• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: IBM PS/2 Model 80

compaqportableplus

Veteran Member
I’m creating a new thread about this because I am now only interested in a complete system. So please ignore my other thread. Fixing the one I have is just not worth it (to me). I have recently acquired a working PS/2 model 60 (even the floppy drive works!) so I’ve been able to test some of the parts from the model 80 on it and I’m just finding more and more dead parts in that system.

So the models I am interested in are: 8580-111, 8580-311 (one of my personal favorites, love those giant Maxtor 300MB ESDI hdd’s!) 8580-121, 8580-321, 8580-A21, 8580-A31.

Don’t care if it’s tested or not as long as the price is reasonable. I also don’t care if it’s missing the hard drive or the expansion cards. But it needs to at least have the motherboard and floppy drive in place.

Edit: I know these things are heavy, but I will happily pay shipping costs!

Last edited:
I suppose he might might be willing to ship it, but who knows. Obviously he’d have to take less for it too. I’d happily pay the shipping costs though.

I don’t think you really have any recourse on Craigslist, do you? If you payed him and he never sends it, is there anything you could really do?

Edit: Not trying to sound paranoid, but everyone I have tried to deal with (so far) on these PS/2 Model 80’s (motherboards or systems) has been basically.... well..... an idiot. Ignoring offers/messages, taking auctions down early. I just don’t want to get burned.

Last edited:
Well. I am literally 5.7 miles from that listing. If you want to work something out let me know. I can get it and then ship it.

https://goo.gl/maps/XcZ5x2bZHdq

Be warned. He has had that listing up for YEARS. I think at least 2 now. Hopefully he has softened up on the price. I know he has unsuccessfully tried to part it out and sell it on ebay. I know they didn't sell, it had the 1mb memory boards. I'd likely be able to get him into the $100 range. Shipping is going to be a BITCH. I shipped a clone from florida to denver and it still clocked in at $90. The model 80 weighs in at a MINIMUM of 50lbs. Even going light on the packaging, expect a 26x12x24 ish box. drop that into the usps calculator from 80233 and you can finger it out for yourself.

If your still interested, shoot me a PM. I'll do it at cost for anyone here on the condition I get to play with it for a day or two.

*edit* I dont get notifications for some reason, so be patient if i'm not super quick to respond.

So far since 2011 I have bought many items in good faith on Craigslist (systems / CRTs included) and never had an issue. Use regular PayPal and you have recourse.

Well. I am literally 5.7 miles from that listing. If you want to work something out let me know. I can get it and then ship it.

https://goo.gl/maps/XcZ5x2bZHdq

Be warned. He has had that listing up for YEARS. I think at least 2 now. Hopefully he has softened up on the price. I know he has unsuccessfully tried to part it out and sell it on ebay. I know they didn't sell, it had the 1mb memory boards. I'd likely be able to get him into the $100 range. Shipping is going to be a BITCH. I shipped a clone from florida to denver and it still clocked in at $90. The model 80 weighs in at a MINIMUM of 50lbs. Even going light on the packaging, expect a 26x12x24 ish box. drop that into the usps calculator from 80233 and you can finger it out for yourself.

If your still interested, shoot me a PM. I'll do it at cost for anyone here on the condition I get to play with it for a day or two.

*edit* I dont get notifications for some reason, so be patient if i'm not super quick to respond.

I really appreciate that luckybob! Looking closer I realized that it was an 8580-071 (16MHz) Model which is not exactly what I’m looking for, so I think I’ll hold of on it for now.

its actually a 111. look at the pictures. (Craigslist)

Ah yeah, I see now. Again, thank you very much for offering to ship that to me! But I actually found a working on eBay! Took me a while to see this because it never notified me of the reply for some reason. Seems like my notifications have been hit or miss lately.

Finally!

Finally!

Alright folks, I finally managed to get another one of these damned things! And it works! Got it for $66! Guess Model 80's aren't such valuable gold mines after all huh? (I knew that all along though)

First thing I did when it arrived was completely stripped it to clean out all of the disintegrated foam. (The foam block that was in the empty hard drive compartment is what really caused a huge mess)

So here is what all this machine came with:

The original IBM 110MB ESDI Fixed Disk (with original controller).

2X 2MB Model 80 memory boards.

2X 32-bit memory expansions. For some reason they had only four SIMMs spread out across two boards, so I put all four SIMMs on one card and that works fine, leaving me with one extra 32-bit MCA slot and 12MB of memory! One of these memory expansions actually turned out to be defective (the SIMMs themselves are fine though). When I put the SIMMs into the that memory expansion it fails the RAM test (haven't investigated the issue yet). So it's good I only needed one!

And here are the things I have installed:

External floppy interface (for the PS/2 external 5.25" drive). Don't currently have the drive, but I plan on getting one. (This came from my broken Model 80)

8514/A display adapter with the full 1MB of RAM. I got this card off of eBay for $8.60!

IBM dual async adapter (also came from my broken Model 80).

387 coprocessor (from the broken Model 80)

New CMOS battery.

I also found a new piece of foam for the extra hard drive compartment!

This machine also has the Mitsubishi FDD, so it's going to have to be recapped before it will work. So I'm currently borrowing the Sony FDD from my Model 60 until the caps arrive. (It has 7 SMD caps total on it, 5 on the top board and two on the bottom board) It was also missing the bezel for the FDD so I just used the one from my broken Model 80.

Also this machine was NOT packed well at all! It actually got a very small crack in the corner of the side panel (can be seen in pictures). Not a big deal but I'm going to try and get the seller to give me a partial refund, because when you give someone money for a dirty, 30 year old computer the least they can do is pack it up well.

And now for the funny part. When I got this machine configured, and then restarted it, my jaw was on the floor when it showed "Starting Windows 95..."! That's right, someone installed Windows 95 on this thing! It's painfully slow. The biggest reason for this though (aside from it being a 386DX 20), is the fact that is has the stock 110MB ESDI drive, which just is not enough (capacity or speed wise) for Windows 95! It also has MS Office on it! So the drive is pretty much completely full (only 860KB free)! Good news though is that the drive seems to be healthy! (it sounds really cool too):D

So here are some pics (sorry for the horrible pics of the monitor, my iPhone camera obviously doesn't like CRT's too much).

Attachments

• IMG_3659.jpg
    IMG_3659.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3660.jpg
    IMG_3660.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3658.jpg
    IMG_3658.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3652.jpg
    IMG_3652.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3653.jpg
    IMG_3653.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3661.jpg
    IMG_3661.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3663.jpg
    IMG_3663.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 2
I now have formatted the hard drive and installed a copy of OS/2 2.1 on it. I’ve never used OS/2 before, but so far it seems like a really cool OS! I’m so happy to finally have my dream PS/2 working!

Congratulations! Looks like a great machine! In 2011/2 I owned two PS/2 Model 80s and both had a lot of disintegrated foam as well.

Back