• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Anyone do recap work? Need IBM floppy drive done

aaron7

Experienced Member
I have a pair of IBM portables; a P70 and a 5545T (Japanese variant). Neither floppy drive worked as both have leaky SMT caps.

I tried my hand at doing one drive and it wasn't fun. Not much room to work on that board especially the ones near the spindle motor.

Not sure if I didn't do something right (there were several bad traces I had to repair) or if the drive has other issues.

I would like to have a pro do the other drive. Someone who has done these before.

Anyone on here do such work?69109126_10215713416052325_4009564348358852608_o.jpg68509752_10215713444853045_2763325058519662592_o.jpg

Don't you think it might help to know where you are located?

Your Profile conveniently holds that info so you don't have to mention it every time you post a message. :)

I have a pair of IBM portables; a P70 and a 5545T (Japanese variant). Neither floppy drive worked as both have leaky SMT caps.

I tried my hand at doing one drive and it wasn't fun. Not much room to work on that board especially the ones near the spindle motor.

Not sure if I didn't do something right (there were several bad traces I had to repair) or if the drive has other issues.

I would like to have a pro do the other drive. Someone who has done these before.

Anyone on here do such work?View attachment 55264View attachment 55265

Are you sure they are leaking? The second pic isnt that clear but i can see a brown substance pooled ouround various SMD caps / resistors etc. It could also be residual flux or in some cases I've seen boards where the components are varnished - a sort of potting, protection from humidity etc?

Rather than randomly replacing caps, get one of those cheap component testers off eBay such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264428088029

- you can attach some test prods to it and possibly test the caps in - circuit. Resistors can be tested similarly or with a multimeter. If the caps cant be tested in - circuit, these component testers usually have 3 pads on the PCB that act as test points for SMD caps/transistors etc. Try removing the worst of the caps you think is leaking and see if it IS actually faulty?

I do recap work on older logic boards and SMPS's - also socketed many ICs on ZX spectrum boards and the like for a number of people. I tend to do more through - hole stuff than SMD however. I'm guessing you are in the US? I am not :)

Your Profile conveniently holds that info so you don't have to mention it every time you post a message. :)

With the incredible invention of the postage system in 1775 we can actually send things anywhere in the world!

Sorry, honestly not sure why my location is relevant. I have no problem shipping this to Uganda is that's where the person may be.

Are you sure they are leaking? The second pic isnt that clear but i can see a brown substance pooled ouround various SMD caps / resistors etc. It could also be residual flux or in some cases I've seen boards where the components are varnished - a sort of potting, protection from humidity etc?

Rather than randomly replacing caps, get one of those cheap component testers off eBay such as:

- you can attach some test prods to it and possibly test the caps in - circuit. Resistors can be tested similarly or with a multimeter. If the caps cant be tested in - circuit, these component testers usually have 3 pads on the PCB that act as test points for SMD caps/transistors etc. Try removing the worst of the caps you think is leaking and see if it IS actually faulty?

I do recap work on older logic boards and SMPS's - also socketed many ICs on ZX spectrum boards and the like for a number of people. I tend to do more through - hole stuff than SMD however. I'm guessing you are in the US? I am not :)

That picture is AFTER the repair, as I said in the post. That is flux, yes, as well as covering for the replaced traces.

They were not randomly replaced; they were leaking as all IBM Alps drives do. It corroded the board.

As I mentioned, I'm looking for someone versed with these drives as it is a known repair.

Rather than randomly replacing caps, get one of those cheap component testers off eBay

So if I am not mistaken in order to test components, like capacitors, you'd need to remove them right? IMO if you are removing them, then you may as well replace them since they are well beyond their life span and there is little reason to put them back, even if they test ok, especially if they are a know fail point.

With the incredible invention of the postage system in 1775 we can actually send things anywhere in the world!

Sorry, honestly not sure why my location is relevant. I have no problem shipping this to Uganda is that's where the person may be.
I believe it's actually the Postal System. :)

So, you'll pay the postage in both directions, I guess.

What if there were a techie that lived within about 10 miles or so from you? Wouldn't that be a viable option for you?

I'll see if I can find a contact on Tristan da Cunha. Shipping may be a bit slow...

I guess I was just hoping there would be someone known in the community that knows these blasted PS2 floppy drives in and out so I could receive back a perfect original drive to keep my system going.

Sorry for the snarky responses, I'm too used to Facebook groups and quick judgement/just google it replies.

So if I am not mistaken in order to test components, like capacitors, you'd need to remove them right? IMO if you are removing them, then you may as well replace them since they are well beyond their life span and there is little reason to put them back, even if they test ok, especially if they are a know fail point.

This is correct.

I believe it's actually the Postal System. :)

So, you'll pay the postage in both directions, I guess.

What if there were a techie that lived within about 10 miles or so from you? Wouldn't that be a viable option for you?

Ahh, I stand corrected. And yes, of course I'd expect to pay all postage costs. I've had many things fixed in the past from carburetors to controllers.

If there was one, it'd be us. Our shop does all sorts of board-level repairs. Just don't have the expertise to align heads apparently heh.

I was thinking more along the lines of one of our members who might live near you but nobody has the slightest idea of where that might be. :)

That type of component tester is garbage, the screens usually fall off because they're designed to be in a case and not free floating like they're built. This type of tester:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222520569499

is far better because it's a self contained unit that's much less prone to damage from just handling it.

you can attach some test prods to it and possibly test the caps in - circuit.

Capacitors cannot be reliably tested in circuit with any test equipment because the parasitic drain of nearby components will throw off readings. You're also liable to damage the meter from residual voltage present in the circuit, capacitors should be drained before they're tested, ESPECIALLY on these cheap capacitor testers because they usually have the part directly connected to a microcontroller with no protection circuitry. Sending even a small voltage spike will damage them and cause them to fail.

Good luck getting anything from Hong Kong lately!

Yeah, they've been having some nasty weather lately, been delaying shipments. Was it last week or the week before? they were slammed by two monster typhoons in a row.

Somewhere there's a joke about weather underground. But then, I still don't think it's quite kosher to joke about that stuff. In any case, the weather seems to be a lesser concern there, at the moment.

I still think you should put that in your signature. :D

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Stone
Good luck getting anything from Hong Kong lately!

Yeah, they've been having some nasty weather lately, been delaying shipments. Was it last week or the week before? they were slammed by two monster typhoons in a row.
I was thinking more along the lines that their airport has been closed for days due to protests. :)

Back