo-tech are the only ones I can find for sale "commercially", and they go for over $100 US. Right now I'm leaning toward taking glitch up on his(her?) offer. Happy to support the designer/assembler of a board directly!

To me, it doesn't really matter, I consider the lo-tech to be an XT-IDE card, since it uses the XT-IDE BIOS. In fact, the lo-tech are the only ones I can find for sale "commercially", and they go for over $100 US.

I need to get some sort of storefront set up. I'm trying to decide between eBay, Tindie, and rolling my own.

Right now I'm leaning toward taking glitch up on his(her?) offer. Happy to support the designer/assembler of a board directly!

His :) And thanks for the support! Don't forget, there are more contributors than just me -- the original designers, plus anyone who offered suggestions over in the dev thread. Glad to keep an open source effort going!

I would be very interested in slot 8 compatibility for one of my XTIDE rev 3 boards. Either "Dead Bug" or daughter board. I would be willing to add the dead bug if you could design it and tell me what parts to order and how to connect them. Of course, the Daughter Board would be preferred. Would it be possible to put a pair of holes in it to line up with the keystone bracket so that it could be mounted there with long screws and spacers?

It's not big enough to warrant mounting holes, I was thinking of a little board that would get superglued down with flying leads connected to the appropriate test points. If I get some free time this afternoon/evening, I'll go ahead and lay out the daughterboard.

FYI, I could've rearranged everything and squeezed Slot 8 support on the current board size, with through-hole parts, but IMO it would've made it a little too crowded for what I'd like. I think the current wide-open layout with obround pads makes the board especially easy for beginner hardware hackers to solder up.

Last edited:
I seem to post this often, but why bother when the Lotech 8bit IDE board already has this functionality and many other benefits.
I am aware of the Lotech boards. I chose the GlitchWorks XTIDE rev 3 board because it offers more Rom Bios address options and IO Port options.

How about one mounting hole? I'd prefer not to glue it.

I'm considering a tab mounting where you'd tack it down to three points on the back of the EEPROM socket, so there'd be no glue and it would be easy to remove if you ever wanted to. I'll start a new thread on it when I've got something actually laid out!

Understood. These things take time. Wonderful work so far. BTW, mine works perfectly with XUB up to r588 with "Chuck MOD" (They're up to r591) but anything newer than r588 and it fails to id the DOM or any drive connected including spinning hdd. I wonder if the later revs are leaving the older designs behind, focusing on James' designs. I have hi-jacked this tread far enough now. Prolly should start a new one or tack on to another more appropriate thread?!

Last edited:
Back