• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Decent socket 370 motherboard in Baby AT form factor.

alpher

Experienced Member
Looking for a decent performing prefferably Intel 810 chipset Baby AT form factor motherboard.
Either socket 370 or slot1 are fine, I need minimum 2 PCI slots preferably more one ISa slot would be great. BX chipset would be fine, if you have a decent performing AMD moobo will consider that too.
Either way the most important is the form factor, it must be Baby AT .
Thanks.

wow, I wrote a whole post detailing how this unholy combination never existed, then started looking out of sheer curiosity. Turns out some exist! look: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273723505524

why 810?

The seller is a jabbering jackass for charging extra for the i/o cables that you kinda are required to have, but at least you have a model to look for. That said, he has one. but shipping from latvia...

Another option is the Asus MEW-B, but I don't see any on ePay at the moment. (i'd hold out for the Asus)

:p I've seen what's on eBay, may have to settle for one of these but, none of them suits me 100%.
For starters they all really far away (Latvia, Ukraine etc.) secondly none of them has all the features I need and there is the price :( .
Board like this is pretty much worthless these days, not old enough to be a vintage and certainly not usable as a modern computing platform.
So looks like nobody in N.A. considers them worthy enough to even list them for sale.
And I do really need one, out of desperation I just meassured the case dimmensions hoping that maybe mini ATX could be fitted there (butchering the back of it of course) , no go.
For the curious minds here, a pic of the patient in question:
1xqJRbu.jpg

I have an Asus P2B-B system that I might consider parting out. Baby AT, Slot 1, 440BX, AGP, 3*PCI, 2*ISA. Currently has a PIII 550, 320MB ECC, Matrox G+/PROA/4BC/2U, Promise Ultra66, Adaptec 2910 SCSI, etc. I built about 1/2 dozen systems based on this motherboard and up to 1GHz PIII's ... all were rock solid.

If you're interested, PM me with a reasonable offer.

That hardware looks really specialized, I'd recommend keeping original if possible. If you MUST upgrade, I'd suggest a 440BX board as they are stable, reliable and reasonably priced.

The possibility exists that the software and special hardware expect a certain motherboard with a certain chipset.

What's the purpose of the system anyway? Might I ask?

That hardware looks really specialized, I'd recommend keeping original if possible. If you MUST upgrade, I'd suggest a 440BX board as they are stable, reliable and reasonably priced.

The possibility exists that the software and special hardware expect a certain motherboard with a certain chipset.

What's the purpose of the system anyway? Might I ask?

Sure, but first let have some fun :p
Can anybody guess what it is?
It runs windows 95 or 98 but it's not a computer at all, i'ts been proven to work with any reasonable motherboard as long as it fully supports windows 98.
It has a really specialized hardware inside that the drivers only exist for windows 9x .
And is still a very usefull piece of equipment with rather hi end specs.
Can you guess?

The 810/810E boards were were a mixed bag. If you've got ISA slots, I'd pick a 440BX chipset board over an 8xx board any day. Slot 1 boards are probably a bit more common in the semi-vintage market than Socket 370, but still can turn in very respectable performance.

I've been looking at the same 'fastest baby-AT motherboard' issue (Dolch PAC 66/486). Baby-AT 370/slot 1 motherboards are very few and far between. Lots more selection in the SuperSocket 7, AMD-K6-III motherboards.

The 810/810E boards were were a mixed bag. If you've got ISA slots, I'd pick a 440BX chipset board over an 8xx board any day. Slot 1 boards are probably a bit more common in the semi-vintage market than Socket 370, but still can turn in very respectable performance.

I could probably live without ISA, the 2 ISA cards used here are ethernet, which I could easy replace with PCI one or skip alltogether as it's not essential to operation.
The second is IEEE 488 / GPIB , also could live without.

Budgett? that would depend, but ballpark figure ~ $50 bucks, judging for what they're going on eBay.

OK, bought PCParnter BSB871S from a guy in Ukraine, will see how it goes, $45 shipping included.
But the frustration continues, looks like the windows 98 startup floppy doesn't include Format command ?
Is that so? or I have some defective copy, downloaded from winworld site, I fdisked the CF drive that I put instead of a dead IBM travelstar that came with the unit, no issues here.
But how the f..ck I'm supposed to format the damn thing?
I's getting even better, just realized that I don't ave any IDE CD drives anymore, will have to source one, I remember well throwing something like 20 of them away some years ago, :(
And here's some pics of whats its all about:

DRXVYCO.jpg

kRIO3UD.jpg

Sure, but first let have some fun :p
Can anybody guess what it is?
It runs windows 95 or 98 but it's not a computer at all, i'ts been proven to work with any reasonable motherboard as long as it fully supports windows 98.
It has a really specialized hardware inside that the drivers only exist for windows 9x .
And is still a very usefull piece of equipment with rather hi end specs.
Can you guess?

"It runs windows 95 or 98 but it's not a computer at all,"
I thought OSCILLOSCOPE!
Scrolled down... :p

I'd love to snag one like this at some point... But I need to avoid giving into impulse purchasing. My 20MHz analogue does most of what I need (the pots could use a cleaning though), and my HP 16500B takes oscilloscope cards, so I might want to just track down one of those for a good price.

"It runs windows 95 or 98 but it's not a computer at all,"
I thought OSCILLOSCOPE!
Scrolled down... :p

I'd love to snag one like this at some point... But I need to avoid giving into impulse purchasing. My 20MHz analogue does most of what I need (the pots could use a cleaning though), and my HP 16500B takes oscilloscope cards, so I might want to just track down one of those for a good price.
Stay away while you still can, test equipment addiction is very real and costly!!!:cool:
This would be my 7th scope, I really need to get rid of couple of them, but how?? I like them all :D

Stay away while you still can, test equipment addiction is very real and costly!!!:cool:
This would be my 7th scope, I really need to get rid of couple of them, but how?? I like them all :D

Yeah. Best thing to do is make a list of the stuff you ACTUALLY need and just keep an eye for when it's on for a good price.
I actually picked up my HP 16500B at a local retro-computer meet. The guy had a second one and wanted to get rid of it, and I offered him $100, he said, "sold!" I was looking at cheap USB logic analyzers online, but this was the right thing at the right price and the right time, especially given what shipping would have cost if I got one of these on eBay :eek:

Back